Have You Attended A Buddhist Prayer?

@thelme55 (14930)
Germany
Is it also called a Mass? I wonder! Last Sunday, I have attended a Buddhist prayer at the house of my Thai workmate. It was the 3rd time I was invited and so I didn't say that I have no time. I was curious this time. Very curious how it went. I made cake pops as requested and brought it to the Buddhist gathering. I was the only one catholic and of course the only not Thai. There were 3 monks in the house of my workmate who was collected from Cologne temple. My workmate was dressed in a typical Thai traditional dress. She looked more gorgeous than before. There were already plenty of Thais in the house and some of them I worked with. During the prayer, the 3 monks sat on a couch in a lotus sit, hands opened and with a long cord that they were all holding. I did what the others did. We sat down on the mat placed on the floor while our hands were in a praying position. As the chanting went on in Thai language, I glanced every now and then at the monks. I noticed that one of the monks had his right hand under his orange clothes, moving. I was shocked because I saw that he was scrolling on a smartphone while his left hand facing up at his breast length, mouth chanting to a prayer but his eyes were looking at what his right hand was holding. A smartphone! I supposed, I was the only one who have seen it. The Thais were seriously closing their eyes while praying. I did too but as I have said I was curious and noticed every thing around me. I could have followed their chanting because it was easy for me to follow the words though I didn’t understand them. Instead, I prayed in my mind the way I prayed when I went to church. Thanking for everything and for the chance I had to join the Buddhist prayer. All in all, it was a good experience and the food was deliciously lavished although hot. Have you experienced going to a prayer of a religion you don't belong? The photo is the garden of my Thai workmate. Thanks for reading. Have a great new week to all.
That monk peeking at his smartphone needs to focus!! Hopefully, he was checking for an extremely important call. I have been to Catholic services and to Jewish service, neither of which do I belong.
@thelme55 (14930)
I don´t think that monk was checking an important call. Maybe checking fb @Corbin5
@hereandthere (32437)
sorry, no picture. i, too, would not be able to resist looking around. so how do you communicate, in english or german?
@thelme55 (14930)
Sorry. I keep on trying to put a photo but it didn't show up. We communicate in German @hereandthere
@thelme55 the size has to be less than 3mb.
@thelme55 (14930)
@hereandthere thanks. The photo showed up now.
The monk with the cell phone would have surprised me too. I've never been to a prayer service for another religion.
@thelme55 (14930)
That was the first time I did @just4him. I was invited for the 3rd times and so I didn´t refuse as my curiosity overcame me.
@thelme55 would you go if they invited you again after this?
@thelme55 (14930)
@hereandthere No, I won´t as they were all talking in Thais. I felt like I was in the other world. After the prayer and eating, one of the Monks were reading the palms of the Thais. I don´t like to know my future. How can a young Monk know my future? I am sure the Monks were younger than me.
I've been to various Buddhist ceremonies (I think it varies with cultures too) - but not a Thai prayer. I can't believe the monk was using his smartphone like that during the prayer! I have gone to other ceremonies/events of other religions many times . . . regardless of what I believe in, it's good to learn/experience what others believe in - I can at least respect their customs/rituals.
@thelme55 (14930)
That is good to know @much2say. It is indeed good to know even if it is only a bit about other people's belief and to respect their customs and tradition. Just the way we expect that from other people to respect ours.
@YesWay (3446)
I'm the same as you. I definitely would have sneaked a peek !
@thelme55 (14930)
Well, we are so curious people @YesWay
@YesWay (3446)
@thelme55 haha / that's the only way you can learn things!!
@thelme55 (14930)
@YesWay Yes. One way of learning foreign culture and tradition.
@sol_cee (16869)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Maybe he was looking at a copy of his chant because he couldn't memorize it? ;)
@thelme55 (14930)
Maybe @sol_cee but I doubt it.
@sol_cee (16869)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@thelme55 haha giving him the benefit of the doubt. ;)
We used to have a mini Buddhist temple where I live, but it closed as the owners have gone to India to study. I was hoping to attend their meetings.
