WARNING - CCleaner Infected by Malware

Image by Pixabay.com
Switzerland
CCleaner is an application distributed by Avast to optimize the performance of the computer. The Security researchers from Cisco Talos have discovered the application has been hacked. A backdoor has been installed by hackers, to connect your computer to dubious site in order to download harmful applications. If you downloaded CCleaner from the 15th of August up to the 11th of September, stop immediately using it and download the most updated version. Also the Cloud version is affected. Do you installed or used CCleaner? For your security, be sure to check the site for the updated version.
This is the first time I am hearing of CCleaner - so I am safe.
Yes, you are safe, a lot of people use CCleaner, I used it in the past, but did not update from many months. I am glad I did not.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Kandae11, me, too. I am so thankful to @LadyDuck.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck Me, too not using it.
@topffer (29588)
• France
Nothing better than an anti/virus/malware or a firewall to install discretly some malware. The person who installed this backdoor could not do it without an access to the source code, and it seems incredible that nobody noticed 1/the intrusion 2/the changes in the source code. If I was Avast I would be worried. My Linux box uses quite only open source software.
I fully agree, I cannot believe that since the 15th of August nobody noticed that their software was accessing dubious sites. Avast was good until a few months ago, now I have doubts using it when I switch to my Windows partition. I also use open source software with Linux.
@topffer I use a firewall and I am very careful even allowing the printer over the home network. I am sure that someone inside Avast surely knew.
@Asylum (46348)
• Manchester, England
@topffer This is the main reason that many malicious programs are successful, too many users have no actual concept of how a computer works.
@vandana7 (56834)
No. But I am deeply concerned about Kaspersky. We have always used Kaspersky. Wonder if it is as safe as it was said to be.
I also used Kaspersky when I wanted to check my computer for viruses. I have read yesterday that the U.S. Senate has banned Kaspersky from government networks, they fear that they are a pawn of Kremlin and a possible security risk. I am seriously concerned.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck A pawn of the Kremlin. Yikes.
@TheHorse This is exactly what the newspaper said. A bit scary!
@poehere (17075)
• French Polynesia
Years ago Avast was so popular here in Tahiti because they offered a free antivirus. I had nothing but problems with this program and many viruses on client's computers. The antivirus also slowed down the operating speed of the computer and was just down right horrible. I have always removed this program off my client's computers. I always knew a long time ago this antivirus or one of the other programs created by this company would be hacked. Well, it has finally happened and I am glad I talked so many people out of using these programs and deleting them off of thier computers.
I still use Avast, but I also use a firewall, from another company. There are rumors also about Kaspersky.
@poehere (17075)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck I use to use KAV a long time ago. I even stopped using this one. I am on Windows 10 now and they have an excellent firewall and protection built in. I haven't had a single issue with any of my stuff ever.
@poehere I am using Linux and an old Windows 7, because I can have them both installed and boot from the one I want to use. My husband has a laptop with Windows 10 (that he hates), but he also uses Linux professionally.
@owlwings (37894)
• Cambridge, England
Thank you for the warning. I immediately checked the statement from Piriform and have downloaded and installed the latest version (5.4) which has been certified free of malware. As far as I recall, I hadn't updated it since the middle of August so, hopefully, I shall not have allowed it to send any data. The domain it purported to have been sending the data to has now been closed down, in any case, so hopefully, little damage has been done. CCleaner has been my cleanup tool of choice for years and I have always thought Piriform a very trustworthy company. They say that they do not yet know how the malware was introduced into their software.
I have also used CCleaner from many years and I am glad that I downloaded nothing during the month of August and September. I am surprised that this happened, because they are a serious company, but in our days people do everything for money, surely someone working in the company.
@owlwings (37894)
• Cambridge, England
@LadyDuck I think that it has to be someone with access to the source code and, most likely, someone they employed.
@owlwings It had to be someone inside their company, I also have read it was something changed in the source code.
@hereandthere (21966)
i'm familiar with it since i see it mentioned online a lot.
It's a very popular application, this is why I thought it was better to warn the users.
I do not have CCleaner installed. Whew!
I had an old version, but in the doubt I uninstalled it.
@bluesa (10772)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No, I haven't, Anna and thank goodness I didn't. Nothing can be trusted these days.
We can trust no one in our days. It's scary to know that a software that should clean your computer bring inside a virus.
@bluesa (10772)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@LadyDuck , yes, something that should protect instead destroying, very scary!
@bluesa It's very smart to use a well known software to install a malware, how people could imagine it was unsafe!
