Guess I'll use the back door today...

He...or she...or it...can have the front door. I know it isn't poisonous...heck, years ago when I lived in the country I had dozens of these and used to feed 'em grasshoppers and stuff. But that was before I got on the bad side of a Brown Recluse...now I just don't 'do' spiders. Unfortunately, Scar goes in and out the front door. This could be a looooooooooooooooooooooooong day.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article is about the North American species of garden spider. For the European species, see European garden spider. For the Italian short documentary, see The Garden Spider. Yellow gard
Oh dear you got a brown recluse bite? Poor you. Yes I would not be cottoning to that fellow or gal there on the door no thanks
Yes, I got bit on the back of my left hand years ago...I had an old jacket hanging in the garage that I grabbed one day to use in the oilfield and it was in the sleeve of it. My hand and fingers were so swollen I was afraid the skin was going to split open.
@JolietJake Did you ever get any treatment for it? I have known others who have been bitten and have terrible scars.
@TiarasOceanView Yes, I did, but I still have a quarter-sized scar on the back of my hand from it
He's gorgeous
Yeah, but he needs to find somewhere else to 'hang out'
@sabtraversa (13329)
@NJChicaa I think he needs a loving family, you should adopt him.
@sabtraversa I totally would! Spiders don't bother me at all.
Scar will not be happy if not allowed to go out that front door!!! I think it is a non-poisonous corn spider, but I would still steer clear of it.
He can go in and out it, but I won't
@JolietJake ..Oh my..so big
@JolietJake It is a huge one!!!!!!!
@singhisback (2147)
• Jalandhar, India
Haha. At least scar is having good time
He hasn't noticed it yet
@Platespinner (17046)
The Huis Vrouw has been toying with the idea of seeing if she can hang me in a garden-spider web...I suspect it's because she has walked into a few too many of them in the yard lately and wants to make someone else suffer.
Uhhhhh, what a big spidy ya got there ........ tell Scar to use the back door. I don't mind spidys if they stay outside in the dark somewhere other than close to my home. This is wayyyy too close. Yeah, we get those recluses here too, they love hangin out in the dried weeds so in late December when the weeds dry up I have to be covered with netting to prevent the varmints from gettin to me. How did you find out it was a recluse that gotya?
Because no other spider in these parts has venom that acts like a recluse does.
I guess I'll have to look up recluse @JolietJake I wasn't aware a bite from one could cause swelling.
@rebelann Venom from a recluse kills the surrounding tissue, it is nasty
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
To be honest I think you are quite sensible avoiding any kind of spider which might be dangerous. I was watching a spider the other day and it occurred to me it was Far bigger than any spider I'd ever seen before and then what was it? Thank you can get something called a spider catcher which you could maybe use but then it doesn't say that there are more of the critters around. Freya is on strike where spiders are concerned and I guess for her Scar is too.
I just looked out the door and thought it was gone, but then I saw it had just moved up higher. First time I had seen one of these in years.
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
@JolietJake Don't think I'd like to be living where you are. I can cope with the spiders in this house because I know that they're just non-poisonous things although they seem to be getting bigger however what gets min is any kind of wasp or bee.
@owlwings (39609)
• Cambridge, England
What a fine specimen - it's a 'she', by the way! Our native garden spiders are also rather pretty and build large circular webs but they are brown with a large cross in white spots on their backs.
Well I sure hope that spider just goes away and that Scar might scare it away.
Spiders wig me out. Even just looking at the photo.
I don't blame you! I would not be going out that door either. I'm glad your okay from that brown recluse-those are evil creatures!
@kobesbuddy (52775)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Wow, I hate to say, this spider actually has beautiful markings! On top of that, they eat flies and pesky flying insects:( I still wouldn't want it hanging around, by the front door!
It's a garden spider, it needs to go hang out in someone's garden
@kobesbuddy ..Same with me
@kobesbuddy (52775)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake Maybe somebody can swipe his web into a box, then dump it out into the side-yard somewhere. I do that at times, when they try to live on our front porch overhang.
a brown reclusde s pider bit my chin its poson ate some fleash and as Om diabetic it took six weeks of antbiotics amd atbiotioc cream to heal the deep di mple it made Now I u killl spiders that lookl like the brown reclusse.
That's scary!!
That picture took me back many years to my childhood days. I remember seeing those on their webs that they'd spin on the tomato plants in my Dad's tomato field. Being the only girl in the family, I was spared from any outdoor farm work, but sometimes I was asked to walk over to the field and pick a little basket of tomatoes for the house, and I remember running home scared after seeing one of these guys.
@sabtraversa (13329)
What an interesting piece of nature you have over there. So scar thinks it's cute and won't hunt it? Maybe you should become friends and get rid of your phobia. Woah, the Brown Recluse looks scary, and the bites it leaves even scarier.
@SonjaRae (4804)
Now that picture gave me the creeps!
It disappeared overnight...I just hope it didn't sneak inside
@SonjaRae (4804)
@JolietJake and there's the difference.. I would have had to kill it so I didn't have that worry!
@SonjaRae Years ago I had one on these build an orb in an oil field truck I drove...this was before my episode with the recluse, and I left him be there, he hung out for a couple days in the passenger side and then left
• Nairobi, Kenya
I am afraid of spiders. I have never tried to find out which are poisonus
I'm normally okay with them as long as they stay outside
• Nairobi, Kenya
@JolietJake I have seen people eating raw spiders in movies
@Raelove (17356)
• Saco, Maine
I don't "do spiders" either. I saw hundreds of these garden spiders as a kid playing in the overgrown field behind our house. I'd be fine out there till I'd almost bump into one of their vast webs that they like to weave across footpaths. That always did it for me. And here's something I couldn't make up if I tried: I remember how our landlord's son would roast these alive on the screen that covered the trash burning barrel his father kept out back. I shudder to think of it even now. Spiders are best when I can't see them and they are not in MY space!
It's not at the door this morning, but it may have chosen somewhere to stay warm last night, I'm waiting to see if it reappears...might relocate it this time.
@Raelove (17356)
• Saco, Maine
@JolietJake Smooth move. I remember once, during one of my Krazy Kid moments eons ago trapping a bunch of them in a big jar. I was so grossed out watching them clambering all over each other than I took the lid off the jar and heaved it over the fence. Good luck with your arachnid "neighbor."
Squish......Splat......bye bye
It is outside...that has been the only thing saving it so far
@JolietJake Inside outside - squish is my answer.
I have never seen that kind of spider in here. Not in my house.