@thelme55 (14930)
I see @SerenityEngel. I have not seen a temple yet in real life.
@kobesbuddy (52474)
• East Tawas, Michigan
No, because Buddah is a false God. I want nothing to do with their false idols.
@thelme55 (14930)
Really @kobesbuddy? I have not thought about that. Thanks.
@kobesbuddy (52474)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@thelme55 You're welcome, Thelma!
Buddah is actually not worshiped as a god. He was just a teacher. At least that is my understanding (I am not Buddhist but have read a little about it.)
What? I am glad you said it was the phone Thelma..but even the phone that seems very out of place for sincere prayer.
@thelme55 (14930)
Yes, I know what was in your mind @TiarasOceanView. That was what I first thought so when I saw his hands moving under the cloth. Indeed. It was unsincere to use a phone while others were praying.
@thelme55 Yes and you know being the hairdresser, I had that rubbish on more than one occasion under the cape
@TiarasOceanView really? they would actually do that while you're doing their hair?
I have never attended a religious meeting that was different from my religion.
@thelme55 (14930)
I think I wouldn´t have been if I was not invited for the 3rd times. I will not go though when they will invite me again @LadyDuck.
@thelme55 I would surely go if someone invited me, there is not reason to refuse.
@thelme55 (14930)
@LadyDuck yes, go. It is very interesting to attend such religious ceremony. I would not go though to a Muslim ceremony, however, I would love to experience the Jewish one.
@prashu228 (25614)
I never went to any other religious prayers. It's strictly not acceptable in my family . I follow Christianity.
@thelme55 (14930)
My family is not strict when it comes to religion. We are Roman Catholics but we respect other religions @prashu228 .
@prashu228 (25614)
@thelme55 we respect other religions. If we don't attend their prayers that doesn't mean ,we don't respect them. .
@thelme55 (14930)
@prashu228 I agree with you.
@JustBhem (41007)
• Davao, Philippines
I like some Buddhist chant. Namaste.
@thelme55 (14930)
Is it not a word from Indian language @JustBhem? It is the praying gesture in India. Sawadika is the Thai gesture and saying HELLO to a person.
@JustBhem (41007)
• Davao, Philippines
@thelme55 I see. I don't know, they use that word when greetings.
@Macarrosel (7542)
That's a great experience. I had attended religious meetings and prayers but none on Buddhist prayer.
@thelme55 (14930)
It was indeed a great experience. @Macarrosel I wonder if we have Buddhist people in our country.
@Srbageldog (8274)
I have never attended a Buddhist prayer but that is something I would be open to attending. Although it's a bit ridiculous that the monk was on his smartphone! Sheesh, is nothing sacred anymore? Although I have to admit, at first my mind went straight to the gutter when you said his hand was under his robe moving...
@thelme55 (14930)
Me, too @Srbageldog. I was blushed and shocked at the evil thought of what he was doing under his robe . It seems that nothing is so sacred nowadays.
@Lucky15 (33720)
I haven't yet, though I am curious with the other religions, on how they pray too :)
@thelme55 (14930)
@Lucky15 though it was my first time in a Buddhist ceremony, I know how they pray through watching movies.
I have been to many different churches and religions. I am also curious.
@thelme55 (14930)
We have a healthy curiosity @andriaperry
@mandala100 (48153)
@thelme55 I have been once my friend and it's really good to interact and understand the faith and culture of other people from different religious and cultural background. In so doing, one could contrast and deeply appreciate your own spiritual tradition my friend.
@thelme55 (14930)
That's good @mandala100. It is indeed good to understand other culture and religious belief of other persons different to our culture and tradition.
@mandala100 (48153)
@thelme55 You are right on that my friend.
@epiffanie (10408)
caught in the act.. hahaha!
@thelme55 (14930)
Yes. That was the sentence I have in mind when I caught the monk in the act
@kepweng (17545)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
ii try to buy before a mini budha for display in the house i thought it was bringing good luck but its not