Earthquakes

Recently there was a big earthquake in Mexico, but there was a small one in New England the Tuesday before that one. I live in New England, so did I feel the quake...noooo I did however hear it. As a matter of fact my daughter and I both heard it. It was a deep rumble like several trains or subways passing by at the same time. Neither of us could really place the sound and when we looked around there was nothing amiss, so we decided it was weird sounding thunder and didn't think about it again. The next morning we heard about the 1.7 quake and we both realized what we had heard.
We have had little quakes in IL, but I have never felt or heard them. Others have felt some shaking, but none I have talked to have heard them.
It was very strange, unlike any loud noise we have ever heard.
• Preston, England
only experienced one quake - quite a small one but the house - back in Manchester shook like a Rhino wa charging into it - they say it was caused by fracking
I am not overly familiar with fracking, however if it can cause quakes it should be stopped.
• Preston, England
@sumofalltears it causes underground explosions - the shock waves generate quakes
@arthurchappell obviously not a good thing.
You must have a fine ear if you feel a 1.7 earthquake. In my country, we don´t get up from where we are if there´s an earthquake smaller that 5.00 Richter. But then, most of our houses are built earthquake proof.
It was quite loud and unlike any noise we had ever heard.
I'm glad the quake wasn't bad in New England.
It wasn't bad, but there have been so many bad ones recently....makes one wonder.
@sumofalltears Yes there have. It does give one pause to think.
@YesWay (3454)
Frightening. Stay safe.
I will be safe here, we get the little ones here.
@YesWay (3454)
@sumofalltears Good to hear x
@nomus24g (23741)
1.7 in Richter scale is very minor tremor....
It might be a minor tremor, but it is a loud noise...
@nomus24g (23741)
@sumofalltears hmm...I see...
I hope we never have a big one.
I hope there is never a big one here, in retrospect it may have been part of the bigger one in mexico....never know how these things can work.
@Micmac (9020)
Thank goodness, you are safe there. I have friends living in Mexico so I hope they are all right. I remember hearing an earthquake some time ago - it sounded like a huge truck and then I felt my home swaying like I was on a ship in the sea. Quite frightening.
@Freelanzer (9373)
So glad it wasn't more serious, but must have been scary to those who heard and felt it.
@velvet53 (16997)
• Palisade, Colorado
Wow! You got one too? They seem to be everywhere right now.
@YrNemo (13412)
I was in a hotel in New Zealand when I felt things rumbling... I found out later that New Zealand has always been famous for minor earthquakes.