Windows Update

Green Bay, Wisconsin
There are times when I don't mind Windows updating. Yesterday was not one of those days. I had just started working on Uncertain Future. Thankfully I didn't have a lot accomplished on it when I decided to take a shower. I was freezing in here, so decided it was time to warm up. I left the computer, without saving the manuscript, and came back to find the computer updating. When finished I went to bring back up Uncertain Future. I thought it odd that it didn't come up with the side bar that it had done an auto recovery. Instead It said Read Only across the top. Not really understanding what just happened I decided to start over from where I left off and found I could work on it. When I went to save it, I had more problems. The computer wouldn't allow me to save it under the same name unless I put it in a different location. So okay, I put it in Dropbox, where I thought it was anyway. It wasn't. It was on One Drive. So, I closed it out and what do I see? The manuscript with side bar and the auto recovery and another box that said another user had modified it. That other user was me. Now I had three copies of Uncertain Future. When I saved Uncertain Future to another location, I took off the auto recovery after the title and saved. That to my chagrin gave me four copies of Uncertain Future. I went looking at each to determine which one had the most recent additions to it and found that when I saved in one location it saved in all of them. I have four identical copies of Uncertain Future. Now, I only need one copy, so I will be deleting three of them today. Windows messed with my work. It won't be given that opportunity again. I will remember to save when I get up from the computer. Have you ever forgotten to save something and found you had a mess to contend with when you got back to what you were doing? Thanks for reading. Image courtesy of Pixabay
When I type anything of importance I type in word and have never lost anything. The only thing I dislike about the Windows updates it takes so long.
I agree Abby cause Windows is just a pain when it comes to updating. When it pops up that it's updating I step away cause I know it's going to be awhile before it's done.
@Marilynda1225 I have only had it update once in a year and it took over an hour
@AbbyGreenhill I didn't lose it, just what I didn't save, and now I have more than I need.
sorry about the problem as you worked it out.I do not have any problem so far
It's good not to have problems.
@just4him yes that is for sure
I do forget to save occasionally. I really dislike the Window's updates. There always seem to be some problem afterwards. One time I had to redownload the driver for the CD player. It was gone.
That's a bummer. I'm glad you knew to re download it.
@just4him ......I live chatted with a Microsoft tech.
@celticeagle That's even better.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
That does sound like a mess. I have had that happen and it is frustrating but my own fault. We can still learn, right?
Yes we can.
• Nairobi, Kenya
We can all solve this problem by changing our settings. You can turn off where you are asked to update windows automatically.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@mildredtabitha Mine usually don't take too long and it gives me a break so I can do other things.
@poehere (17342)
• French Polynesia
Knowing a lot about computers and all it has never happened to me. I normally have to go and clean this up for clients. I see it all the time. You aren't the only one this happens to. Don't feel too bad about this.
It is the first time I ended up with four copies of the manuscript. Three are now deleted. So I do wonder how that happened.
@poehere (17342)
• French Polynesia
@just4him It was because during the update the computer can reboot several times. Each time it can open up a program you had opened. That is how it can happen.
@poehere I have it taken care of. So I only have one copy now instead of four.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I rarely forget to save but it happens when the power is suddenly out. When power comes back, auto save is on and so I can recover the document but I will have to save it with a different name
That's what it asked me to do. I just located to another place under it's current name.
• Nairobi, Kenya
@just4him you did the right thing. I always rename the file
@mildredtabitha I've now deleted the three unwanted files.
@Asylum (46809)
• Manchester, England
I am surprised that it managed to update fully with an open document because this would usually block shut down.
I'm glad it didn't do that. I still had to get it all straightened out, but all's good now, and I don't leave an open document unsaved when I leave the computer.
@Asylum (46809)
• Manchester, England
@just4him That would be good practice.
@Asylum Yes it is.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't usually save things but I wonder why this happened.
Probably because I wasn't at my computer to tell it to wait until later, and it went ahead and did the update. I save everything, but not when I'm going to be right back to my computer within a short time. Now I'll save every time I get up if I'm working on a book.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him It's all a learning thing Valerie and now you know
@fishtiger58 Yes it is.
• Pakistan
Dear sir, what you need to do is to keep using the (control key + S) to keep on saving your work. There is also a tutorial I found long ago where it explains how one use an auto feature in MS word to keep on saving the work automatically.
I do save it and it does auto save as well, which is one of the four versions of the book I found. I just had not saved it before I went to take my shower.
@FayeHazel (10731)
Oh yes too often, but sorry to hear that happened, it's annoying
Yes it is.
Yes, I have had a few computer catastrophes.
It's a live and learn technological era we live in.
@1hopefulman (19556)
That was a mess but glad it worked out in the end. Yes, I have also forgotten to save and lost material and I had to do it again. That is always a pain.
Yes it is.
Shame on Windows for messing with your work!!! Windows does more harm than good, for me any way.
Yes it did. Windows should know better. Oh well, I did get a better copy the second time around. But I have the hassle of getting it down to just one copy.
Windows updates constantly (that's a bit of an exaggeration) and it frustrates me because it boots me out of whatever I'm doing. I feel bad that you wound up with a mess when you came back to your computer.