Which way does the sun go?

Bunbury, Australia
We came to Ireland from Australia about the middle of May and we go home next Sunday so we’ve had a lovely long holiday. Some of it was spent in Ireland but we also had two months in France. I noticed a few differences in living in the northern hemisphere as opposed to the southern hemisphere. Firstly, as far as myLotting goes, I seem to be more on the same time zone as many other members instead of being asleep while the majority of members are interacting. It’s always a bit of a surprise when I post something and someone responds within a few minutes. The other physical difference is that the sun seems to be going the ‘wrong’ way. In Australia, it rises in the east and moves in a northerly direction before setting in the west. In Ireland and France, it still rises in the east but moves in a southerly direction before setting. We can never work out where to park our van to take advantage of the sun (if it’s cool) or the shade (if it’s hot). Only a few days now and we’ll be back in familiar territory and I won’t have to worry about which way the sun is going. The photo is of some colourful cows we saw near Mont St Michel. I like the little sheep too.
@UncleJoe (9088)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Maybe there are two suns.
lol, I think there is.
Maybe we have one each! That would be pretty cool.
@Ulymax (11)
The could have melt.
• Riga, Latvia
I also think the sun does different things in different hemispheres. Really nice photo. Love those cows and sheep.
We've seen painted cows all over the place. There are a lot in Western Australia too.
@Ulymax (11)
My though!
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
You have had an amazing holiday and I'm impressed at how you've managed to keep up your appearance here as well. There's no place like home however, is there!
The internet service seems to be improving all the time. And this time Vince has been able to use his phone as a 'hot spot' so we haven't always had to rely on internet from a caravan park. If we can get a phone signal we can access the internet. Keeping things charged has been the challenge this time.
There is comfort in the thought that your worries over the sun and where it is going will soon be over!!!
That's true. This time next week I'll have forgotten all about my worries!
@Ulymax (11)
Happy moments will be
@peachpurple (11800)
I don't really notice where the sun rise or set, all I know is when my laundry will dry
I dry my laundry outside too so I know how you feel.
My parents always made sure to park in the shade so their vehicles wouldn't be as hot when they came out. I can't do that. I have to park however far down the row in front of the store doors or I will not be able to find my car when I come out. It doesn't matter if it's all the way at the very end of the parking lot the last space that is where I will park even in the rain if it's in the row straight down from the doors.
I really meant parking the motor-home in a caravan park but I know what you mean. We've lost our car before today in a big parking lot.
@moffittjc (36817)
• Gainesville, Florida
I never thought about the fact that the angle of the sun's trajectory across the sky would be different in the northern hemisphere versus the southern hemisphere. It makes sense, but it's just something people don't think about unless they experience it! And of course, now that you mentioned it, I am going to pay extra attention to the sun's movement in the sky today! haha
We could never work out where to park the van so that we got the benefit of the shade when we had hot days. It was quite weird.
@moffittjc (36817)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv That's okay, that won't be as bad as me trying to drive on the left hand side of the road when I come to visit Australia! Now that's going to be weird! haha
@moffittjc Vince had more trouble adjusting back again when we got back to Ireland but that should be second nature.
@YesWay (3458)
I have never been to Ireland despite it being so close to us here in England I am glad you had a lovely holiday
Thanks. Do you think you might go to Ireland one day? It's a very pretty place.
@YesWay (3458)
@JudyEv Definitely. The only thing that's stopped me so far, is that it works out relatively expensive for us. And whenever I've looked into it before a weekend in Ireland has cost about the same as a week in Spain..
@YesWay It isn't the cheapest of places that's for sure. With the motor-home we had our own accommodation and could cook our own meals so it was a good way for us to go.
@Gillygirl (16033)
• Sutton, England
Sounds as though you have had a wonderful holiday. It seems strange to think you are so close to the UK
We had to drive from Portsmouth to Fishguard because of problems with the ferry but we didn't have any time to spare which was a shame.
@Gillygirl (16033)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv That is a shame. Portsmouth is an interesting city to explore.
@Gillygirl I wish we could have had more time in England but maybe next time - if there is one.
@mom210 (5982)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That must have been an amazing trip. I hope to be able to travel some day and experience some of those interesting things.
I only wish we had been able to start our travels sooner. It's getting harder as we get older.
@mom210 (5982)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv I do understand that and worry about that. But it seems it is nearly impossible to do to much while working and doing the kid thing.
@mom210 That's true. We could have started earlier but we didn't like to go away while my elderly mother was still alive - and she didn't die till 104.
• Preston, England
The Sun just spends a lot of time hiding behnd clouds here at present
We're not seeing a lot of sun in Ireland either although it is surprisingly hot when it does make an appearance.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv it is out here at present with forecasts of a hot weekend
@Ulymax (11)
It will come out from its hid outs a minutes
@Jackalyn (6533)
• Oxford, England
I always send the bath water to Australia when I pull the plug out of my grandsons Bath. What I can't remember is which way round it is for which continent.
I'm not sure it's not just a fallacy. I remember we were on a cruise and I wanted to pull the plug while we crossed the equator - just to see what happened - but I forgot!
@Jackalyn (6533)
• Oxford, England
@JudyEv Well, when you get back home we can try and work it out.
@sueznewz2 (9765)
• Alicante, Spain
yes it's strange isn't it... i'm glad you have had a good time ... and seen some wonderful sights .. and....been able to share them with us... regularly... has your husband got an auzzie sim card in his phone or a european one from ireland... as it has worked very well for you as a hot spot...
I think we have an Irish SIM card. It's been good to have access to the internet while we've been away. It was very hit and miss last time.
@sueznewz2 (9765)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv yes I remember last time... it has been much better for you this time..
The sun moves across a slightly different path according to the seasons. In summer at 6 in the morning it's right inside the windows of our office, now it comes up that it's a little bit south and no sun in the office for the next 8 months.
We are used to its movements at home but it follows a different path here.
@JudyEv It surely is different, you are on the northern hemisphere here.
Well you had an awesome trip...hopefully you can go back next year as well!
It would be nice to think that it wasn't our last trip,
@Ulymax (11)
Plan onother trip...enjoy it at paris
I only have one.Oh!sorry you are talking about something else.LOL
Haha. I think you are deliberately misunderstanding me.
@JudyEv this is typical of me in my old age.LOL
@Raelove (16268)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, funny how we take these things for granted. It's east to west here, too, though it does shift slightly north-west as the autumn nears and the earth tilts away from the sun.
We couldn't get the hang of it at all for some reason. We could never work out which way the shadows were moving.
@Raelove (16268)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv I suspect you'd get used to it after awhile. Here's, it's just second nature to expect shadows to form toward the east at day's end. And now, with the sun setting earlier each day, it's happening a bit earlier.
I didn't realize the sun would go in a different path. It's east to west for us. I love those colorful cows. Very nice picture.
It's still east to west but the sun moves in a northerly arc or a southerly arc which is what keeps throwing us.
@JudyEv I can understand that.
Those cows are rather pretty.
They're lovely aren't they? Wouldn't you like to have a paddock full of them?
@fly802 (1468)
You`re having some memorable events.
We are indeed. It's been great.