The length of a shirt sleeve?

@Asylum (47345)
Manchester, England
During my 68 years I have bought countless shirts, as have most males throughout their lives. I always buy shirts according to collar size, along with the choice of slim or regular fit. All other criteria are normally visual only, such as collar style, with or without pocket etcetera. The only reference to sleeve length is usually whether it is short or long sleeved. Recently I was looking at buying a few non iron shirts from an online store. After selecting a shirt and collar size I attempted to add this to the basket, but encountered an error message requesting further measurements. One of these measurements was sleeve length. I have always understood that the sleeve length was proportionate to the collar size, as would be the overall length of the shirt itself. Since I cannot be certain from which point a sleeve measurement would begin, I cannot even measure one of my current shirts as a guideline. Have you ever bought a shirt according to sleeve length?
I know for fitted suits and clothes they measure the sleeve length, but I've never come across it while shopping
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I am surprised that they have any customers since nobody would know what to order.
@Asylum I think it is more common for tailored outfits, but I can't afford a tailor so I may be wrong
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake It would be less of a problem for a tailor.
@topffer (30796)
• France
Like you write, the standard sleeve length of a shirt is proportionate to the collar size, so if you have not a standard size of arms you will have a problem with a suit jacket, as the sleeves of your shirt are supposed to be a bit more longer than the sleeves of your jacket. It is why a few brands are offering different size for the sleeves, when it comes to "business" shirts (opposed to "casual" shirts) : for example, instead of a standard 40 (collar)/84 (sleeves) cm (it would be a Medium size in UK), you can find also 40/82 and 40/86.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
That does not alleviate my problem of not knowing how to assess the appropriate length.
@Mike197602 (13528)
• Worcester, England
Charles Tyrwhitt understands that everyone has varying body shapes and sizes, that's why we offer different fits to suit all.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@Mike197602 I have seen this but do not feel confident that I would measures it accurately.
I am the one who buy for my husband and I have bought all the time by the collar size, the sleeves are proportionate to the collar, I have never found same collar with different length of sleeves. I have to check online.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I encountered this at ctshirts.com
@Asylum I am looking at the site and they sell nice men's clothing. I have no clues about the length of the sleeves.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Yet without specifying sleeve length you cannot order shirts.
I remember mom buying patterns to make blouses for us. When it came to measuring for sleeve length she always measured from my armpit to my wrist. I suppose it would be the same for men's measurements. She also measured around the top of my arm so that it would not fit too tightly.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
It would be a major problem if I measured wrong and ordered shirts.
Yes, it really would @Asylum do you have a phone # you could call?
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann Call who? The online site itself clearly wants me to choose the size.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
I would think it would be from the shoulder to the cuff of the sleeve, but you're right I never heard them ask about sleeve length except for long or short.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I am reluctant to rise ordering shirts that could have sleeves extra long or short.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum I never order clothes online I have to try things on.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@fishtiger58 That would be difficult online.
I never had that problem when I bought shirts for my late X or my boys.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I have been wearing shorts for over 60 years and have never encountered this before.
@Asylum I never heard of it even with my own clothes. So maybe it's something new with the company.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@just4him As far as I can assess I would be either 33 or 34 inches, but am not confident.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yes I have for my nephew and son. I measured from just where the top of the shoulder is to the end of the wrist..it worked. Good luck getting the right length @Asylum. I am sure it will do fine. Is it a Ben Sherman? You could get yourself a personal tailor lol Hope you are keeping well this lovely weekend.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I have bought Ben Sherman shirts and they do not require this measurement.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum Yes a lot of shirts donĀ“t require that when you order them, though I have seen it on occasion. I did find that when they were ordered with the sleeve measurement, they fit to a tee!
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView Assuming that the correct measurement was supplied.
