Yahoo Chat: I Still Miss It!

@Raelove (15102)
Saco, Maine
I'm not sure how many of you here might remember the old Yahoo chat rooms, but as I recall, they served as a lifeline for lots of lonely people, including myself. I discovered them in 2002 not long after losing two people very close to me to cancer. And as crude and impersonal as they were, they played a big role in saving me from what might otherwise have proven to be a much more difficult time. The chat groups were organized by state, with each state offering several different "rooms" for people to congregate in. Like during the CB (Citizens Band Radio) days, users created fake names, or handles, so they could remain anonymous. And like today's social network users, people knew about you only what you chose to reveal. Over time, companies and other individuals realized that the chat rooms could also be a vehicle for advertising, especially at the lower societal levels. What were known as Bots started popping up more and more, which were nothing more than fake identities plugged into a chat room and that could keep appearing automatically to display a message ad. That many of them were porn-related was no accident, as the Bot owners knew that some lonely people can be easy targets for just about anything sexual or worse. There eventually came a time when the Bots pretty much took over all the rooms, so Yahoo shut them all down. While there are still plenty of chat venues out there, I doubt that any of them has ever achieved the popularity that Yahoo's did. Imagine my surprise when I learned recently that one of my neighbors here had used those chat rooms back then, too! I happened to mention it in conversation one day, so we both got a good laugh out of that. And we both agreed that, despite the somewhat sordid reputation those chat rooms had, we'd both had a lot of fun there. Unlike today's social networking sites, most Yahoo chatters were complete strangers, getting up each day and greeting each other and then spending literally hours talking to everyone else in the "room." For some, it got pretty elaborate, and they even hosted Chat Parties at their homes. I never went that far with it, but preferred to keep it at the anonymous level. I have to wonder how many people I've come into contact in my life who might be old Yahoo Chat Room throwbacks. I suspect that, if I have run into any, they were probably not willing to admit it! Like anything else, it could be harmless fun or it could get out of hand very easily. Which is probably one of the reasons Yahoo shut it down: it didn't want to be responsible for helping society to collapse any further than it already had! (Public Domain Image)
• Lakewood, Colorado
Gosh I havenĀ“t thought about those chats for many years..I was never on that one but others.
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
Oh there were lots of them back then, but those seemed the easiest to use.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Raelove Yes there were lots for sure..my son was on that Yahoo chat for ever it seemed
I used to be in Yahoo! Chat. I even had their Messenger installed on my computer. But even though I liked the concept of the various chat rooms, I wasn't as chatty as I wanted to be. At some point, the Messenger was only used to play pool and chatting with my husband, then boyfriend at the time. After we got married, I stopped using Yahoo! completely.
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks for sharing that! Not sure where you are, but here in Maine, I believe we had 7 "rooms." But most seemed to congregate in just a couple and diss the others! Some things never change...LOL...I met a few people in person from those rooms, but of them all, only one was memorable enough to work at. And that's all I'm gonna say about that! I'd stopped using it at one point, then when I tried going back, learned they no longer existed. As I recall, we could talk publicly in the room or sneak out into a "private" room/box. I can't recall if I had Messenger then...
@Raelove I was in Cyprus. Never met someone offline from there, other than my husband, although we first met on Skype, although I did chat with various people about various subjects. But it was kinda cool to talk through Yahoo! and even MSN messenger. Lots of smilies and "buzzes" lol. Yes I remember the private boxes. I remember seeing all these funny usernames and wondering which one should I pick to chat with.
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
@thehousewife There were lots of less-then-upright people on there, too, as you well remember. You had to be careful who you spoke with and not to reveal too much.
@Tracy04 (10696)
I wonder where's yahoo chat went.
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
Nowhere. They shut down completely.
@Tracy04 (10696)
@Raelove a It was used to be good place to chat.
www.
There used to be a lot of chat rooms online. I am a old Yahoo Chat Room user. I wonder what the big reason was for shutting them down.
@JustBhem (20586)
• Davao, Philippines
Yahoo chat was fun. Before Facebook, there was Friendster where people exchange profile name and talk endlessly with Yahoo messenger. The boyfriend got addicted and tamed on the girl and left her cry. Lol
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
Ah, the good old chat days! LOL
@JustBhem (20586)
• Davao, Philippines
@Raelove Yes, it was fun.
@tech40 (7983)
@Raelove I missed this.. Yahoo chat.. the old way I used to communicate my high school friends and my teacher before.. urghh.. they're gone :(
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, they are. Been gone for awhile now..
@tech40 (7983)
@Raelove Yeah.. I really love memories that I have from Yahoo Chat..
I never used Yahoo chat rooms, but apparently those chat rooms were so beneficial to many.
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
I came upon them during a very rough period in my life, and I have to say that will always miss the sense of closeness I felt to some of those people, because we all lived in Maine.
@CinnamonGrl (5620)
• Paradise, California
When I first got online, I got hooked on a chatroom on msn. I was so sad when the rooms were dissolved. There used to be a group on yahoo where some of us would keep in touch, years ago. But now I have forgotten what the name of it even was. Probably couldn't even find it. But yes, the chatrooms were a great way to socialize if you were homebound.
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, they sure were. I wish Yahoo could have figured out a way to clean it up and keep it going. I suspect that other more popular chat venues were too powerful to compete with, though, like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
@peachpurple (9629)
I had never participated in Yahoo chat, I am used to Whatsapp though
I miss it too, 2005 - 2008, yahoo chat room is my playground like fighting with other people in chatroom, flooding the room other clans, booting yahoo id and freezing the microphone.
@Raelove (15102)
• Saco, Maine
I just chatted. You're probably one of the reasons it no longer exists.
@Raelove I just watched it in yahoo chat room in youtube, it really bring back memories