CLUTTER PROJECT: Tending to things that need attention

@CoralLevang (34497)
When dealing with clutter, it's not always about things. Sometimes, it's about our thoughts and what we believe will happen. I have already shared with you that I have had struggles with clutter, what some people call hoarding. On a scale of 1 to 7, I see myself as a three or a four, where others may see me as a one. Some might refer to me as messy, where others may call me a pig. I am no longer going to accept what others decide to label me, especially in a pejorative fashion. I am working through my issues, and my stuff. Most of the people who are critical, shaming, and have strong opinions about who I might be or who others might be, have their own issues. Maybe it doesn't come out in the same behaviors, but they are there, and manifest themselves in ways that are not often recognized. Something else that I am coming to realize, is that clutter is not always about things. Sometimes, it's about the building up of things that need to be done. For whatever reason, we put off doing them. (I could certainly write a whole lot on this subject but right now I just want to get this posted.) As many of you know, I found my expired passport. I didn't renew it back 2 years ago, because I believed I was going to be dead by now. What a waste of time worrying about things like that! I could have been traveling by now if I had not cluttered my mind with these thoughts. (Thanks to @marguicha she has reminded me as to how much I love to be able to travel, and experience life.) Yesterday, I used that passport and got my enhanced drivers license, so I can travel to Canada without worrying about my passport. I also did the necessary things for me to be able to renew my passport. Today, I just mailed it off. So these are the things that Cluttered my thoughts. Now, I can let this go, and work on something else that needs done, without concern for wondering where an expired passport is or how long is it going to take for certain things to be able to happen. Sometimes it is in the small things that we do that we can get some of the best progress. This took a little bit of time, but it wasn't difficult. What are some of the things that you could do to free you up a little bit so that your brain does not have to think of them anymore? What are some of the easy fixes that you could do, that will make you feel good about something and that you can look forward to? Wishing you well on your journey...
Wellllll, I'm really glad your brain has been uncluttered, mine just isn't in the mood to be cluttered so I just stick with bein happy that the furmily and I wake up alive. Now as far as messy is concerned on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is the worst I have to admit I am at least a 7 or even an 8, I save paper, plastic and glass jars to recycle and that gets really messy if I don't make a cycle run more than once a month. Damn this stupid community that only has trash pickup.
@CoralLevang (34497)
I'm actually looking at the hoarding scale from the hoarders situation. If I were to say on a scale of 1 to 10 as far as being a messy person, I rank right up there with you. But I see a distinction between the two
Soooo, whats the distinction @CoralLevang ?
@CoralLevang (34497)
@rebelann I think that when the messiness gets to a point of health issues that can be caused, or some of the extremes I have seen on the show The Hoarders, we are dealing with some other things that cross another line. It's probably all in the same spectrum, but it's that point of no return for me.
@Bluedoll (15589)
I'll call you an analytical alignment coordinator. On the right road I think. Nice of you to leave tracks as I might follow you.
@CoralLevang (34497)
Whoohoo! A new title! I like it! tags my sister @sonjarae who'da thunk?
@Bluedoll (15589)
@CoralLevang I specially like the part about mind clutter in your article. Years ago I paid special attention to a woman that wrote a book and did seminars on being organized. Of course she talked about organizing cupboards and drawers but she also mentioned loosing her keys to the car in her house and then missing appointments because of it. It prompted her to write the book.
@CoralLevang (34497)
@Bluedoll you have given me some ideas. Thank you.
I think a person needs to be able to tell themselves that it is okay. That they can do what they can do and not worry about the rest. Just do the best they can do. Set small attainable goals for themselves too.
@CoralLevang (34497)
That is all well and good and I will agree, but there are some of us who see the overwhelming part because that's all we were told. It's what I'm struggling with now. Look at all you've done yeah but look at what you haven't done now I recognize that is family teaching. Hard One to get away from
@CoralLevang .....Yes, it is. After all the years of programing.
