Riverdale and Zucchini

What do these two things have in common? Absolutely nothing ha ha. My daughters newest obsession is a show on Netflix called Riverdale. It is like a modern day version of the Archie comics. She loved the comics so she was excited to watch the show. It did not disappoint! She loved the show so much she wanted me to see it too. So now she is rewatching the episodes with me so I can watch them all. We have gotten through the first 4 episodes this week. Tonight since it's not a school night and we can stay up later she wants to watched three episodes... But we will have to see how many we can get to. It's pretty good am am enjoying watching it with her although it isn't something I would watch on my own. There are 13 episodes to the first season. Season two is coming out soon and she is very excited. My sister gave me a large zucchini. I am trying to make as many recipes as I can with it before it goes bad. I made a Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna this week and a few days ago I made Carrot Apple Zucchini bread. I still have a lot of zucchini left. I think my next recipe will be some cupcakes made with it. After that it might have to be thrown out what is left as cut up in my fridge I do not know how long it will last.
@shaggin @paigea The mistake of letting a zucchino (singular) grow as much as it likes is often made. This is not a good idea. It shouldn't become longer than ~20 cm (7 to 8 inches). If it becomes bigger, the inside becomes a bit like cotton. The taste isn't so good anymore.
That does make sense. I saw a friend on Facebook holding a picture of a zucchini her son grew that was even larger then mine. I would say it was about 3 feet long. The one I had is about 2 feet long. If I decide to grow zucchini myself in the future I will remember your advice!
@shaggin @paigea Do that. You'll taste the difference. I've found a photo which shows the best size of a zucchino. You know how large a plate is and can see that it doesn't even reach across it.
@MALUSE, True, the big zucchinis do not taste the best.
IN my younger days, I sometimes made the Zucchini lasagna. It wasn't bad, but I sure prefer the pasta kind.
Hollowed out zucchini filled with pieces of tomato or minced meat, topped with cheese and put into the oven or under a grill taste very good.
@MALUSE I should try this one.
@marlina Do that! You can also do it with aubergines (egg plants). I like this dish very much. Drop me a line when you've prepared it.
I loved that show Riverdale..I watched all the episodes Shaggin. I hope they do another season I liked it so much .... Oh nice Zuchinni Lasagna sounds good.
A new season is supposed to be coming out soon. My daughter and I have watched two episodes tonight. We likely will get to watch the third one tonight like she hoped and then we will be more then halfway through them all from season 1.
@shaggin Oh is it? That is exciting thanks Shaggin.
I will have to check out that show. I used to be a big fan of Archie comic books. Just don't know if I can see it online here in Latvia. Zucchini is delicious.
I hope you are able to watch it where you live since you were a fan of the comics!
@JustBhem (37140)
• Davao, Philippines
I am also a fan of this Series though it disappoints me a little. But since I am a fan, I will still be watching this.
I loved the first season. I haven't seen any of the season 2 episodes yet. I will watch them once they come to Netflix.
@JustBhem (37140)
• Davao, Philippines
@shaggin Season 2 is up, I don't know. I think I'm kinda disappointed with it.
@JustBhem my daughter has been watching season two somewhere online but I will wait until it comes to Netflix.
Zucchini lasagne sounds great. I'm a bit surprised you can make cupcakes with it.
I have a few recipes I have written down to try but do not have all the ingredients. Two are for cookies, one is for cupcakes and I cannot remember the others. I so badly wanted to make something sweet today but just didn't have enough ingredients for anything.
@shaggin Some days you just seem to run out of everything.
@JudyEv yes and that time was recently! My son has no school Thursday or Friday so he and I are going to go swimming at the YMCA and afterwards we can stop at Walmart and get some groceries that we are out of.
I agree with @MALUSE large zucchini are not good, remove the inside, stuff what left and bake.
I am glad I wrote this post since I have learned something new that will be helpful to me if I ever grow my own. I shredded what I had left and froze it in bags of a half cup and a cup for recipes I will be making once I get all the ingredients I need.
@shaggin You can make zucchini fritters with shredded zucchini, they are good.
@LadyDuck I don't recall what fritters are I will have to look it up.
@BarBaraPrz (19848)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Is Riverdale live action or animation? It is possible to freeze zucchine for use in future lasagne.
