Is that REALLY what they Think of Me?

Winston Salem, North Carolina
The Big People around here have settled down to a new school year, there isn’t a lot for me to do during the day, so I have been listening in on some of the lessons. A large part of their current studies involve reading about the 20th Century. That seems like ancient history to me, after all I don’t remember much more than the past six weeks or so; but some of the lessons have been kind of interesting. Today’s lesson really grabbed my attention. What would go through your head if you opened a newspaper and read your own obituary? That’s exactly what happened approximately 130 years ago to a Swedish man. What he read wasn’t exactly flattering. The text referred to him as a “merchant of death” and accused him of building his fortune by devising new ways to “mutilate and kill.” The individual in question held 355 patents that included designs for detonators and a smokeless gunpowder. His most well known invention was dynamite, and anyone who has ever watched the Road Runner Looney Tunes how useful that particular item can be in causing mayhem and destruction. I don’t think anyone enjoys reading negative things about themselves and this man was no exception. Reading that obituary, though, gave the man a chance to change his legacy. His will left instructions to bequeath large financial prizes to individuals who have made significant contributions to the advancement of science, literature and peace. The man was Alfred Nobel; the initiator of the Nobel Prizes for Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Economics (added in 1969), Literature, and, of course, Peace.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Not to be confused with Alfred Noble. Alfred Nobel Alfred Nobel Born Alfred Bernhard Nobel (1833-10-21)21 October 1833 Stockholm, Sweden, Sweden–Norway Died 10 December 1896(1896-12-10) (age
That is really interesting and I do not remember learning about it before. Guess who's household will now learn about it? Yup, mine! Thanks for sharing this. =)
Glad you enjoyed it, I figure I might as well take advantage of any educational opportunities that come my way, and if I happen across anything particularly interesting it will give me something else to write about (my life isn't particularly exciting when the Big People aren't on the road).
Love the history lesson. If I ever read that before (I think I must have) I had completely forgotten.
The Huis Vrouw insists that reading part of the lesson's aloud gives her a chance to learn right along with the last homescholar. The books are too big for me to tackle by myself .
So glad you are paying attention to some of the school work that is going on in your home, Emmett!!! I think the Big People need to make a little bitty quiz for you to take regarding Alfred Nobel.
I'm not sure the Big People could write small enough for me. Come to think of it, the Huis Vrouw's handwriting is pretty atrocious at the best of times.
@Platespinner A verbal quiz is in order, Emmett.
@Corbin5 Somehow I suspect if there is a quiz, it will involve a lot more than just Mr. Dynamite, even if it is a verbal quiz.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That's an interesting story.I don't think I want to know what will be said about me.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
They couldn't acuse me of that but I don't want to know anything else they might say. @Platespinner
@RubyHawk I suspect that people will only have nice things to say about you when you're gone. Hopefully they're saying them to you now as well.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Platespinner I hope everyone say good things about you too.
@FayeHazel (10783)
That is very interesting. It sounds like a gift from God that he read that about himself
"Write you own obituary" is a fairly common highschool creative writing assignment...but I think it makes a much bigger impact when someone else writes it, especially if it tells the unvarnished, and unpleasant, truth.
@FayeHazel (10783)
@Platespinner I think you're right - and I would feel weird writing my own. :/
@FayeHazel It is kind of weird, but it does force an individual to stop and think about their priorities.
Reading your own obituary would be disconcerting, but when it brings about positive change, it can't be all bad.
From what I understand his brother passed away and a French reporter got the facts mixed up. It seems the media have been getting things wrong for a very long time.
@Platespinner Yes they have. So funny about the mix-up.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Well this is very interesting Emmet. I had heard of Alfred but not known this part of his history. Hope you get to listen in and learn more Emmet, and thanks for sharing with us.
Listening to school work is much more interesting than watching TV. Especially when the TV is rarely ever actually turned on.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Glad you can listen in on the lessons. It sounds interesting I never knew the history you shared with us!
There is lots to learn, I just have to remember to pay attention (my brains are pretty small, so that's not always easy to do).
@Platespinner as long as you try your best, that is all that counts! Hope you share some more interesting things you learn as what you shared on this post was very interesting!
@kepweng (5869)
do you already watch batman lego and the new release ninja go lego?
Nope, we haven't had much time for movie watching around here lately.
@UncleJoe (8094)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I hear you, Emmett. Just when I think I have done something brilliant, Becky tells me how stupid it was.
I guess brilliance is like beauty, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Reading that changed the way that he thought.
...and changed what the rest of the world remembers him for.
And this poor man is now turning and tossing in his grave seeing how some prizes were given.
No doubt!
I hope you keep listening in on lessons and relaying stuff back to us. I found this really interesting as I didn't know any of this.
I'll try to keep my ears perked for other interesting tidbits of information.
You will learn a lot from just listening.
The books are too big for me to handle so that's my only option for now. School is kinda fun.
What an amazing story. Didn't know about this. Thank you.
Glad you enjoyed it. So far the history studies around here have been full of fascinating stories, I'm sure I'll be sharing more as the school year progresses.
You're gaining the wisdom my friend!
Knowledge perhaps, wisdom will only be apparent if I can wisely apply the knowledge that I have gained. Ooooohhh, that sounded rather erudite didn't it--not bad for a dude with a very small brain!
• Pamplona, Spain
Great information thank you for sharing this one. I don´t know how mine would read hope it would be good at least.
@salonga (27969)
It is good the man decided to change his legacy.