I am EXTREMELY worried about Marty, my hamster as i think he is very sick

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
If any of my fellow my lotters knew Marty the way, I do you would know he is not acting right. First of all, he is not coming out of his bed in three or four days. He loves to come out and go into his ball for exercise and has not come out in all these days since Late Saturday night early Sunday morning. Also, he is not coming out of his bed except for less than a minute yesterday and has been in it since then. Also, he has not touched his food since the days i mentioned. He has not thrown around his food which is all seeds. Also, if he doesn't eat he sees them, and he fills up his cheeks and takes it to his bed and eats all day in bed, But sadly, no seeds missing in his bowl. One more thing, I gave Marty a seed stick the night I cleaned him, and he has not touched it. He usually eats it in one night. I called a crisis line to talk about this II was given the number last time that i was a patient in the hospital. I was asked where I lived and told they couldn't talk to me as I am not in the right county. Have you ever loved a pet more than any human even before the pet came into your life and since they came into your life as I love my Marty Have you ever worried about a pet as much as i am worried about Marty
@sugartoes (33946)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I have 7 dogs that if they don't look or act right I'm all over the place trying to figure it out for them so YEAH my pets comes 1st before anyone. I use to raise hamsters back in the day so I MIGHT be able to help you figure out what the problem is.
I thank you very much. This is new behavior from Marty. He has missed a day at most out in his ball. He always spends hours in it. Now he appears to not want to be out in it all?
@bluesa (11997)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Yes, I always worry about missy Daisy. I am sorry Marty is not feeling well, maybe you should take him to the vet @Marty1 ? They always know best what to do.
I am afraid he might not even be alive, and i am trying to avoid the reality of his being sick and possibly dying.
@bluesa (11997)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Marty1 , I am so sorry. Is there some one who could check for you? Maybe a friend could check Marty for you.
@bluesa I have just looked at him after I lightly shook his cage and he was breathing, so that is good news.
@silvermist (15818)
While I have never had a pet whom I loved that much,I know you love Marty more than any one in the world.Do you take Marty for check up once a year? Anyway I think you should take Marty to a vet to check him .Hope he gets well soon.
I don't take him to the vet as that would require a specialty vet and he never needed one before? I am so scared that I am afraid he might die that I don't want to face the reality of the situation as it hurts so bad.
@silvermist (15818)
@Marty1 What if you take him now to the vet,he will survive. Do that as early as possible.The other important thing is do not forget to take your medicines on time.
@silvermist I think he is acting more normal as he asked for the newspaper this morning while it was still dark since it is raining, I got it while still dark and he brewed his first of 10-12 pots of coffee a day as he lives to drink his extremely strong cups of black coffee while reading. I took my morning meds on time, just a few minutes ago. I don't have an exact time with meds just morning and night and the antipsychotic injection every two weeks I go for next Wednesday morning for my next dose.
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
You need to call a veterinarian's office, they can talk to you about hamster illnesses. He might need medication!
I am going to see how he does as he is breathing now
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marty1 Keep me posted, how your baby is doing!:)
@kobesbuddy i told you on the phone he moved and asked for the newspaper as he brewed a cup of coffee. I think he changed his whole position as it looks like his head is on the other side of his bedding? I can't tell really, but he is getting very talkative suddenly like normal!
@peachpurple (9949)
Take him to the vet, better be quick, save him
I have no way to get him there, but as I told @starlight i don't want to face the reality of the situation it hurts too bad as I thought he was going to be alive forever because we love each other so much. I am hurting more than I ever hurt in my life
@Marty1 eventhough it is true, you have to face the reality my dear.
@peachpurple I think he is doing better now, he is not eating or coming out, but he is a chatterbox again talking like crazy! He also read the newspaper with a cup of strong coffee
How old is he? How long do hamsters live for?
Marty will be two years old on the 25th of this month. I am told and read hamsters live for two years, but I thought he was going to be alive forever that we have such a bond that he would not die on me?
@Marty1 it is tough when our pets get old. I have a 14.5 year old cat and I'm always worried about when his time will be. I also just lost my other 14.5 year old cat last month. I hope Marty pulls through this.
I am so sorry to read this. I know how much Marty means to you and how much you love the little guy. I do hope that he will be okay. My heart breaks just reading this. Wish I lived closer so I could be with you right now. Pets are a huge part of our families and we love them so dearly. I want to hug you so badly. I wish there was something I could say or do to help.
thank you for being so kind, Marty might be getting better as he brewed a cup of strong, black coffee as he liked it and asked me for the newspaper that he adores reading. I had peeked in his bed, and he moved once in front of me, and now while i was away, i think he changed position as it looks like his head is on the other end of his bed. I also have him started a friendly fight of who loves each other more a daily fight for us
@Marty1 awwww so glad to hear that he is getting better. I have been praying for him.