I have froze Zucchini in the last lots of times and used in baking but I don't think it would work well for the lasagna. When frozen then thawed the zucchini gets very mushy. It makes carrot cake very moist when added to the batter but probably wouldn't work well for other dishes.
@BarBaraPrz (19848)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@shaggin When I used it frozen in lasagne, I didn't thaw it first, and sprinkled it with the dried grated parmesan Kraft sells in the shaker tins. Worked out well for me.
@BarBaraPrz this lasagna used the zucchini in place of the noodles is that how you mean when you did it with the frozen zucchini?
@Gillygirl (17282)
• Sutton, England
I'll check this show on Netflix. I like zucchini. We are overloaded with apples and pears at present. Hope all is good with you.
Things are pretty calm here so that to me is pretty good. We have lots of apples on our tree I want to start making things with soon.
@Gillygirl (17282)
• Sutton, England
@shaggin Glad to here that. I keep having time off the site so need to catch up again.
@Gillygirl Same here so wasn't able to be active here over the summer and only for short periods now.
@YesWay (3447)
Oh yum, cupcakes would be good
Now that I have gone shopping I have the ingredients I need to try making a few new things!
@YesWay (3447)
@shaggin Excellent stuff Come back and let us know how you get on
@YesWay Well today I made a copycat version of McDonald's Caramel frappe's it was yummy. My kids and I enjoyed it. Tomorrow I plan to make a brownie mix no bake cheesecake.
We planted 2 zucchini plants and have a ridiculous number of large zucchinis. You can shred it ready for muffins and freeze it. I should make the zucchini lasagne today. Yum
I did not see this comment until now but shredding it and freezing it was what I did today. I had a bunch of recipes I wanted to use it in but not enough ingredients to make anything. I shredded the amounts I would need for the recipes I will be making and then I froze the amount in separate baggies and put it all in one larger one in the freezer.
@shaggin handy
@Shellyann36 (9616)
I have not watched Riverdale. I keep seeing the commercials for it but we watch another show during that time slot. I love zukes! They are so versatile.
We watch Riverdale on Netflix. We watched all of season 1. Season 2 is out now but it's not on Netflix yet. My daughter watched it somewhere online. Once it comes on Netflix we will watch it together.
@KrauseHome (35034)
Never heard of this show. Might have to check it out. As for Zucchini, I Love Zucchini so many different ways and really miss having a lot of it.
It seems like it is geared towards teenagers this show but both my daughter (who is a teen) and I liked it a lot.
@Tracy04 (10839)
Zucchini is delicious
It is pretty good. Squash is pretty similar but I do not like it.
@YrNemo (12657)
zucchini goes well in spaghetti bolognese sauce.
I think bolognese has meat in it is that correct?
@Tina30219 (34223)
• Onaway, Michigan
Glad your daughter found a show she likes and she wanted to share it with you. I hope you enjoy the rest of the goodies you want to make with your zucchini before it goes bad.
I just ate up the last of the Carrot Apple Zucchini Bread. I don't think I will have time to make anything tomorrow so maybe I better freeze it before it goes bad. I could at least use the thawed zucchini in baking cupcakes etc so it won't get wasted.
Yum I love zucchini especially fresh grown from the garden. Zucchini is so versatile and I hope you find other things to do with it and not have to throw any of it out.
I didn't have enough ingredients in my house to many any more things with it so I shredded the zucchini and put it in baggies in the freezer to make things with the next few weeks. Today I made apple muffins which was pretty much the only thing I had ingredients for and I got to use 3 apples from my tree.
@LeaPea2417 (20446)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have never watched that show. I have made zucchini bread in the past when I had lots of zucchini.
I don't think I have ever made simply zucchini bread but the recipe I used recently had carrots and apples in it. I want to make it again and add the nuts I left out last time.
@holdoors (1672)
Riverdale is a great show. I am waiting for Season 2.
Same here. I cant wait to see what happens next season. While we are waiting we are going to start another series my daughter has picked out. I can't think of the name of the show though.
So glad you and your daughter are enjoying those movies together. You are getting good use from zucchini!!
She and I finished watching the whole first series Sunday. I really liked the show and we are both now anxiously awaiting season 2. I told her we should watch Fuller House together but she said she never saw Full House so it would be pointless :-\