We Had to Unplug That Thing!

When I was a reading teacher for students who struggled with reading, I turned my classroom into what looked similar to a living room in a home. My classroom had rugs on the floors, huge pillows to lean against while sitting on the rug with a good book in hand, table lamps, bookcases filled with books, flowers in vases, framed pictures on the walls, and comfortable chairs for those who preferred to sit in chairs while reading a self-selected book. My students knew I loved animals. One of my students gave me a tabletop water fountain with little wildlife animals perched here and there on that fountain. He was a darling boy who said, "I got this for you Mrs. Mitchell because I know how much you love animals." The wildlife-themed water fountain played the song "All Things Bright and Beautiful" when the silver key was wound. We did not listen to the music when the water fountain was plugged into the outlet, but we all loved the sound of the trickling water cascading down the fountain. We had to unplug the fountain due to the fact that the sound of the trickling water led to far too many trips to the bathroom. I was affected by the trickling water too, but as the teacher, I had to hold it! Too many bathroom breaks interrupted our reading, and anything that interrupted our reading time had to eliminated as soon as possible. We unplugged the fountain and came to the conclusion that the fountain needed to remain unplugged if we were to ever get any reading done. The tabletop wildlife fountain was silenced, but it was adorable to look at every now and then.
LOL, that would do it. I love that you made it a comfortable setting to read.
I had many interlopers who would sneak in to read and I had to send them back to the class from which they escaped. Everyone loves to read in a homey atmosphere, I suppose.
I was not expecting what happened! Aren't teachers allowed to go to the bathroom too? That must have been horrible! You sound like a super teacher! I bet those students turned into voracious readers because of you!
Well, no teacher can leave a class of kids unless another teacher steps in to take over. I have really good holding power. Thank you for your kind words, my friend.
@Corbin5 I wondered why the teachers in my school never went to the bathroom, but work see them running to the teacher's bathroom at lunch! i guess that is one of the things ones need to do to be a teacher!
@Marty1 A strong bladder is necessary, for sure.
So you started this trend of comfy classrooms I wish classrooms had more space for this
It was very comfy. I would have some interlopers sneak in to read, and I had to send them back to class. Being in a homey place is a nice place to read a good book for most of us.
Do you still have it?
No, I left all I had in that room behind for the next teacher when I retired. The kids could still enjoy the same room, but have a different teacher.
@Corbin5 ooohhh. I wouldve taken it. As it was a gift. But that was nice of you.
@Courtlynn Oh yes, a teacher has to take and use those gifts. I always wrote thank you notes for any gift given to me.
@Nawsheen (22857)
• Mauritius
This class of yours must have been so fun. Those students were lucky to have you as their teacher.
I loved teaching reading. I taught 1st, 4th, and 5th grades and for a short time I was a special education teacher. The job as a reading teacher was a dream come true.
you have a point there.Though they are beautiful too look at .But it can be annoying.
Yes, we unplugged it and just enjoyed looking at it.
@Corbin5 just as good.Like a sculpture
@Platespinner (18072)
Schoolwork around here gets done on the couch, on the floor or on the dining room table. The desks are used for artwork and sewing.
I hope you have your own spot to do your schoolwork, Emmet!!
@Corbin5 I have a little zipper pouch that keeps me warm and cozy and out of trouble.
I wish you were my nephews teacher.
Thank you for those kind words, my friend.
@Corbin5 You're welcome my friend :)
@responsiveme (14366)
That does sound like a wonderful object.But what is more wonderful is how you got that room comfy for the kids to read. I think you have made a difference to lots of children
I had quite a few kids not in my class who would sneak in to read, but had to send them back to the class where they belonged.
@Fishmomma (11588)
I love the sound of running water like fountains. Its relaxing for me and great to sit near while reducing stress.
We really did like the sound, but those trips to the bathroom due to the trickling water were too numerous.
• Riga, Latvia
I like the soothing sounds of running water.
Me too. It was such a darling fountain with little animals on it.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
The sound of the water trickling would have sent me to the bathroom too, great story.
Thank you. Thanks to that fountain I have a strong bladder.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 I used to but these days not so much, old age I guess.
Just thinking of that sound has sent me to the powder room.
Yes, even thinking about trickling water will do it. Off to the bathroom, I am!!!
@alberello75 (12968)
• Genova, Italy
Yes, I think it's fascinating to watch and listen to the "sound" of the water. However, until at some point ...
Yes, we really had to unplug that fountain. It was a relaxing sound, but too many trips to the bathroom.
@alberello75 (12968)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 However also I, when I drank, I had several trips to the bathroom! This also without fountain
That would be cute to look at and enjoy.
It really was adorable. I left everything in that room for the new teacher when I retired. It is a nice spot for those who like to read.
@FayeHazel (10731)
I like the sound of running water. A great idea to make a cozy reading room
Yes, it was the place those who were not my students would come if they got a pass from their teacher. It was a comfy place to read a spell.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I can only imagine how your class looks like. Reading on rags while laying on pillows will surely feel like home and that must be fun :) I have never seen a tabletop fountain before
It was a lovely room. I just brought everything from home or bought items for a few dollars at resale shops.
How beautiful to be allowed to arrange your classroom as you liked. I would have loved a "non formal" classroom. I have one of those small fountains, it makes me sleepy.
Yes, I just brought items from home and purchased items at hardly any cost at resale shops here. It was a wonderful job.
@Corbin5 They should let do this even in my country, it is much more pleasant to study in a nice place.
@LadyDuck I agree. I did write an article for the no-longer site, Full of Knowledge, stating that every school should have a reading room like the one I created. I did have students from other classes sneak in to read, but had to send them back to their classroom if they did not have a pass from their teacher.
@poehere (17339)
• French Polynesia
Oh how sad. But if you are distracted, it is hard to accomplish what needs to be done in a classroom. When I am here trying to write in English and hear our TV going off in French it dries me crazy. I know what you mean to get rid of the distractions so all goes well.
Yes, we could hear the clock tick when everyone was enjoying their novels. No way would I want that interrupted.
@poehere (17339)
• French Polynesia
@Corbin5 For sure I would want to make sure when the day ended it was time to go home.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh what a blinking shame you had to unplug it Deborah I would have loved to be in your homey cozy classroom.
It really did soothe us, except our bladders.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 I can relate to that entirely