@Happy2BeMe thank you so much! He is not eating but asked me for his newspaper while it was dark out yet this morning so that is normal .he also brewed a pot of coffee he so loves to drink all day while reading! He drinks it very strong at least ten pots a day! He says he is just not hungry? He doesn't discuss why he has not eaten and won't come out of his bed?
@FayeHazel (10878)
I'm so sorry, I know how you love Marty. It sounds like you are doing the best you can on your own. -- Maybe the internet could help? I know that cats don't tend to want to eat or drink when they have a respiratory cold. One time I had to use an eyedropper to give fluids to a car while she was sick. As for the crisis line - maybe they could put you in touch with the correct one in your county. ? Wish I could be more helpful... I hope he gets well soon
He asked for his newspaper and brewed a cup of his favorite coffee and read it and moved once in front of me then i think he totally changed position when I was not in the room as it looks like he moved his position, so his head is at the other end of the cage! But still, ot coming out of bed and not eating but hope he changes that problem tonight
@FayeHazel (10878)
@Marty1 Oh good, sounds like it's looking up! :-)
@FayeHazel I am hoping so! It would be great if he is alright!
• Riga, Latvia
I think you should take Marty to a vet right away to see what the matter is.
I think he is feeling better as he is stirring around his bed and is back to asking for his newspaper and brewing up pots of strong black coffee that he likes to drink with his newspaper
@ridingbet (36612)
i hope Marty is fine.he is such a sweet pet of yours.
Thank you for the kind words, Marty is a wonderful hamster, so I am hoping that he is happy being made comfortable. He has been sleeping since late afternoon yesterday in a corner opposite his bed in his cage. Do not know what the reason for that is but he can sleep anywhere he wants.
@ridingbet (36612)
@Marty1 i hope he is better now.
@ridingbet (36612)
@Marty1 his name in your username is a manifestation of your love for him.
@PatZAnthony (11728)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, we have had strange things happen with pets and in some cases we never learned the reason the pet was sick. Sometimes they just bounce back.
@PatZAnthony (11728)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Marty1 We know that hamsters and mice we have had over the years really did not live long. Just sad we have to say goodbye to them so soon.
@PatZAnthony Yes, Marty would only be living with me two years this coming Monday. I feel bad as I had a big bag full of presents(we called it his birthday though he was born before he came to my house) Now i will give them to my sister as she as a lot of wildlife in her yard and something will eat them. I am going to Animal Friend's shelter to look for a cat to adopt today
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, I loved my horse as much as most humans. How old is Marty?
Marty is going to be 2 years old soon on September 25! I think he is getting better as he asked for his newspaper while still dark so that is typical of Marty and he is drinking his too strong cup of coffee like he likes with his morning paper he is back to reading other things too. The kid is addicted to reading!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Marty1 I worry that he is suffering from late middle age. Has he become more politically conservative?
@TheHorse I think he is the most liberal man alive as he cares so much about the poor and people down on their luck. He writes a thousand dollar a check to charities a month as he has 24 TRILLION dollars in his checking account he got an account as I made him as he was hiding it in his bed. That boy is so silly! He is good in investments!
I hope Marty is doing okay. =( I have worried about my dog before, I have had her 8 years and she's one of my babies.
We are just going to keep him comfortable. I cut up a piece of sponge and wet it and put it near his head as he hasn't drunk since Saturday morning, Found out he is almost 70 years in human years. Hopefully, he makes another ten days so we can celebrate his second birthday/ What kind of dog do you have? I think of Marty as my son since i never married or had children.
Thank you that frown from you means a lot
I have cared about some animals in my day. I had a cocker spaniel that was born the same day I was. Had her until we were 13. Hope that Marty is okay. Maybe he is depressed and lonely. I hate to hear of animals alone without a pal or mate.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Hugs you.
@kepweng (5994)
cute pet the veterinarian have answer my friend
Yes, I have worried about all my pets and loved them as much as you love Marty. Have you called a vet? They may be able to help. I hope Marty gets well, soon.
@responsiveme (14383)
I think you should take him to a vet , even if he is not a speciality vet. Hopefully Marty will soon get over what is ailing him.
I would take him up to the vet's office. Yes I always worry when one of my dogs doesn't feel well.