Pupils/students punishment

@Akatheu (419)
Nairobi, Kenya
Should teachers punish children by making them kneel on the floor. Is this really a good way to disciple children?
If a teacher in Germany did that, he or she would lose their job *at once*!
@stbrians (12791)
• Kakamega, Kenya
It is not good to do this to children. Germans do it fine
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I strongly support the teacher being fined or even fired
Same here in the US. That is corporal punishment and is illegal here
@stbrians (12791)
• Kakamega, Kenya
I do not like this punishment
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Some still do this in Kenya
@Akatheu The idea that a child learns more if he or she is punished in this way is ridiculous. The child will only learn to hate the teacher and the subject. Parents could campaign for the abolition of such a punishment. Yet, I'm afraid that many stupid parents want to keep it - because they were also punished in this way and they claim that it has done them good. Stupidity will never die.
@suripunj (784)
• New Delhi, India
@MALUSE i am against to corporal punishment but teachers have my tacit consent to discipline my child(hope she does not see my post).
@mandala100 (39839)
@Akatheu Corporal punishment in whatever form against any students/pupils is no longer allowed in most part of the world. It is even considered as a crime my friend.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
But some teachers still do this while hiding
@mandala100 (39839)
@Akatheu That's really very unfortunate to hear my friend.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@mandala100 sure, this can also lead to life sentence
@Lizirazo (2453)
It's a no for me, though it happens a lot here in Africa but l won't allow or tolerate any teacher punish my kids.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Some mistakes you should allow the teacher to five the pupil a simple punishment
@Lizirazo (2453)
@Akatheu l won't allow any teacher give my kids any simple punishment. The teacher will definitely have scores to settle with me.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Lizirazo I guess all schools give simple punishments to the pupils. Do you have an kid in school?
@suripunj (784)
• New Delhi, India
This is not the right way,but what is the right way to discipline the child at the age of their ignorance to certain conventional wisdom which in one way or other you have to inculcate in them at the beginning of their age.Every punishment has its own demerit and adverse effect.I am myself interested to know the correct way to discipline them, i think some teachers who are over in my lot can better suggest the right way for the same.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@suripunj are you a teacher?
@suripunj (784)
• New Delhi, India
@Akatheu No.I am parent of a 4 year girl.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@suripunj waoh that's good, am a parent of one year baby, hope by the time they rich upper grade the punishments will have changed!!
Here in the USA, a teacher would be removed from his or her position for doing that. Parents would also file lawsuits against that teacher.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I feel USA is lucky. Here the punishment is so harsh and we grow up mentally disturbed by those memories. It is so sad that people believe physical force will help correct someone
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Some punishment may make children not concentrate in their studies hence they may even drop from school
@rubyriaz007 (3574)
Severe punishments should not be given,but it does not mean we should ignore their mistakes.No harm in giving simple punishments,so that they will learn from their mistakes.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Simple punishments could really make pupils to change the behavior but not harsh punishments
@Rikrish (37)
• Nepal
Its far better than teachers taking a stick and spanking our butts. That`s what used to happen in my school ,
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Same case here this stick is what used to work on us during our times, and I tell you it was tough.
@pumpkinjam (5767)
I don't really see how it is a good way to discipline the children. For the majority, it won't hurt but I can't see it doing anything. Then again, teachers are often limited as to what they can do, especially when some parents would rather complain about the type of discipline than support the school in disciplining the child.
• Nepal
I would like to say that there is one good thing about it. It MAKES STUDENTS REAL CLEVER. It helps them later in life. Students learn how to avoid beatings and punishments. They turn into clever beings.
@Rikrish Yes, they may learn to behave so they don't get punished but, honestly, I can't see any child being bothered about having the kneel on the floor.
• Nepal
@pumpkinjam No, you would be bothered if your crush in your class was watching you at that time. It would be embarrassing.
@Kind4321 (852)
• Nairobi, Kenya
While I advocate for discipline and back in the day when i was a child i knelt down severally...to me it does not make sense now.I believe there are more better punishments that could be effective and help in shaping children's behaviors!
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Those days we were severely punishment and no parent could complain, instead they advocated for us to be punished
@Kind4321 (852)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Akatheu sure how times change
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Kind4321 I remember we could kneel even for an hour raising your hands high. Did you experience this?
@antonbunot (9513)
• Calgary, Alberta
When I was studying in the seminary (I wanted to become a priest), our rector (a priest) punished us by letting us kneel for half an hour. I think it is a good way to discipline kids especially when they are also told to pray while kneeling.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@antonbunot I didn't know even in the Seminary they can punish this way
• Calgary, Alberta
@Akatheu Now you know. I studied in the seminary for years . . Too bad I lost my vocation to the priesthood for reason not for this (kneeling). Kneeling is a better punishment than hitting a child. I think it is a good way of instilling discipline to young people. I don't have any problem with that.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@antonbunot you would have been a good priest. Isn't it?
@peachpurple (12851)
when I was young, my teacher punished me by standing on the desk, pulling both ears,. Nowadays, teachers are only allow to use ruler to beat the hand of the student, no kneeling or standing on the desk.
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Some don't even allow the ruler it's just completely not allowed
@peachpurple (12851)
@Akatheu really?
@Akatheu (419)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@peachpurple yea it's very true