I missed the Earthquake!

Seems like we just had one an hour ago about 20 miles away. A 3.8 quake struck near Albion Illinois south of me at around 6:45 A.M. Central time. I'm seeing some people from Olney saying they felt it, but I didn't notice anything over the stereo playing, and since I have a suspended turntable, it didn't make the needle skip or anything. I believe there was one in the same area about a week ago...I missed it too. I miss all the fun.
USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, responsible for monitoring, reporting, and researching earthquakes and earthquake hazards
I would be bummed to miss it.
Count your blessings that you did not have it at your place.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Is it common for you guys to get earthquakes?
Sort of...that area is part of the Wabash Fault zone, there have been 4 in the past year
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@JolietJake I lived in Oregon for a long time and we had them but I don't think we had them that often . Have any if the ones there been big?
@thislittlepennyearns Biggest around here was a 5.4 9 years ago
@peachpurple (12770)
You are not afraid of the earth quake?
I live close to a fault line so I know they happen in this area, I've lived here all my life pretty much.
@m_audrey6788 (15331)
Oh..I don`t like the sound of having earthquake especially when you`re living in a old building
@thehousewife ..Hmmm.. I think so too but I got the chance to visit a customer living in an old building and I got so scared with the stairs because everytime I stepped in, I felt like it`s about to break
I have never experienced one before so I bet even a small one I would feel and it would scare me!
Really?? Wow..and one in LA too. Ruh oh. Yeah dont want to scratch the records.
I hung it to isolate it from acoustical feedback caused by the subwoofer vibrations when I really crank it up, but you can stand here and jump up and down as hard as you want without any problems whatsoever. Of course, a tornado knocking the house down would still make it skip.
@JolietJake That looks entirely stable and sturdy JJ!!
@yukimori (9072)
It seems like they're really easy to miss... we had one here several years back that was about the same magnitude, and I didn't feel a thing. There was one when I was a kid that I felt in Phoenix, though. It was in the middle of the night and the epicenter was somewhere in California. All I really remember is that the dog went nuts and I stood up and the ground was kind of gently rolling. Everyone else in the house thought I was imagining it until the morning news came on.
It appears smaller quakes are very common really
@yukimori (9072)
@JolietJake I was seeing that! We haven't had that many in AZ in the past year, but I was surprised by how many there are away from the major California/west coast fault lines. Then again, there have been quite a few stories recently about how much of an impact fracking is having on the quakes in places that historically haven't had to worry about those things...
@Srbageldog (8244)
There were a couple earthquakes in southern California this morning too. One of my friends is freaking out about it. We rarely feel them up here in northern California.
@ilocosboy (37411)
When 3 point something magnitude of earthquake happened in our places, so many drama posted in facebook that said "its not because I didn't feel the earthquake means I have no feelings (of love) at all. We call it hugot.
@jujunme (2441)
A magnitude 7.1 just hit Mexico ,42 people killed so far. it was awful to see. Buildings collapsing like domino's,the world is getting crazier and crazier every day, really frightening.
Yeah, saw that last week, bad thing. It didn't seem to make much in the news up here, I think too much about the hurricanes was going on.
Oh hell, you mean a new one, I just saw mention of it on facebook
@jujunme I'm seeing reports of up to 216 now, horrible
I always miss the mini-earthquakes here. Just once, I want to experience a little shake, rattle and roll. Just a little, mind you.
The one in 2008 woke me up...it was bouncing stuff all around the place
Earthquakes are in the headlines nowadays. Have you heard about the 7.1 in Mexico a couple of hours ago?
@Lucky15 (33698)
Ahmm, lucky you ;/
@YesWay (3447)
Glad you are safe - even if you did miss out lol
@BarBaraPrz (20763)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I remember the quake back in 2010 that centred in Quebec somewhere. It was about a 5. My friend and I were in Niagara Falls having lunch when it struck and she accused me of moving the table!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
No kidding I just recently got up so haven't heard. Wow.
@tech40 (9748)
I remember before that I'm at the office when the earthquake happened.. it's shaky inside after that I feel headache
The thought of an earthquake scares the heck out of me
Be happy you did not feel the earthquake, it means it was not too powerful. I am afraid of quakes.