Chemotherapy has not finished after all.

@Asylum (46838)
Manchester, England
I was originally scheduled for 9 sessions of chemotherapy, broken into 3 sets of 3 days. Last Wednesday I had what I expected to be my last chemotherapy session and yesterday visited the hospital for an X-ray and to discover what the next step would be. When I finally got to see the doctor I was informed that she was very happy with the progress so far, so I genuinely expected to be given a future date for rechecking etcetera. Instead I was told that my next set of 3 chemotherapy treatments would begin in 2 weeks. The fact that I appear to be making some progress was good news, but I certainly did not expect further chemotherapy at this stage. It almost feels as though the clock has been turned back to the beginning.
• Marion, Kansas
I am sure that is disappointing. Hang in there. I know, that is easy for me to say. Perhaps it is because you are showing progress that you are going to have more treatment. Either that or the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing and someone was mixed up.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It was a great disappointment, so now I shall be hoping for a better response the next time around.
At least progress is being made. I guess they want it to continue or something since I am not sure how the procedure actually goes...
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
Hopefully I will have a better result after the next set of chemotherapy.
Well, this is only half good news. It's good because you made good progress, the bad is that you need a next set of 3. Now you have 2 weeks of rest before the next set.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
Chemotherapy can have a harsh effect on the body, which is why I was hoping for a reasonable break from it.
@Asylum I know, I was also hoping it was finished. You are surely very tired and it would have been a big relieve to know you had not to go back. Let's hope that the next set of 3 sessions is the last one.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck That is precisely what I am hoping.
I think they are being thorough. Stay strong.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
Yes they are being thorough, but for some reason this further chemotherapy was never even referred to before.
@Asylum Probably didn't want to tell you everything all at once, but in my thinking it seems to be the normal procedure until everything is under control.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@Kandae11 I would have been happier knowing from the start.
@sabtraversa (9818)
If she says there's progress, there must be progress, so no clock turning back. Fortunately. Stay strong.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
I accept your point, but the treatment is now starting afresh.
@1creekgirl (8381)
I can understand your disappointment. But hopefully the doctor knows what's best and you'll get through this. Think how wonderful it will be when you are finally finished. I'll keep you in my prayers...God is merciful.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
Obviously the doctor knows best, but I would have liked to have known earlier that the chemotherapy had not finished.
@Asylum Yes, it would have not been such a shock if the doctor had given you a heads up earlier about it.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@1creekgirl Exactly.
@Platespinner (18095)
That must have been rather disheartening.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It certainly was, but I will have to accept it.
@Asylum Hope this round goes smoothly and you'll be able to put this behind you.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@Platespinner I am just hoping that it is the last 3 sessions.
Did they even explain why this was going to happen? I hope that you question them about it. I have been wondering how you have been doing. I send a big hug your way.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
She said that 4 such sessions was standard, but this was never mentioned previously.
@Asylum try to remain positive. The fact that you are making progress is a good sign.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@ElusiveButterfly This is true.
@singhisback (2258)
• Jalandhar, India
I'm glad that it's going well. Have a very quick recovery.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It is going very well so far, so maybe this next 3 day session will be the last for a while.
• Jalandhar, India
@Asylum Wishing you all the best
@Lizirazo (2517)
Glad there's progress. Pray and hope all works out fine
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It does look as though I am winning to some degree.
@Lizirazo (2517)
@Asylum you will definitely win my friend.
I am so sorry. They did this with Tony as well, when he thought he was finished and everything was gone they added more. 25 radiation treatments turned into 33, and 4 very strong bi weekly chemos turned into 6. Then scans and next surgery to get rid of the liver tumor, that made his a stage 4 lung cancer. Then 8 weeks after surgery he is getting ocdivo and yesterday, while Irma was hitting Alabama he was hooked up getting 5 of 6 treatments. BUT the last scan showed no active cancer and he will have another in October. After the one scan the computer was down so it was 3 more weeks before he seen the doctor and Tony had me to ask the questions, one was " is the cancer still eating him up?" and that is when he finally found out he was in remission and the ocdivo will be the watch dog in his body and kill off cancer cells from making. BUT the ocdivo makes him so tired for the first week. All of Tony`s treatments began in January but he did have a couple months here and there to recover and go at it again. Just hang in there, make sure to keep up your weight, eat whatever you can stand or not, just eat. Make sure you ask questions about things you want to know, write them down at home and take them with you. I know how hard this is but you can do it.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
For me this will make 12 chemotherapy treatments instead of the expected 9. I would not be surprised to have radiotherapy afterwards, but did not expect further chemotherapy treatments so soon.
@Asylum I do understand hat is why I say, talk and talk with the doctor, ask all those "what if`s" Radiation is nothing compared to chemo, 99.99% you will not even feel it, maybe have a red spot on the skin where it goes in and that`s about it.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@andriaperry I am sure that radiotherapy would be easier to cope with than chemotherapy.
• Portland, Connecticut
Great news that she was happy with your progress and I imagine she wants to keep it going to get further progress. I am sure it was disappointing to have more but if the end result is good, it will all be worth it. I know you are not a hugger but II am virtually hugging you anyway!! This too shall pass.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum I can only imagine how horrible it is. But if it gives you a longer life, it is worth it, n'est pas? You have so much life left to enjoy after this part is done.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr Life loses value if it becomes necessary to endure constant unpleasant treatment and discomfort.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
Did she say why more chemo, seems strange when she said you were doing well.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
She claims that this is standard procedure.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum Hmmm why were you not told this sooner I wonder.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@fishtiger58 Exactly what I wondered.
@m_audrey6788 (11004)
I think that they only want to make sure that everything went well and there will be no more problems can occur. Just relax and everything will turn out good. Wish you a nice day!
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It would not have been as disappointing if I had known about this before.
@Asylum I'm sorry to hear that but glad that it seems to be working. When my dad was going through it they only told him the first set initially because they wanted to see if it was having an affect. He too was disappointed when he was told they were continuing it. The key is that they have seen progress which is positive and indicates you have a greater hope of success! I'm praying for you.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
I do appreciate that, but was really looking forward to a rest from the effects of chemotherapy.
@Asylum I know. You need rest from the effects. I hope they are not as bad this time around.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@Berniezeitler I am learning to deal with them, but they are not easy.
That sounds disappointing. I hope the extra session will be the last one.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It comprises of 3 days of chemotherapy.
@Asylum That sounds like it would be really hard on the body.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries It certainly is.
I'm glad you're making progress. Sorry the next round starts in two weeks.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It will start on Monday, whereas I was hoping for a break from it.
@Asylum I'm sorry you didn't get any kind of break and hope this round is successful.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@just4him I am hoping that it is the last for a while.
If you are making progress you have to look at more treatments as a good thing. You are fighting a hard fight, keep it up.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
It seems to become harder every treatment.
@Asylum Let's hope/pray these next three is the end of chemo.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@Srbageldog (4936)
I imagine that must have been discouraging to hear. I hope your next set of chemo treatments go smoothly with no complications.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
I would have preferred a period of rest instead.
@Asylum I can only imagine. I hope that this will be the last round of chemo and that you'll be in remission afterward and can finally rest.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@Srbageldog I am hoping exactly the same.
@CoralLevang (39888)
I understand how disappointing this is. All I can do is say that I'm sending out some big hugs and know that I'm there to make you laugh and keep you going forward!
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
Thank you.
@CoralLevang (39888)
@Asylum I mean that, Barry.