Christmas Displays are Up!

Many of our department stores are already putting up their Christmas Displays. I am so not ready to see this. Whatever happened to displaying a holiday theme when it is the actual holiday? Just because they are putting out the products doesn't mean that I am ready to shop. Even so, I do wander around the area to see if there is anything new that I can't live without. I know that it retail it is all about the bottom line. But, please, can't we get through at least October before putting up those displays?
EVERYBODY HIDE! THE CHRISTMAS DISPLAYS ARE COMING! I soooooo agree.
Even worse is when you go into a store and they are already playing Christmas music. I have heard it playing in October in past years.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@ElusiveButterfly That would not bother me because I p-lay Christmas music throughout the year anyway.
@Asylum Hah!!! Bumhug!!!
@Lucky15 (33700)
When "ber" months have started, Philippines, my country will be busy with buying then displaying Christmas decors :)
I doubt I will get into the mood to buy much before November.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
December is early enough for me.
@Asylum I set some of my decorations up in the month of November. I am inspired to shop and purchase one or two new items as I see them as well.
I have to agree that they seem to be rushing the consumer into buying way far in advance of any season. Come January they will be putting out the summer clothes, what about those of us who still want to buy a new sweater-makes no sense and its no wonder why so many people are shopping online these days.
Whenever I need a specific size or item and know that I'll never find it in a store, I go online. It doesn't always insure that you'll get what you are looking for though.
Hobby Lobby freaks me out since the Christmas displays appear in the summer months. Sure does take away the excitement of Christmas for me. Overload can kill a holiday for many of us.
@JWMURP (42)
I generally think that we should finish one holiday before we start with the next one: Halloween, Thanksgiving, then Christmas, but the Almighty Dollar rules in this and other things many times.
I have never been in a Hobby Lobby. There is one to the north of us, but the hour drive keeps me from going there.
@corbin5 I was in Hobby Lobby last week and the Christmas stuff is already discounted. Even though it's rushing the holiday season I do love to browse through all their Christmas decorations etc.
@Srbageldog (5443)
Some of our stores are just now getting their Halloween displays up. I thought that they weren't finished putting the Halloween items out...but maybe they are just leaving room for Christmas.
There is a small space for Autumn decorations. There is little to choose from. In Walmart, Halloween decorations take up 2 islands that are filled on both sides and 1/2 of another. When you come inside near the garden center there are already Christmas trees to choose from. The decorations will be flying up there soon, if not already. It has been a week since I ventured into the store.
@ElusiveButterfly Remember when Halloween items didn't share shelf space with Christmas decorations?
@Srbageldog I vaguely remember that time!
Yikes! I am not ready to see this either!
I am glad that they are not yet on display here. I have seen Autumn decorations and they are really nice. Christmas decorations and music before mid-November are annoying and make me wish not even to decorate.
Nothing dampens my need to decorate. Even when I was told not to decorate, I decorated even more!
@ElusiveButterfly I still decorate, but not a lot, we are only the two of us and there are no kids in the family.
@LadyDuck I have too many decorations. Should be interesting with a Little Miss.
I saw Christmas trees in Sam's when I was there on Sunday. I didn't look to see what else they had though. It did seem a bit out of place for this time of year. Then this morning on my way to the pool I saw someone had already started putting their lights up outside. A very pretty shade of pink. I thought that was a bit early too, and then I thought they might be decorating for Halloween, but my mind negated that as usually those lights are orange. So the stores aren't the only ones getting into the holiday spirit a few months early.
I know that many want to get their lights out before it gets cold outside. One year I was outside in freezing cold temps putting up lights. Went inside several times to warm myself up. Wish I had chosen a warm day to put them up. However, September is a bit too early to put them up.
@ElusiveButterfly I agree. There are still plenty of warm days ahead still in October and probably November too. I see a lot of people putting them up on Thanksgiving because they are off work that weekend.
@just4him I haven't put up outdoor lights in many years. Not sure I am going to start anytime soon. I prefer to look at the light displays that others put up.