@CoralLevang (34497)
@celticeagle as I see it I only lived with it for 18 years, from then on, it was my choice to either accept it or not. The upside is I've been doing my best to deep program for a lot more years than I was programmed. But I made that choice
I have been doing a lot of decluttering myslef lately. Something that has been long overdue. All I can think about it everything that needs to be done. Each thing that I get done makes me feel so much better. I can sit back and relax in the evening knowing that I accomplished what I set out to do each day.
@CoralLevang (34497)
There is so much that is still visually cluttered and overwhelming. It's still difficult for me to sit back and think I've accomplished things. But it's coming.
@CoralLevang it takes time. I just sit and think of all the things I still need to do.
@CoralLevang (34497)
@Happy2BeMe I know. And that's the kind of thing that really stifles me. It stops me in my tracks. I fight that all the time
I´m so proud that you think that I have any thing with your decluttering. So, as soon as I return to Santiago, I promise to go into my closets and put away to give all the clothes that I should have given away ages ago.
@CoralLevang (34497)
It's not just about the Clutter as much as it's getting off my Duff and doing what I need to do! Did you notice the photograph? That's why I tagged you!
@CoralLevang I did (the photograph). And I know that it is more difficult to decide what to throw away and to begin to do it than to actually do it. The difficult part is not doing something, at least to me, but it is the emotional part.
@CoralLevang (34497)
@marguicha very true. I'm still trying to figure out what it all represents to me. I'm starting to get more clues, and my sister is pointing some things out that might be part of that too.
I'm glad you found it and got it taken care of. Any travel plans besifes Canada? Not much for me.. just folding and putting away laundry. Nothing else really needs to be done. Although, we have a tote full of pictures.. but my mom doesn't want to get rid of them. Yet.
@CoralLevang (34497)
Being able to start moving forward as a good thing for me. And I have no definitive plans to go to Canada or anywhere else yet, but just the fact of having all of the documents that are necessary so that I am able to do it should I get a bug up my butt to go do it!
@CoralLevang (34497)
@RasmaSandra I just wanted to let you know that I had to delete one of my posts, and it was the one that you commented on. Somehow, there was a double post.
@CoralLevang ah gotcha
Remember that slow and steady wins the race you'll get there.
@CoralLevang (34497)
That's certainly what is happening! Thanks for the encouragement.
@CoralLevang your welcome.
@SonjaRae (5699)
Upward and onward my sister! I love you
@CoralLevang (34497)
Thanks, hon. I you, too!
This discussion posted twice My brain is working just perfectly for me.
@CoralLevang (34497)
Thank you. I'll go check it out and take care of it.
My mind frees up whenever I choose to decide, plan and act. Mulling over what to do for too long causes anxiety, so deciding, planning, and acting, and not blaming myself it the outcome is not right, is the key for me to have a brain that is free to move on.
@CoralLevang (34497)
It's so interesting to me that we all deal with things differently. Takes me awhile to get somewhere and I have to mull it over, but when I start I go on a roll.
@poehere (15981)
• French Polynesia
Now that is a million dollar question. I personally don't care what others think of me. My sister in law thinks she is perfect. She is always critical of others and how they do things. Personally, I don't live with her and second I don't care. Over the years I have developed a I don't care attitude to deal with people like this. Like everyone we all have plenty that we can do. It all depends on how our day was and what we did that day. At times I spend most of my day out in the sun at the organic garden and when I get home I just want some peace and quiet. However, this isn't always possible with the little dogs in my life. so I do what I can and the rest will hold off until tomorrow. Plus, I have a BF that loves to get into cupboards after they are cleaned and organized and make a total mess of them. Therefore, I am tired of cleaning them up again just so he can mess them up. Now I just dig through them and hope I can find what he did with it. However, he is now away working on another island. Lucky for me there is only 2 that need cleaning. This is a quuck task and it is done now. I look at it like this. There are so many hours in a day that we can be productive. At least I don't spend them laying on my bed and watching TV. That s what the family here does. So when they want to complain to me I could care less. I would adopt this attitude. I would tell me this is my clutter and I am attached to my clutter so leave my clutter alone. You are not the one living here I am.