@thelme55 (10947)
We are using CCleaner but didn´t update. Thanks for the heads up.
Same here Thelma, I have CCleaner installed, but I did not update the program. We were both lucky.
@thelme55 (10947)
@LadyDuck yes, we are indeed.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Thank you so much for sharing what you have learned.It is so important to avoid future problem. I am not a user of that drive.
I had it, but never used it, I do not trust programs that mess up with the registry.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck That is nice, you are wise my friend.I had once my Facebook hacked and FB management helped me through sending the app of Kaspersky to restore my FB account and clean my laptop.
@cacay1 I have Kaspersky installed on a CD, so that I can scan my computer before launching Windows.
@ridingbet (34741)
i think this computer has the CCleaner, but i have not yet 'cleaned the computer. i will ask my son if the app is safe to run.
If you did not updated between the 15th of August through the 11th of September is safe to run.
@ridingbet (34741)
@LadyDuck thank you. i think it was uploaded by my son a few weeks ago.
@ridingbet IF he updated a few weeks ago this is the INFECTED version, only the update released a couple of days ago is safe. Tell him to update the new immediately.
@alberello75 (12078)
• Genova, Italy
Good advice. Once a time, I used CCleaner. But only at the "surface level". A computer lab store near my house told me that if we do not know how to use CCleaner properly, it could sometimes delete "vital" files and therefore compromise the correct functioning of the system
The store gave you the right suggestion. Those programs many times delete files that are important for other programs and then nothing works anymore. I uninstalled it.
@alberello75 (12078)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck I have made the same. I think a rìght decision
I don't have that application at all. I don't have an antivirus application on my computer.
Do you have at least a firewall? Nothing at all can be pretty dangerous.
@LadyDuck Nope don't have a firewall at all. In the 5 years that I've used my old MacBook pro I've never had a firewall or any sort of anti-virus. The same thing with my new MacBook Pro now. My son is still using my old MacBook Pro without any issue.
@toniganzon It's a matter of luck, you can go on for years without problem, until you open the wrong page.
I don't use that. My Apple products are so secure, they won't let me open most things. I do have an hp computer which is very safe and updates frequently. I hope you weren't affected!
CCleaner also exists for Apple and it is widely used by the Apple users.
@LadyDuck It definitely isn't used by me and after what you told me, never will.
@DianneN As my husband loved to program (as a hobby) for many years he has been a certified Apple developer. Many times we test programs, just to check if they do not modify the system or cause damages.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
I do have it on my computer but put it there much earlier than that. Does that mean I'm ok Anna? and it constantly asks me to update which I haven't done.
Yes, this means you are okay, because it's only the version released the past month of August that contains the malware.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck Oh cool that is a relief.,
@fishtiger58 I was very happy not to have downloaded that version.
I haven't used CCleaner.I used to use Avast,now I use domestic antivirus software.
I have used Avast from many years and until now it was a good antivirus, but I have a separate Firewall, two is better than one.
@LadyDuck I have used Avast,Kaspersky and Avira before,but now I just use a domestic antivirus,which works well so far.
@changjiangzhibin89 For the moment I still use Avast, I have read a warning about Kaspersky, so I will stop using it.
@Kosgey (1149)
Thanks for your concern.
I thought better to share what I knew, at least people can uninstall this program.
@Kosgey (1149)
@LadyDuck sure. You have saved many.
@Kosgey I am glad if I did.
@RubyHawk (20930)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Thank you for the warning.my better half takes care of those things but I'll let him know so he can check out those dates.
Let him know, even if he possibly already knows.
@RubyHawk (20930)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LadyDuck I did and it was a good thing I did. He downloaded the new one. thanks For letting us know.
@RubyHawk I am glad you told him, at least he can check for the most recent version, with the malware removed.
I've never used it. Thanks for the warning as I do have Avast.
I also have Avast and for the moment there are no problems announced for that program.
@LadyDuck I haven't seen any either, so they're keeping on top of things.
@just4him I trust Avast, has always been a serious program.
@tech40 (7989)
@LadyDuck I have CCleaner, but the CCleaner I have is an old version.. I guess it doesnt have malware.. I have this since year back ago, and never been updated
If it's old do not worry, it is safe. Sometimes it's better not to update.
@tech40 (7989)
@LadyDuck Haha thanks for this information I'm not aware on it.. Yeah! Old version are still better than updated one what will make your computer miserable haha!
@tech40 Look at Windows, the old versions were all a lot better than the actual one.