Too many cats

Bunbury, Australia
We are coming into the last week of our monster holiday in Ireland and France and are spending a few days with our son and his wife. They have just moved and are renting an old house on a dairy property near Kells in County Westmeath (I think it is Westmeath). They have the use of a field for their seven goats and one sheep which was one of the hurdles they faced when moving – finding somewhere for the animals. Immediately behind the house is a dairy and there are a number of farm cats which are mostly feral. One of the cats has just had seven kittens. My son has approached several rescue agencies about how to address the problem of continual litters of kittens from these cats and now he has started feeding them. He will do this at the same time each day and in a few weeks it is hoped that they will be able to trap the cats. They will be speyed (sterilised) and either returned to the farm or rehomed. And apparently this service will not cost my son anything. What a positive way of addressing the feral cat issue. Does your area have anything similar? The photo is of one of the half-grown cats. This one could easily be tamed.
The cat in the photo looks a lot like Willy. This is what they do here, they capture the feral cats, they sterilise the cats and then return them to the farms, or the areas, where they live. It's paid with our local taxes, the cats are not harmed, they are safe and we have almost zero new feral cats.
It sounds a great system. I was very impressed with the opportunities to limit the number of feral cats.
@JudyEv Even private owners here must comply and have their cats sterilized/neutered if they intend to let them go outside. This make sense, because a male cat can find feral females not yet sterilized and the feral population grows.
@LadyDuck Every cat that is sterilised means a few less possibly unwanted kittens.
@garymarsh6 (11898)
That is very wise of your son otherwise they will become over run with them Shame your holiday has come to an end but you have had a super time!
Their new rented farmhouse in right in the middle of the farmyard so the stray cats do impact on them - and their own two cats.
Great idea my friend, that's the right thing to do, get them all fixed and, pretty cat.
It sounds like the ideal solution to me too.
I would not know about that. I do know we have a few shelters.
It's good that there are shelters that look out for these cats.
It's a lovely cat. I don't know of any program like that here. It sounds like a very good program though.
I was very surprised to find out it was a free service. Sterilising cats is usually quite expensive.
@JudyEv It is here too.
@Platespinner (16822)
We have an adopted stray that is the victim of such a catch and release program. Sterilizing a male cat can completely change their personality making it difficult for them to fend for themselves. I understand the thought behind the program, but....
I'm sure that can be an issue with some. But I would think it is better than letting the seven kittens (for starters) grow up unsterilised.
@acelawrites (9949)
They should be spayed to control population.
I think so too but when they are not your cats you don't want to pay out to have them sterilised. And my son couldn't afford it anyway.
@FayeHazel (8536)
I was going to say - no such thing as too many cats, but, in all seriousness, yes. - Pet over population is a real issue. It is great your son is dealing with the strays in this manner
@FayeHazel (8536)
@JudyEv I think it's wonderful - no cost. Such things are expensive, even for 1 cat.
@FayeHazel I was really surprised. I was quite sure there would be a cost to the person reporting or submitting the cats.
They do that here also - they snip an ear so that in the future people know the cat is fixed. The costs are paid by donated money.
Yes, apparently the ear will be snipped in this case too.
@JudyEv I guess that is universal!
@AbbyGreenhill 'Ear. 'Ear.
@shshiju (8843)
• Cochin, India
It is a cute cat. Controlling the birth of kitten is good if your son protects all of them.
No system is ideal but it seems a really good method.
@shshiju (8843)
• Cochin, India
@JudyEv Yes it is. But there is no method here. So there are so many stray cats.
I am a cat lover. So I will be excited and happy whenever I see cats This cat has special eyes and looks so adorable
It's very pretty isn't it? If I wanted a cat I'd be very happy with this one.
@JudyEv I also like to have a cat like that
I love kitties. I would have to fed them. Probably end up adopting them all. Glad they will be sterilized as female cats can get pregnant from 4 months old I believe. That kitty in the photo is adorable. I have some ham I'd share with it.
Sterilising them all sounds a really good solution to me. Hopefully over time the number of feral cats will drop.
@prashu228 (18823)
That's a good way to sterilize the cat's. The picture is really good , cute cat
The rescue service wants photos of all the cats in case they are able to find homes for them.
@xFiacre (9864)
@judyev Yes. My wife takes in every stray (they seem to sniff us out) them I pay for their mustering, vaccinations etc. It works a treat for the cats and the vet. Not so much for me.
These ferals seem to be gravitating towards my son and his wife too. I'm just glad it won't cost them the earth to have them sterilised.
What a cuddly cat !Your son is kind to animals.How come the cat problem had been nobody's business before your son moved there.
I guess some farmers just don't worry about farm cats. They are too busy and just let Nature take care of things.
• Riga, Latvia
That is an adorable kitty. Yes, here in Riga we have an animal rescue service that picks up strays has them checked and fixed then given to some halfway homes that volunteer to watch them and then people see their photos on the net and can arrange to adopt. That is how we found Sid.
Photos of these cats will be put on the net too. That is one reason we took this photo.
@Nawsheen (22905)
• Mauritius
What a nice looking cat. Unfortunately we have lots of stray animals over here and the government just does not bother to sterilize them. It is so saddening to look at those poor animals
These are more or less okay at the moment although the tiny kittens have gummed up eyes. But there is a limit to how much food is available for them.
What a sweet cute cat there Glad to know that there are still good people around helping poor cats that needed so much love and attention
The cats would have a tough time if there wasn't someone to watch out for them. And now winter isn't too far away.
That is one pretty cat. Hope it gets adopted.
@kobesbuddy (7014)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We have an animal shelter, which does O.K. from what I've heard. But, the humane society is the very best, again from hearsay.
Our son rang three different places and seems to have found a good solution to his problem.
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv Oh, I'm so glad! Our neighbor lady had 10 cats and now, she only has 8
@kobesbuddy Eight cats sounds like about six too many.