Send in the Troops!

@moffittjc (32124)
Gainesville, Florida
Early this morning when I reported to work, I headed over to one of our city swimming pools to get staff assigned to their cleanup duties. All of a sudden, a small convoy of military trucks pulled up in front of me, and a squad of army soldiers in full battle fatigues and armed with M-16 rifles jumped out and spread out in front of the entrance. I approached the squad leader to ask what was going on. Me: "Excuse me sir, what's going on?" Army Guy: "We were assigned to guard this facility." Me: "What? Why?" Army Guy: "To provide security and ensure that everyone remains safe." Me: "You do realize this is a swimming pool, right? I'm pretty sure we have everything under control here." Army Guy: "This isn't the evacuee shelter?" Me: "No sir. The shelter is next door at the gymnasium." Army Guy: "My apologies. We're sorry if we frightened you." Me: "Are those M-16s loaded?" Army Guy: "Yes sir they are." Me: "Carry on then." That gave me a good laugh to start my hectic day! Another funny thing was that the soldiers were very tight, formal and all business when they arrived. But that didn't stop my female lifeguards from salivating over them (what girl doesn't like a man in uniform?) So around noon I asked my female guards if they wanted to deliver meals and drinks to the soldiers, and of course they jumped at the opportunity! And when the soldiers saw my lifeguards coming, all of a sudden they were all smiles! I'm pretty sure that over the next couple of days (or however long the soldiers are stationed here), I will be able to get anything I want from those soldiers! ...well, as long as I send my female lifeguards to do the asking! Haha Do you think they'll let me go for a ride in an M-1 tank?
Oh goodness not very good to come to a wrong address. I confirm, girls love the uniform, my first serious BF was in the Navy.
I always loved men in uniform too (when I was young and unmarried)
@marlina In Italy the uniforms of the Aviators were the most beautiful.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@marlina it's ok to like men in uniform even if you're old and married! I'm not suggesting you're old!
@kobesbuddy (7028)
• East Tawas, Michigan
LOL Jeff, this is so darn funny! I can't believe it, loaded M-16s to guard a swimming pool? Could it be, you have shark infested water, but didn't know it? Female lifeguards+Soldiers in full uniform=Smiles
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think everybody is going to sleep with a smile on their face tonight...the soldiers for seeing some cute lifeguards; the lifeguards for seeing some cute soldiers; and me for getting to climb all over their military vehicles! They didn't let me play with the tank though!
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc Darn it, I'd love to play with one of those tanks! Those military vehicles are awesome:) Smiles on female lifeguards, smiles on soldiers? Can't beat that with a big stick!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy Of course, the big question I have in this entire situation is...why did they bring tanks with them if they're their to help keep us safe? What are they going to do, blow up looters with a tank? haha
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Never a dull day in your life.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@moffittjc My best friend in high school lived with a police officer for awhile and one night I went to him and patted his leg and asked him if that was his night stick or if he was just happy to see me lol
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@moffittjc I can't believe they let you out in public lol
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns They try not to let me out, but every now and them I'm able to sneak out before they catch me!
You are hilarious! . I'm sure most women love a man in uniform.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love a woman in uniform...a cheerleader uniform, a tight nurse uniform, a sexy bikini uniform. Wait...that last one might not be a uniform, but you won't ever hear me complaining about it!
@moffittjc Duh! Why did I assume that to be true?
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN I promise, I'm not a sexist, chauvinistic pig!
Seems like a win win for you...the soldiers are happy and the lifeguards are happy
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I just hope my lifeguards and the soldiers don't start sneaking off in the bushes for a little too much fun!
@moffittjc guess you'll have to keep your eyes on them
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marilynda1225 I always keep a close eye on my staff. They are college kids, after all! lol
@DeborahDiane (14318)
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - That is a great story! I think you handled it very well. It is a little scary to think the army could go to the wrong place. I read that a few years ago a bunch of vacationers were sitting on a beach in Southern Spain when an attack force made landing! They were British and they were supposed to be landing on the Rock of Gilbrater, but they missed that island and ended up on the Spanish beach. That's pretty scary, isn't it ... but also kind of funny!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
They actually were in the right place, because the whole recreation complex (pool, stadium, gym) all share the same address. They just went to the wrong building! When you pull into the parking lot of the complex, the pool is the first thing you come to. So I don't want anyone to think that these guys didn't know where they were going! lol
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - That's good to know that they were not in the completely wrong place ... unlike the British soldiers that invades the coast of Spain!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DeborahDiane My question is, when Britain accidentally invaded Spain, were the Spanish troops right there waiting for them, or did the whole situation catch the Spanish military asleep at the helm?
@Freelanzer (6116)
A scary situation that turned out OK. I am with your lifeguards - love a man in uniform
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I never realized just how much women love men in uniform! But judging from the comments, I think I should wear my uniform when I finally meet all you lovely myLot ladies! Haha
@ramapo17 (17154)
• Melbourne, Florida
@moffittjc I am the type of person that goes to parades and cries or fills up when I see any of the military marching down the parade route. My dad was a medic in the army in WWII, my grandfather was a marine and then went into the Coast Guard years later. My first husband was an officer in the Merchant Marines. I loveeeee uniforms.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
19h
@ramapo17 Nancy, you and I are so much alike! I get the same way at parades and events in which Vets or active military are involved. I still tear up every time I hear the National Anthem. Just for everything it stands for.
Too funny!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
Do you know if they sent troops to Jax? I was surprised to see them in Gainesville. I thought they would have been more needed in south Florida.
