What Are Kids Doing Out This Late?

Some of my neighbors in the apartment building next to ours have been hanging outside all night. Their kids are outside with them, running around and screaming in the streets. It is nearly 11 p.m. On a school night. No wonder teachers have trouble getting kids to mind in school these days. Some of them are out playing in the street at all hours and have no set bedtime! This isn't just a one time occurrence, nor are these the only people in our neighborhood who let their little darlings run wild in the middle of the night. I have babysat for families and even have friends who won't enforce bedtimes with their kids and instead let them stay up playing video games, watching TV, or playing on the computer until the kid "feels like" going to bed. When I was a kid, my bedtime was no later than 9 p.m. I didn't get to stay up til 10 p.m. on school nights until I was a teenager. A lot of kids these days have no set routines or boundaries. It is no wonder they are unruly and often have behavioral problems or can't concentrate in school. They're TIRED! I just don't get the whole concept of letting your school age child -- or even preschool age child -- stay up all night. It seems like setting them up for failure. Here in California, school districts are considering pushing their start times to later in the morning. It seems like a simpler solution is for parents to not let their first graders stay out past midnight playing with their friends.
• Guangdong, China
I really thanks for the routine bedtime setted by my mom from a very young age. I never stayed up late until 9:30PM on school nights when in primary school. My mom usually goes to bed before 10PM, so we remain the habit of early sleeping. God knows how could those parents let their children out for hanginig and playing. Believe me, this same situation happens in my neightbors too. How could the parents free their children out to have fun at 11:30PM, and their kids bark to the locked crazy dogs next to them! How horrible!
It's crazy how their parents can let them stay out so late. And what about the people (including other children) who are in bed trying to sleep while those kids run around, shrieking and making all kinds of noise? It's very inconsiderate, and also dangerous. You would think their parents would at least have some concern for their safety, but I guess not.
• Guangdong, China
@Srbageldog don't believe those lazy parents! They just want to relax themselves, and have no concern about their children!
@Behindtheguitarbar They should probably not have kids in their care.
My kids had a set bed time until they were in high school. That is the way it should be.
I agree. I don't get this whole "let the kid dictate the rules" (i.e. have no rules) thing that some parents subscribe to.
@m_audrey6788 (13844)
I agree, I don`t know in your place but here kids are not allowed to be playing around at 8pm if starts to get dark but on summer they are allowed until 10pm since during summer it starts to get dark at 10pm
In the summer it gets dark around 9 p.m. here, and there is no school so it's understandable when the kids are out late, especially if their parents are hanging around outside with them. But during the school year when kids are just roaming the street unsupervised late at night, it makes me wonder about their parents. I'm sure there is a curfew here too, but they are not following it.
@Srbageldog ..Oh..The parents responsibility is to make kids understands the reasons why they should not be out so late or must atleast explain to them the health benefits for them in sleeping early to bed
@m_audrey6788 Unfortunately, some parents are very irresponsible and don't take very good care of their kids. And others just don't see it as a problem to let their kids stay up as late as they want.
This is wrong and very bad. Kids need to stick to rules, they mus have a bad time and they should not be around at night. I am not surprised that they are so rude during the day.
I agree. I imagine it also makes it very difficult for the other neighborhood kids who are already in bed to get any sleep, when they can hear their friends running around screaming outside late into the night!
@Srbageldog I agree, they are a nuisance also for the kids who try to sleep.