@pgntwo (21769)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I was going to say "they're pulling your leg", but I thought I'd put a more 'armless response up instead... I seem to recall being measured of for a suit rental one time, the guy put the tape measure on the top of my shoulder joint, asked me to bend my arm a little at the elbow, and measured down the outside of my arm, over the elbow, to the back of my wrist. Hope that helps...
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
It does clarify the matter, but still does not enable me to measure with confidence. Naturally I am reluctant to order shirts which may have impractical sleeve length. A couple of inches long or short would be a problem.
@pgntwo (21769)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum Or you could pop into your local Burton's and be measured up (unless Grace Bros have an outlet in your vicinity...)
John Inman was my hero in the hit comedy TV show "Are you Being Served". He was so witty, warmhearted and gay *(meaning happy) he made the whole show worth w...
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@pgntwo If I ask Mr Humphries to measure me for a shirt he may start with the inside leg.
Yes, but it seems to me there are only two sleeve sizes available. I could be mistaken. It's been a long time since I've purchased a shirt for my husband with long sleeves.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I have never ordered according to sleeve length.
@Asylum I never noticed until I bought a couple too long many years ago.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries That would be very annoying.
I haven't noticed this but then we never need to buy business shirts now.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I was only interested because they were non iron. These can be hard to find.
@Asylum Non-iron is always more convenient.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv I agree, but they are hard to find near where I live.
@Gillygirl (15320)
• Sutton, England
No I've always bought by collar size. My husband has had problems with sleeve length at times. The long sleeves can be too long.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
This is why I am reluctant to risk buying the wrong length.
@Gillygirl (15320)
• Sutton, England
@Asylum That is one of the nuisances of ordering online.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
@Gillygirl I agree.
@velvet53 (15378)
• Palisade, Colorado
Yes I have but there are times the sleeve wasn't long enough. My son has long arms and it was always hard to find a shirt where the sleeves were long enough for him.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
In his case it should be better to order according to sleeve length.
@velvet53 (15378)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Asylum Yes it would. Every once in awhile I could find the right length for him.
Never heard of it before. Usually when you are online you see a shirt with short sleeves or long sleeves and order what you like. Never had to measure for one. I did have to measure when I was making a sweater or sewing a shirt.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I have always understood that the sleeve was standard for a specific collar size.
@Asylum you taught me something I didn't know. LOL
@antonbunot (9506)
• Calgary, Alberta
I think lots of male online buyers are buying shirts with very short sleeves. Most, if not all, of them go to the gym to work out. They love to show off their muscular arms. That must be the reason of the message.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
Surely that would only require making a choice between long or short sleeved?
@kepweng (6444)
i noticed that mostly men now wearing so fit t shirts and mosly the sleeves cannot see beacuse they just want to show thier muscles
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I prefer a shirt because I have no muscles.
@Shiva49 (9758)
I check that too as mostly it is mentioned in the measurements. I have not ordered online yet for my clothing. I recall there are two variations for my collar size - siva
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
I tend to buy the same size collar every time, whereas some dimensions vary according to manufacturer.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes, it is not uncommon in the US to also have sleeve length. Mostly, however, on what I would call a dress shirt, not a casual plaid shirt. My husband is a 32-33 sleeve length which is an average length, he is not very tall.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
That could prove to be useful information.
@JESSY3236 (5066)
I'm not a man, but that's strange measurement. I guess you measure the length of your arm for long sleeves.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
Yes, but from which point.
@Mike197602 (13528)
• Worcester, England
I have in the past but that was tailored stuff not off the peg. Maybe they're making it specifically for you, I have heard of a few tailors in HK doing that where you enter the measurements and they make the suit and ship it to you. haven't heard of it for shirts very often though.
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
It is a complete first for me. It would be far easier if they simply supplied shirts with pre ordained sleeve lengths.
@singhisback (2213)
• Jalandhar, India
No never bothered about it. It's just the normal
@Asylum (47345)
• Manchester, England
It still presents a problem if I am requested to supply the information.