Searching for beauty

Pleasant Hill, California
I think I spend much of my time searching for beauty. Beauty can mean a lot of things: a hug, a good conversation, a horse that trusts you, a face smiling at me with love, pretty flowers, a purring kitty, and even pretty wood grain. Much of the Bay Area is not that pretty, and many of the people here have a resting grumpy face. So I hike in the hills of Mt. Diablo, play with little kids who show love freely, and sometimes just stare at a pretty manzanita tree or the wood grain of my favorite guitars. The other day, I had just polished the back of my Collings OM-1, and then just sat there staring at it for a while, rotating it to see the wood in varying light. I realized at that moment that I am always searching for beauty. Where do you find beauty in your life? Do you sometimes just stop and savor it?
I feel happy when I can create beautiful things - some may not appear beautiful in the eyes of others - but they are beautiful to me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, I find beauty and satisfaction in creating. And it's largely in the doing, not just the end result.
@vandana7 (56868)
I like cleaning but am not allowed to do in my home..sigh. Dad loves clutter..sometimes it is so frustrating. Cleaning any day over cooking..lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
@vandana7 Nobody is allowed to organize here. I'd never find anything.
@vandana7 (56868)
I seek peace and quiet..though I do love kids. I get up go to the balcony stare outside at the tree. I uploaded its picture once...trees have a way to calm me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I like looking at a pretty tree as well. Or looking closely at the bark of a manzanita. It's really cool.
One of the sweetest and most beautiful sights for me is when our pup Molly is sound asleep on her bed. She can get into the most adorable positions when she is asleep.
@vandana7 (56868)
Yeah...that is something I too remember ..they are so alert ..the moment you get up they are up again..so funny..they are tired and they are not answerable, but still they get up. lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
Kids are the same. I love watching them sleep. And the positions they wind up in can be pretty amusing.
@singhisback (2258)
• Jalandhar, India
We need to find it. It's in our heart and in kids eyes and smiles
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, the face of a happy kid is a beautiful thing.
@nomus24g (15175)
why would you have to search for it...if its within you, then I guess automatically beauty will come to you...
• Pleasant Hill, California
Grumpy people and boring McMansions are not beautiful to me. But there's always a flower over here, or a dog needing a scratch behind the ears over there. It's the appreciation that comes from within.
I find beauty when my children learn something. Or when they hug, kiss and tell me they love me. I find beauty when going for nature walks. I love nature. Trees and birds etc. I find beauty when listening to a nice music. And lastly, when the house is finally clean!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Ah, making music. And listening to beautiful music. Yes! And that's a good one: when you realize a child has learned something. That's beauty.
• San Jose, California
Never underestimate the beauty of a clean house! I hope to discover it myself someday.
@spiderdust I clean mine as soon as I tuck them to bed, so I can at least enjoy a clean home for 5 minutes, before heading to bed myself. Of course, the next morning is in a bigger mess than before...
Those are wonderful places to find beauty. I love the beauty in that guitar. Beauty is everywhere, you just need to look for it, and then sometimes it's right in front of you in a beautiful sunset or sunrise.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sometimes I just sit down, even on a busy Berkeley street, and look for it.
@TheHorse I'm sure you could find a lot of beauty there.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@just4him Interestingly, I have to search sometimes. Or create it by starting a conversation with someone who didn't expect it.
I do when I'm mountain biking.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm sure you see and feel many pretty things. I'm taking a kid out hiking this afternoon. We'll probably see poison oak starting to turn red, and maybe a western fence lizard or two.
@TheHorse - Have fun on your hike.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@teamfreak16 It was good. We made it short. But we lay on a picnic table (me on top and my client on the right bench) and watched the sky.
@SHOHANA (7075)
• Bangladesh
I try to find beauty in nature and also in human nature.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Human nature varies so widely!
Stopping and savoring it is so nice. I find beauty outside my bedroom window. A big oak tree and the squirrels and birds. If I have the window open early in the morning I can hear the doves cooing. Very pretty indeed.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sounds great! Right now, all I hear is some electrical generator for some construction work going on right outside my window. Heh. I'm going to update an exam and then head out
@TheHorse .......It really is.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle I love the sound of doves.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
Gorgeous guitar, I have a very pretty split back Giaannini acoustic guitar Haven't played it in years however. I also have a Harmony Rocket electric guitar that my dad bought for me used when I was 13 that was in 1971
• Pleasant Hill, California
What would it take to get you to start playing again?
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
@TheHorse I don't know it's been decades.And I wasn't all that good to begin with.
@Lucky15 (33760)
Just a simple sight of a butterfly, i will stop and look at it :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Some savor. Some don't.
@Lucky15 (33760)
@TheHorse maybe those "some" has other definition of beauty:)
I see beauty in my furmily and in the natural world, buildings just aren't pretty to me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Some buildings are pretty to me. But I usually find beauty in nature.
Yeah, some are @TheHorse but then I think what kind of ecosystem was destroyed to build it, especially those overgrown buildings like museums or mansions where only 1 or 2 people live.
@jaiho2009 (39079)
Beauty depends on how we appreciate things. There is always a beauty in everything, no matter how ugly it looks in the eyes of the critics. Beauty is not all about the things that we can see and touch, but feelings has it too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What are some of the things that give you that sense of beauty?
@jaiho2009 (39079)
@TheHorse I always admire the sunrise and the sunset , my favorite subject in photography.
It is a good thing to find beauty all around us
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree. It makes any day more pleasant. But you have to allow yourself to savor it a bit. And to find it where some might not.
I see beauty in the eyes of children. They see the world has a great place.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They see a world of great possibilities.
@spiderdust (2501)
• San Jose, California
I enjoy being outdoors when I can. I like watching my flowers blooming on their bushes, or my ripening tomatoes. I like seeing my dogs sunning themselves in the yard. I like watching my little boy as he discovers new things.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Watching kids discover new things Is one of my favorites.
@FayeHazel (9378)
I love the search for beauty, as well. In shadows, in light, in repeating objects,... in everyday things
• Pleasant Hill, California
Beauty is everywhere if you look for it.
Clean vinyl. I had a box of about 90 albums given to me about 10 days ago. Going through playing them, I've come to the conclusion that whomever owned them previously should never have been let near an album. They're not scratched up, but filthy-dusty and coated in layers of fingerprints...audible fingerprints. I don't know what was on their fingers, but... Thankfully, since they aren't scratched, they are cleaning up really nicely and sounding really good. Yep...shiny black vinyl...it's beautiful.