My Breast Bag, a.k.a Money Pouch

money pouch
Denmark
Yonks ago in Oostende in Belgium when checking in for the ferry to Dover, I pulled my breast bag (as the Germans say) from under my shirt out through the collar (I do that unashamedly in public) to get at my identity card when suddenly an American woman pointed at me crying to her husband, “Look, she’s got a pouch!” Thanks to her I now know the English term. My current pouch is the lightest, simplest and cheapest I’ve ever seen. It looks similar to the one in the piccie at the top of the site. It’s made of beige nylon, has an adjustable string, measures 17x14 cm, has only one main pocket and a smaller one in front of it and is closed with a strip of velcro. I’m not advertising a special brand here. Just write ‘money pouch’ into the amazon search box and you’ll see a vast range of specimens. The prices vary according to the material. You can get expensive pouches made of silk or leather. I wouldn’t buy these, though. An expensive pouch doesn’t mean more safety. If a pickpocket cuts the string from behind and pulls the whole thingy out of your collar, you’ll lose the expensive pouch together with your money and documents! I usually put my money in the front pocket and my identity card and credit card(s) in the back one. The pouch doesn’t disturb me at all. When we were on hols the last time I wore it every day for ten days. I’ve seen (mainly young) people in summer wearing only an undershirt and their pouch openly *over* it. Not very wise! Yet, I think walking around like this in cities and away from the beach is ugly if not repulsive. I don’t have too much pity with these people if they’re robbed. It serves them right. So under the undershirt with the pouch?! Not much better if the neck is bare and the string shows. I always wear blouses or shirts with collars so that the string is hidden for the casual observer. It isn’t hidden for the professional pickpocket, of course! If I know that I’ll be in crowded places where pickpockets abound, I tie the string round the strap of my bra and stuff the pouch under my belt into my knickers. Braless people can wear the pouch shoulder-holster-style to avoid showing the string. No pickpocket has ever touched my pouch which unfortunately does not mean that I haven’t had any contact with members of this trade. I have, even three times in my many years of travelling! I’m not overly careless. But a master pickpocket can get at anything! Using a pouch wisely means only to make it a bit more difficult for the long-fingers to get at your valuables. Pickpockets must work quickly. If they can’t get at your money at once, they’ll try the next person. --- If you want to see more specimens, check here: (Don't mind the German text)
Klicke hier, wenn du nach einigen Sekunden nicht automatisch weitergeleitet wirst. MehrNoch mehr von GoogleAnmelden Google Instant ist derzeit nicht verfügbar. Drücke die Eingabetaste, um die Suche zu starten. Weitere InformationenGoogle Instant ist aufgru
This made me smile. We tote purses here in the USA on our shoulders, but their are some that put their money in their bra`s. I usually carry cash in the front pocket of my jeans or shorts and the car keys in the other pocket as for the purse I have ,my ID and debit cards there. If a purse snatcher took mine I would chase him down, tackle and beat the sh-it out of him, I am not your typical 50 year old. lady.
• Denmark
You wouldn't if they worked in a group of three.
• Riga, Latvia
That is a smart and clever way to make sure you don't get robbed. I live in the suburbs and we have a quiet peaceful area not like the crowded city side. Still when I go shopping I don't take a handbag I have a small pouch like bag that goes over my shoulder and stays in front of me. That is where I have my wallet. It gives me peace of mind anyway.
• Denmark
Pickpockets often work in groups of two or three. Groups of three use this method: No 1 bumps into you, apologises and diverts your attention. No 2 takes your wallet, handbag, purse or whatever and gives it at once to No 3 who walks away at a leisurely pace. Never assume that you're smarter than these people They're masters of their trade. They have to be, they live off it.
@sabtraversa (9816)
It must be very pleasing to have a woman shout the name of an object that way. I've never seen a money pouch before.
@MALUSE Aww, some are very cute! Probably for children.