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
Well..I think they forgot about the "Holloween"
The Halloween displays have been up for a month. They are pretty well picked over.
@ElusiveButterfly ..Hmmm..I guess, Halloween is not catchy for people to buy I think they got the wrong way of getting the peoples attention to visit malls..
@ElusiveButterfly At least they left the "summer" stock up here until Labour Day. And then it was Halloween and the Christmas is starting to make its appearance, but only in really large stores.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
No we can't. Malls can't wait for Christmas shopping. That's when they earn most of their money. I don't want to think about Christmas yet.
I have started to think about Christmas. With hubby laid-off from work I have to think ahead.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@ElusiveButterfly I don't want to think about buying gifts. But I think prices might be Better now than later. I hope your hubby finds something soon.
@RubyHawk I hope they hire him back soon.
@BarBaraPrz (17534)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I passed a house today that has its Hallowe'en display all set up already. Actually, I saw it on Thursday first. It's ridiculous. Can't find anything I want in the dollar stores because they're removed several aisles' worth of stuff to put in Hallowe'en crap, and starting the Christmas stuff, too. Same with Value Village. Before we know it, they'll be setting up New Year's stuff, and Valentine's day, Easter, etc. And maybe they'll be so far ahead that they'll actually be in the correct season again.
There are many homes that have Halloween decorations up. Orange and black lights flashing, cobwebs decking the shrubbery, ghosts, skeletons, and spooky monsters. I really never got into decorating for Halloween.
@BarBaraPrz (17534)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@ElusiveButterfly I never did either. I used to have an electric pumpkin I'd put in the window, but it's gone now. I do have "cobwebs decking the shrubbery", but they're real. I've never come across so many cobwebs in the garden as this year, and with all the rain we had, I wonder why.
@BarBaraPrz spiders are abundant this year. Have seen quite a variety of them too.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I have seen quite a few myself and feel the same way about this. Some stores are even selling Christmas cards and decorations.
They really want to make a buck or 10 and they must think the best way is to start selling early.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@ElusiveButterfly We have now reached the point where it has become necessary because their competitors start early.
@Asylum sadly this is very true. I haven't seen the stores on our Main Street displaying Christmas items yet. They will probably start up in October because of the Foliage tourism.
@dodo19 (28097)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
This is way too early for me to see Christmas decorations. It's not even Halloween yet. At least wait until the end of November, before you put up all those decorations.
I remember when they only went up in November or right after Halloween.
@dodo19 (28097)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@ElusiveButterfly They still generally do that here. For the most part.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I went out shopping with my daughter today. Our first stop was the dollar store. One row was Halloween and the next row Christmas. They really need to focus on one holiday at a time. Wait until it's done before moving on to the next.
Not that you mention it, I do recall there was empty shelving at our Dollar Tree. They were probably getting ready to fill them with Christmas items.
@UncleJoe (8532)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
You should be thankful. If it wasn't for all those greedy retail merchants, Christmas could slip right by without most of the country noticing.
I truly doubt that would happen.
• Lakewood, Colorado
It is so very early for that..it is not even Halloween yet.
I don't fall into the buy buy buy thing. I stay within my budget no matter what. Putting out displays early doesn't make me want to buy more.
Totally absurd!
I agree Marlina!
@JustBhem (22430)
• Davao, Philippines
I heard Christmas songs already.
@sol_cee (13596)
• Japan
No Christmas medleys yet?
@velvet53 (15393)
• Palisade, Colorado
I agree with you. I was at a store that other day and they had Christmas decorations out. I asked them what happened to Halloween and Thanksgiving? Did I lose a lot of time somewhere.
Rush, rush, rush. We should try to slow it down a bit and enjoy each one.
@velvet53 (15393)
• Palisade, Colorado
@ElusiveButterfly That is the way I feel about it. Shucks, I haven't even started decorating for Halloween but a lot of the people around me have. It is still too early.
@velvet53 I have a pumpkin on our porch. I may get a few more things this weekend. Little Miss is fascinated with the decorations that are for sale.