I Need a Maid

The one thing I always dream about but have never had was a maid. Yesterday a brochure came in the mail for a cleaning service and I looked at what they do and envisioned them coming in and doing all the things I hate to do. I'm so tempted to call and get a quote but I know it's not really something I can afford especially when I'm capable of doing it all myself. The older I get the slower I am so it takes me a long time to get this big old house vacuumed and dusted. I usually tackle one room a day so that by the end of the week the whole house is done and it's time to start over. Daily I do the bathrooms and laundry and of course the kitchen as I hate when things pile up on the sink or the counter tops. Since it's only my daughter and myself living here the house is never really dirty but it tends to get a little messy. We're opposites when it comes to clutter and she leaves mail, magazines etc piling up and I like no clutter. Other than that we make good roommates. We divide the chores...she shops and does 99% of the grocery shopping. It's gotten too hard for me to do a big weeks shopping since my knees aren't happy walking around a huge store and pushing a heavy cart. I like to do the small trips where I can go in and out in a decent amount of time. Anyway, back to my maid wishes. My whole life, even when I was young and rising my children, I wanted someone to come in and clean my house. For now, it's still wishful thinking but I'm keeping that brochure close by in case I change my mind.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Wouldn´t that be so nice Marilyn. I have imagined that at times especially when it comes to bathroom and kitchen..it is not as easy as it used to be I admit, even in this small place here. Well, maybe one day you will treat yourself to a home cleaning. I used to clean houses for a living and now I do not know how I did those huge houses.
it's crazy to think back and remember how much energy and stamina we had isn't it. I used to be able to clean my house from top to bottom when my kids were young and still have energy left for other things. Now I'm tired just thinking about all that needs to be done
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Marilynda1225 Yes the days gone by Marilyn..oh dear
I used to clean houses too.
I hope one day you can afford a maid and she does a good job. I have a small apartment, but, we get a lot of dust and so I clean once a week and wash the floors and the clothes on that same day. I hate cleaning but, I do it because it has to be done. I was a maid in a hotel once and really did not like it.
Being a maid in a hotel must have been a very hard job. I bet you have lots of stories you could tell
@Marilynda1225 Actually I don't remember and it was not much fun.
The thing our house needs most is dusting. Don't know where the heck it all comes from.
mine is constantly dusty and I dust it frequently. I figure a lot comes from my vents when the air conditioning is blowing and the rest sneaks in from outside somehow
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
For our house, it's usually the dirty filters in our furnace.
@Platespinner (18096)
I'm the only member of this household that doesn't have any assigned chores...but I do occasionally have to dust myself when I've been forgotten in a corner for a while.
Considering you only have to dust yourself Emmett I'd say you have it pretty good Hope you don't roll under a piece of furniture and get lost and/or forgotten
@Marilynda1225 That's a scary thought!!
@hostessman (6930)
• Tucson, Arizona
we have a maid come in once every 2 week to do the heavy cleaning and we take care of the easy things daily
That sounds like a good solution and I'd probably be happy with even just once a month. It's the heavy cleaning that is getting too much for me
@CinnamonGrl (5636)
• Paradise, California
I would like to have someone come in to clean for us as well. It's hard to do for me, especially vacuuming, due to pain problems and my mom gets exhausted too easily at her age (97 tomorrow.) But my mom doesn't want someone we don't know. So I am kind of stuck. I wouldn't be able to afford it all the time, but once in awhile it would really be helpful.
Congratulations and best wishes to your mom for a very Happy Birthday tomorrow It's getting harder and harder for me to do the heavier cleaning and since I'm retired I wouldn't be leaving someone here alone. I'll have to give some thought to having someone come in once in awhile
Yes, keep that brochure, just in case. We downsized to a ranch house, much smaller that the big house, and it is so much easier to take care of. However, the gardening part is getting to be too much for me. I am ready for someone to rip out every perennial from the 8 gardens here, but that would cost a lot of money. You and I need to win a contest that offers thousands of dollars!!!
Winning money sounds like a perfect solution doesn't it I've only been living in my house for 7 years and it's two floors, 3 bedrooms and 2 & 1/2 baths. I've been talking about selling and moving into a ranch but my kids think I'm crazy and should just get those ride-on chairs so I can go up and down more easily. Having everything on one floor is more appealing to me but I hate the thought of packing, moving and making new friends and neighbors.