• Denmark
@sabtraversa In Germany, pouches are not only for children. Young people wear them, too, and also some oldies like me. I've added another link. Check the vast variety, you'll find something there for your taste I'm sure.
@MALUSE Well, I liked the pouches for children already.
@Platespinner (18090)
They don't make pouches small enough for me, but one of the female Big People in this household has one she used on a trip to the Dominican Republic a few years ago.
@MALUSE Somehow I doubt there is one small enough for a less-than-five-cm tall Lego dude .
• Denmark
@Platespinner Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Pity that you have to go without one! :-)
@MALUSE Since I have neither money nor identity papers it shouldn't be too much of a hardship. I suspect when I do travel overseas I will have to sneak through customs like I did when I went to Canada last month.
I have one too, a black one. It really holds all I need and I can wear it so it is out of sight.
• Denmark
It's a good invention, isn't it?
@MALUSE It is. I love mine. A purse is jus too easy for someone to grab.
I just carry a purse
• Denmark
If you've still got it, you're lucky. As I've said: you have no chance against a master pickpocket.
Hmmm, but where can I store my phone, my tablet and my camera?? These are the things I wouldn't want a pickpocket getting hold of. I'm not sure my tablet or camera will fit in my bra or down my knickers. :)
@garymarsh6 (12100)
It is very wise to carry and hide your belongings this way. I have witnessed many people being pickpocketted and usually shout like hell. They soon scarper. Worst place was in the Canaries. Some people though are an invitation to pickpockets leaving their purses openly on display in their bags! It makes me really cross with people who do that! NEVER TRUST anyone when you are in a strange city especially on packed buses or trains!
• Denmark
My husband and I have been on Tenerife several times but had never anything stolen. The world capital of pickpocketing is Barcelona.
@garymarsh6 (12100)
@MALUSE That does not surprise me. Rome is just as bad especially on bus 64. Don't be fooled by smartly dressed people as often their ploy is that you think they are ok and respectable!
• Denmark
@garymarsh6 Rome, yes, of course. A gypsy woman stole my wallet out of my rucksack which I had put between my feet so that I could hold tight to the posts. The Roman bus drivers drive like madmen. The thief had a bundle in her arms which looked as if a baby was inside. There was no baby, though. She had it only to slip the stolen things in.
That is so smart of you indeed, to have it discreetly hidden under your blouse. When I go walking in a crowded place, O put my money in the secret pocket of my pants and my cell phone on the big front pocket too. My other essentials are in my sling bag in front of my tummy, holding it close to my body as always. We have to secure our money and valuables when in a crowded place.
• Denmark
The problem is that thieves often work in twos or threes. When you have your valuables in a sling bag in front of your body, one thief can divert your attention, No 2 can slide his hand into your bag - and NO, you would NOT notice it - and the third runs away with your wallet or whatever.
@MALUSE Yes, that is possible indeed. I hope i will never experience that. I avoid places where people are so close to each other when walking in the street.
@m_audrey6788 (10604)
If it works for you comfortably then, It`s good. I usually buy a good jacket with pockets where I can put my ID and some cards because I`m not comfortable bringing bags with me when I go for a walk
• Denmark
Do you wear a jacket in hot summer weather?
@MALUSE ..Nope but I wear a belt bag
Interesting information. I don't know anyone who has been targets by a pickpocket. I am still carrying a purse over my shoulder.
• Denmark
As I've said, this only means that you're lucky. Should you ever encounter a master pickpocket, you'd have no chance. For example, it can happen in crowded buses that purses are slit open from below with a razor blade. You wouldn't notice anything. Believe me.
That is very wise to wear it under your shirt
@Macarrosel (7641)
I never have that pouch but I love to own one.
I have a very similar one and I bought one for my Mother. If she only listened and used it, I would be happy.
@acelawrites (10624)
Such a nice idea for travelers to avoid pickpockets!
• Nairobi, Kenya
You are right. An expensive poach doesn't mean more safety. I have a blue one and is made of material like that of jeans but is very thick