Shortly we'll be saying goodbye to our motor-home

Bunbury, Australia
Two years ago we bought a motor-home in Ireland. We were pleased with the vehicle as, although it was old, it hadn’t done a lot of miles and seemed to be just what we wanted. We toured Great Britain, Ireland and the continent for five months then left it with our son in Ireland when we returned to Australia. In May this year we returned to Ireland, picked up the motor-home and toured France and Ireland for another four months. While in the Pyrenees we hit a roadside barrier and did some damage to the side although we were still able to drive it as normal. Now it has been assessed for insurance purposes and they are writing it off. The body is constructed of fibreglass as a complete unit and it is therefore not viable to repair it. We insured it for the amount we paid for it and it seems we will get the full amount back. As we planned to sell it at the end of this trip, the decision to write the vehicle off couldn’t be better. We won’t have the bother of selling it and we’ll get our money back. Although it will be a bit sad to say goodbye to the van, It is totally a win-win situation for us.
everything seems to be positive there.Great trip you guys had
It is strange sometimes how things turn out, isn't it? We've had a wonderful holiday.
@JudyEv yes you did a grand one.Something to reflect on
@ptrikha_2 (5698)
@JudyEv Yes but great things and great times do also come to an end! Don't they?
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
That was a happy outcome Judy. Hope you have enjoyed your trip so far.
We were very fortunate that it all turned out the way it did. It would have been very messy if we'd had to repair it as we have our tickets booked to go home.
We used to rent a car when we traveled in the United States. A couple of times we were very sad to say farewell to the car that brought us around for three or four weeks. We have sold our 17 year old Ford last year, I have been very sad, but it had become not financially effective to keep it.
We have had a couple of very nice hire cars too. You do get attached to some vehicles. I'll be pretty sad to sell the big bus we have in Donnybrook but it's time for it to go.
@JudyEv I envy people who are capable not to get attached to objects, they do not suffer.
That van has served you well!! You really do have a win-win situation.
It's funny how things turn out sometimes, isn't it?
@JudyEv Yes, life is full of those things that just work out well.
@YrNemo (7483)
Congrats! One problem solved in a satisfying manner. Now we just have to sing along with Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman, Time to say goodbye, Paesi che non ho mai veduto e vissuto con te adesso si li vivrò, (The translation from the lyrics page, Time to say goodbye to countries I never saw and shared with you, now, yes, I shall experience them. )
Thanks for putting the translation in. We will miss the old van. It's a bit sad to think she'll end up on the scrapheap. And I wonder why vehicles are regarded as females?
@YrNemo (7483)
@JudyEv Only @LadyDuck and @topffer could explain to us, re: why vehicles are females.
@YrNemo In Italian and France the car is female, while the trucks are male. There is not an explanation and not all the time it's the same in French and Italian, like flower, it's male in Italian, but female in French.
It served you well for what you needed it for!!
It did a wonderful job for us - took us through the Pyrenees and Alps, through Scotland and England. It's been great.
@JudyEv You got your money's worth plus!
@AbbyGreenhill It doesn't owe us a cent. It's a shame it's being scrapped but someone might be able to patch it up.
@hereandthere (23031)
it's interesting to know that the body was all fiberglass. i guess i thought like most vehicles it's composed of different metal parts joined together.
The guy at the garage said the design was ahead of its time and wasn't very popular. I think some vehicles now are made of plastic! They don't seem to cope with any sort of a knock nowadays.
@JudyEv they seem to get scratched and crumple easily
@ptrikha_2 (5698)
@JudyEv Wow so you had a futuristic vehicle!
@pgntwo (21464)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That's a pretty cunning plan, wish I'd thought of it.
Not sure what the 'cunning plan' was but it is the best possible outcome for us.
@pgntwo (21464)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JudyEv To get "free" use of a motorhome, and your money back. Shame you had a bump in it, though. I suspect the best cunning plans are purely fortuitous anyhow!
@pgntwo Oh I see. Of course, you're right. We spent quite some time discussing what might happen but this just makes life so much easier. On our second last day on a tour on the Queen Mary I won the jackpot at bingo and that paid all our expenses for the whole 16 days or whatever. That was a cunning plan too! And very fortuitous.
You planning on getting a new one with the money that you'll get?
We're not sure yet. We'll go home and think about it for a while.
@JudyEv I'm sure it will be something worthwhile.
@Deepizzaguy (7277)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
At least you come out on top in this story.
We did indeed. We couldn't have wished for a better end result.
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@JudyEv That is what counts.
Congratulations. Glad it worked out for you.
I think we were very fortunate. If we'd had to have it repaired it would have been a real headache.
Glad it's a win win situation at least.
It couldn't have turned out better. We can still use it if we want to up to the day we leave.
@xFiacre (10381)
@judyev All's well that ends well.
Indeed - and this has ended very well.
@Tina30219 (25742)
• Onaway, Michigan
Sorry to hear it was notbrepairable but glad to hear that you are getting the full amount back. Will you be getting another one or no?
I'm not sure whether we'll get another one or not. We'll go home and think about it for a while.
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm glad it turned out so well for you. It seems they don't fix many cars after accidents anymore. I drove my car away from an accident, too, but they wouldn't fix it -- just declared it totaled and gave me about a third of what it cost me to replace it.
We didn't pay a lot for this vehicle and it was actually valued at more. Luckily we had it insured for the price we paid for it so we're hoping we'll get the whole amount back. I know they don't bother to repair many cars now. It's a shame you got so little for yours.
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv We drove it for eleven years, but we loved it. We usually drive our cars until they die.
@bagarad My little car is nearly 20 years old but I love it.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Wow, you got a good deal. I can't imagine that we would get such a deal with our insurance. Lucky you. Congratulations.
It probably helped that the vehicle didn't cost a lot. In fact, the garage valued it at more than we paid for it which helped. Certainly we were lucky.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv Yes, if you bought it for less than it was worth. That would explain it.
@RubyHawk We got a bargain at the time.
Well that couldn't have worked out any better - I'd say it was definitely a win-win situation! You had so many wonderful adventures with it - you guys sure made good use of that motor-home.
It served us very well indeed. It seems a great shame it will now be more or less scrap but I guess the motor will be okay for someone.
@JudyEv So is it just cosmetic damage? I wonder if someone could actually still buy it and use it (though I know your situation is still the best situation to be in).
@much2say The problem looks to be cosmetic but because the fibreglass has been broken, water is able to get into the area and the floor will gradually rot. The whole frame has been shifted just a little but enough to cause problems with sealing. The insurance company will put it up for tender and will hope to get a few thousand for it.
@silvermist (15807)
At last! As you said,it is a win win situation.I think you would not be buying a new motor home. At least,that is what I would do.
It has turned out very well. We thought about buying a boat but that is even more hassle so we won't do anything for the moment. Just says thanks for our good fortune.
@silvermist (15807)
@JudyEv Yes,and let the money have a rest in the bank.
@silvermist Maybe it will even earn us a little interest.
I'm sorry you hit a barrier in the Pyrenees, but it's good that you get a win/win out of it.
We were a bit despondent about the damage as there could have been a very different outcome. We were very lucky.
@JudyEv I'm sure you were. I know I would have been in the same situation. You were lucky to have a good outcome to it.
@just4him It could have been a very different outcome really.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
Glad that turned out well. Wow that was a long vacation
It was indeed. We have enjoyed our retirement and consider ourselves very lucky.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@JudyEv I would too, I'm not sure I would like to be away from home for that long, but it does sound wonderful.
@fishtiger58 Our other son is four hours flying time away which makes being away a bit easier.