@Marilynda1225 I do not want to move either. You and I just may have to hire people eventually to do the work we no longer can do. I will need a gardener to mow and to cut down all perennials in the fall if my husband and I no longer can do the work. Yep, a contest is what we need to win!!
@Corbin5 seems as if our lives are fairly similar
@1creekgirl (8381)
I can relate. Even when I worked full time, raising two kids and a husband (!), I never seriously considered a maid. I would love to have someone come in to keep the bathrooms clean. Since I'm retired, I really have no excuse, but I really am not crazy about housework. I do it, but it's not number one on my list of things I love.
I don't know anyone who actually LOVES housework but some things I don't mind doing but I hate dusting and it would be nice to have someone come in and do my windows
@Marilynda1225 I don't mind washing dishes (a lot of times I'd much rather wash them by hand than use the dishwasher.) And I don't mind laundry, dusting, sweeping and moping, but I hate to clean bathrooms. I'm not so awfully fond of washing windows either.
@1creekgirl the bathrooms don't bother me so much but it's so hard for me to bend and get behind the dang toilets. I also have a very big soaking tub in my bathroom which is hard to clean too.
@FayeHazel (10878)
I'd drop the hint to your kids, it may make a nice present to you sometime :-)
Good idea
@FayeHazel (10878)
@Marilynda1225 Sometimes I'm brilliant :-)
I am capable of cleaning, but have lost the desire! LOL! I think in winter I'll do better at it since i won't have the pool...but we are considering hiring someone to do a major spring cleaning....the cleaning services around here seem to be a dime a dozen.
If I had a pool only the bare necessities would get done as I'd be looking like a prune with all the time I'd spend in the water. I'm really thinking of calling these people to see what they would charge for a fall cleaning. It would be nice to have them do the windows too.
@Marilynda1225 Call, get an estimate, no harm in asking. It might be worthwhile.
Same here.maid,gardner,etc.
Would be nice wouldn't it
@Marilynda1225 It sure would.
When I was working many of the higher banded staff had maids. I was surprised at how many. It was very common. I would love to have someone do the cleaning for me as some days I struggle depending on how bad my health is.
Housework is hard especially if you have health issues.
@Marilynda1225 My mum used to help me when I worked full time.
I wish I had a maid. Now that I have 6 hours a day to myself, I had wanted to get things super clean. But I have been saying I can do that tomorrow way too much.
I always have big plans for what I want to get done each day but my progress is so slow that when that brochure came in the mail I thought how nice it would be to have someone come in and get it all done
@LeaPea2417 (14690)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I always have wished I could afford a maid too.
• Denmark
You could have a helper *once a month* for the more tiring chores.
that's a great idea and one i'm definitely considering
• Denmark
@Marilynda1225 You're welcome. My ideas are usually good - if I may say so. :-)
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I've always done my own work and never wanted a maid. My better half says I would clean before I'd let a maid in the house.
that's pretty funny but I can understand how you feel.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Marilynda1225 I know I'm weird. Most women would love to have a maid.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
Now that is a wish I would love to have. I can do my own cleaning too but oh what a joy not to have to.
I envision myself sitting with my feet up, a good book and enjoying someone else doing all the work
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@Marilynda1225 Nice dream
Wouldnt that be nice!! Maybe your daughter could help out with tidying up here and there?
My daughter does help quite a lot but she works and has a two hour commute each way. So when she gets home she's pretty tired and since I'm home all day long I feel bad not doing what needs to be done (the stuff I can do that is)
I wish for one too, but like you I would not be able to afford it, plus I am weird about people going through my stuff. Tony is a down right ....messy man. I do not like clutter but I do tend to allow paper work to pile up for a week. But I can still dream of someone cleaning the kitchen and dusting.
There is a part of me that hesitates having someone come in as I like things done a certain way and I know if they are doing it differently I will get anxious. Plus them being in the house is another consideration. Good thing my funds are pretty much my deciding factor that for now this isn't a possibility
That would be nice. But we could not afford that either. My husband helps me clean half of the house and I do the other half. He does a good job to.
It's nice that you two work together to do the housework. Teamwork