Children's lack of table manners

By S.E
United Kingdom
I don't have kids myself, so I tend to stay out of matters concerning raising them, but yesterday, I went to a cafe and the 4/5 year old next to me emptied his chicken nuggets onto the table, then ate them off the table like a dog eating from a bowl, putting his head down and picking them up with his teeth and chewing on them. He made the noise of a cow whilst doing this. His mum thought it was funny, then went back to her smartphone. I thought if I'd have done that as a child, my mum would have been quick to tell me to use a knife and fork and put the nuggets back on the plate. Where are the table manners nowadays?
I think I would have moved to a different table and talked to the manager. It's no recommendation for the restaurant when customers are allowed to behave like pigs there.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
I am with you 1000% on that @MALUSE . I might have even made the sound, "Oink, Oink" directly at the child...but that's just me.
@nanette64 No, not at the child. The parents are in this as well. Better not start an argument but turn to the manager directly.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
@MALUSE I'll try to contain myself if I ever come across the same situation. Maybe.
Parents are responsible for teaching table manners to their children. We had to go through table etiquette when we were kids, and perish the thought if we forgot those manners.
I can remember saying grace before meals as well.
@Freelanzer (9496)
It irks me to see parents on their phones while their kids run wild. I would never have allowed that or thought it was funny. It is also not hygienic for kids to eat off a public restaurant table.
@HazySue (22546)
She won't think it's funny much longer. I don't understand a mother allowing her child to act so disgustingly. One can only wonder how he acts at home.
@rubyriaz007 (4258)
It is very important to teach children table manners ,and it should start from home,as we say home is the first school of a child . What a child practices at home only he will practice outside,and it is the duty of the parents to correct them. It is the responsibility of parents to teach children good manners ,especially table manners. What the child practices home only will practice outside,so it is the duty of the parents to correct them then and there. Parents should never neglect such behavior of children ,as they will only preach outside what they have learnt from home .
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
There are none @SerenityEngel . Parents have forgotten how to be 'parents'. Her damn Smartphone was more important than teaching her kid. You can imagine what else he does.
Exactly. got to wonder what kind of a young man he'll grow into.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
@SerenityEngel I can just imagine.
Oh now come on..that is disease city right there not to mention very uncivilized.
Exactly. At home we know that we have wiped down the tables etc, but in a cafe, how many people have eaten there that day? How many times a day are the tables cleaned?
@kprofgames (3104)
Oh, nothing ruins a good meal more than being seated next to someone who really needs a trough. This was a child so it's really on the parent, but it makes me sad that the mom spend more time on her phone then enjoying a meal out with her son. Kind of makes you wonder if his behavior wasn't really bad manners but just a cry for attention from his mom.
That is a very good point. Maybe he was after attention. Mum didn't stop playing with her phone the whole time.
@prashu228 (25589)
That's quite irritating ,if children or anyone lacks table manners
It was putting me off my food
@Shiva49 (13767)
Yes, some parents just can't be bothered about even the basics of raising children - siva
@1hopefulman (31606)
He's eating with his hands!
I would have gotten the same treatment from my parents, and probably be in trouble when we got home.
@ivansin (630)
All family education is different. You are very lucky to have a good family education and learned table manners. I think parents do well, children will do well by copying parents' manners.
The mother was using her smartphone. I wasn't allowed to be using phones or reading or doing anything at the table other than eating. No elbows on the table back in the day as well. I was raised strict.
@ivansin (630)
@SerenityEngel I was also not allowed to do that. I think the mother should stop playing phone and teach her kids.
Totally unacceptable!