@moffittjc I'm not sure, we haven't seen any. However, where they need the help is downtown and we don't live near there.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LovingMyBabies I saw on the news last night a story about the downtown area, as well as many of the areas of the city that were flooded from the storm surge. I can't believe Jax got hit as hard as it did. But I do hope they send those troops down to south Florida, because there are places down there that just got completely leveled and need all the help they can get.
@YrNemo (4091)
You never know! (You are right re: females seem to love men in uniforms, why is that I wonder! )
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
Don't worry, us men like a woman in uniform too! It must be a inform thing! haha
@YrNemo (4091)
@moffittjc Serious? like nurses or air hostesses? or topless waitresses (in their uniforms )?
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@YrNemo Well, I was thinking lifeguard uniforms, or maybe schoolgirl uniforms, but I also like your suggestions! haha
@Raelove (14034)
• Saco, Maine
I will not expound upon the whole "man in uniform" thing other than to say that I can relate to your female lifeguards. That said, I am always extremely moved whenever I see a military unit anywhere for any reason, either marching in parades or driving by in convoys. There is just something so comforting about seeing that, along with their stiff discipline and no-nonsense demeanors. I dated a sailor a few years back and was always impressed by how protective he was. As for a ride in an M-1, I'd forget about that. Something to do with your having the wrong type of equipment...
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've been keeping my eye out for a female tank commander...no luck so far!
@Raelove (14034)
• Saco, Maine
@moffittjc You know the old saying "Never say never."
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Raelove My motto is "never say never," but that makes it kind of hard to tell people my motto. haha
@Platespinner (16826)
You seem to have then perfect setup. Get one of those lifeguards to arrange a joy-ride for you!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
That might give my lifeguard a joy ride, instead of me! haha
• Lakewood, Colorado
Haha they probably will let you Jeff after the lifeguards coming over to them lol That is freaking hilarious. I love the all seriousness of it, at guarding the swimming pool.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
They didn't stay long, as they were all reassigned to a deployment in the Florida Keys. The military sent 10,000 troops to the Keys to help with cleanup and recovery
@franxav (3323)
With the squad under your control you can make them do anything for you!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I just want to play with the tank and see if they'll let me blow up something! haha
@bluesa (9868)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Lol, I certainly love a man in uniform! I blame Richard Gere...sigh. I am so happy you were able to inform them they were guarding a pool so heavily for those few seconds, lol. If you don't ask you won't know, send one of your lovely lifeguards over and ask for the ride in that tank!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
Unfortunately, they cleared out of Gainesville yesterday afternoon and headed south to the Florida Keys. They are redirection thousands of soldiers down there to help with the devastated islands.
@bluesa (9868)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc , sorry you never got to ride in the tank. Those islands were ripped to shreds, thank goodness the soldiers are heading out there to help.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa It's probably better that I didn't get to ride in the tank. With my luck, I would have asked them to let me drive it and I would have run over a house or a car of something! Or I would have accidentally pushed the wrong button or trigger or something and fired a shell and blew a hole in the side of a building or something! Because that's just my luck! haha
@ramapo17 (17154)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are one funny guy. Everyone needs some humor and especially in trying times.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not the funny guy, it was the situation that was funny! I should have just left the soldiers there guarding my pool! haha
@ramapo17 (17154)
• Melbourne, Florida
@moffittjc I would have been scared stiff.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ramapo17 In this situation, seeing our troops come in and take control of things and help us recover after the storm is a welcome sight, not a scary one!
@MarymargII (7725)
• Toronto, Ontario
Sure- you already broke the ice by talking to that guard- now you're old buddies!
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
Too bad they're not still here in Gainesville! They got redeployed to the Florida Keys to help with cleanup efforts down there. The Governor sent 10,000 troops down to the Keys.
• Toronto, Ontario
@moffittjc Good fpor him- they sure can use it by the looks of things.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MarymargII The governor said he wants the Keys back open for tourists by next week, but officials in the Keys said it may take many weeks before that can happen. The mayor of Key West said his city is shooting to be back open for business by October 20, when their famous Fantasy Fest event is scheduled to begin.
@shshiju (8843)
• Cochin, India
Oh thats an interesting story. A wrong address can make lot of problems . Lol
• Dallas, Texas
There was a news report about a demolition crew going to the wrong house and completely bulldozing it to a pile of rubble when the owner told them it was the house next door that was supposed to be destroyed, and boy did they sue.
A Pittsburgh man says he returned to his home after the holidays to find a backhoe sitting where he house should have been. City officials say a contractor a...
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
@lookatdesktop Oh, that must have been horrific for those homeowners. A house is easily replaceable, but if they had lots of sentimental keepsakes inside the house, you can never get those back.
• Dallas, Texas
@moffittjc and what if the family cat were inside at the time? OMG
@SonjaRae (5699)
You had me laughing at it's a swimming pool LOL
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wondering if the soldiers will ask me if they can go swimming before they leave the area? I'll let them...once they take me for a ride in their tank!
@SonjaRae (5699)
@moffittjc there you go it's a perfect trade off.
@SonjaRae (5699)
@moffittjc don't push it Jeff!
• Dallas, Texas
I wouldn't want to press my luck, maybe you can get some selfies with the ladies in uniform.
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have plenty of selfies with the ladies, but for my safety and security I choose to keep them private! hahaha
I think I must be a bit weird; I'm not turned on in the slightest by a man in uniform. Maybe it's because the sort of men I'm attracted to aren't the kind who would have a job involving a uniform. Hmmm ...
@moffittjc (32124)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, you're officially weird! But you're not alone...I want you to know that I'm not attracted to men in uniform either!