Follow the Yellow Leaf Road

The homes in our subdivision, located in a Chicago suburb, were built in the 1980s. The streets of our subdivision are lined with some lovely trees. We have a lot of thornless honey locust trees in our subdivision. Thornless honey locust trees were most likely chosen by the developers due to the trees being easy to plant and fast-growing. The trees have fairly strong branches too. The trees make a big mess in fall, however. The small leaves of the thornless honey locust fly here, there and everywhere. We had pros cut down the thornless honey locust tree in our backyard due to the mess those leaves left on the patio and the accumulation of those leaves in the gutters. The thornless honey locust leaves also stick to a dog's fur and the bottom of a human's shoes and those stuck leaves.make their way indoors. We still have those thornless honey locust leaves on our property courtesy of the wind blowing them into our front yard, and on our driveway and sidewalks.. Instead of the Wizard of Oz's Yellow Brick Road, we have the Yellow Leaf Road here.
@1creekgirl (7438)
It might make a mess, but it sure is beautiful.
I was amazed at long that Yellow Leaf Road happened to be.
@Corbin5 We have a Gingo tree that has really pretty yellow leaves in the fall and that blow all over.
@kobesbuddy (11849)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, we have oak leaves, from a big tree in our neighbor's side yard. We clean up those leaves, almost all year long!:(
Our neighbor's oak tree makes for a lot of cleanup in our yard too.
@kobesbuddy (11849)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 We don't say anything, because our maples are pretty bad, too!
@responsiveme (13232)
Looks very nice and more. The mess is of course a downside but I love the flower petals making a carpet on the ground here too. Maybe this meets up with the yellow brick road somewhere and a little boy or girl from your neighbourhood will chance upon Dorothy.
Well, I hope there is something wonderful at the end of the Yellow Leaf Road.
@Corbin5 At the risk of sounding philosophical...I think there is , it is always there but we need to open our eyes
It is pretty to look at though. I have worst in the front yard a hickory nut tree, those things are like rocks falling from the sky!
Oh yes, the hickory nuts are like rocks. The squirrels are making a mess of the acorns on our neighbor's oak tree and the acorns make their way here too. They are noisy when they fall on the neighbor's deck.
@hereandthere (22035)
it's pretty, but if it sticks to dog fur and shoes, it's is bothersome. if it's breezy, i guess it could get into people's hair and clothes, too.
Oh yes, those leaves seem to stick to just about everything.
@spiderdust (2501)
• San Jose, California
I have Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in my head since you had the trees cut down, although the words in my head are actually more like "goodbye, yellow leaf road..."
Yes, soon it will be "Goodbye Yellow Leaf Road," when the street sweepers do their thing.
• San Jose, California
@Corbin5 I realize it's kind of messy, but I do miss the changing colors of the seasons. Maybe someday I'll live in a place with 4 seasons again. I didn't realize how much I'd miss it.
@spiderdust I have always lived in a Chicago suburb and I do love all 4 seasons.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
It's a great photo
The color of the leaves makes for a pretty sight.
@alberello75 (12093)
• Genova, Italy
Trees with the years, have a trunk development. So I imagine that, these trees on your street, after nearly 40 years, are very large-trunk There is a saying: "The trees are weird, they undressing, when it's cold!" I'm right?
Yes, they need to keep their leaves to stay warm in winter!!
@alberello75 (12093)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 More or less you can count how many trees are present near do you live?
@alberello75 I have never counted them. Far too many too count.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Though they are a nuisance, it surely is beautiful Deobrah. What a lovely photo! I know the type of leaf you mean..the little fellows.
Molly brings a lot of those leaves into the house since they stick to her fur. She becomes quite a colorful pup.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 Yes like one of those fancy fake fur thingies the stars wear lol
@bunnybon7 (31654)
• Holiday, Florida
does sound pretty even if it is a nuisance. i imagine too much work.
The street sweeper will clean the leaves from the streets, but the maple leaves that fall in our front yard are a mess that takes forever to clean up.
That is a long path of yellow leaves in your gutter. Thankfully we don't have many trees surrounding our homes so we don't have to deal with all that Fall leaf cleanup. Even though it's pretty to watch the leaves change color it's a big pain when you have to rake them when they fall.
The street sweepers will come along and take care of the leaves in the photo, but we still have a lot of raking to do in fall.
@jaiho2009 (39079)
That really looks nice to see my dear ,but reading your post that lovely yellow leaf road causes troubles (oh uh)
Yes, it can get kind of messy with all those leaves, but street sweepers take care of them eventually.
@singhisback (2258)
• Jalandhar, India
It looks so lovely and good
Very colorful leaves do brighten up the area.
@KristenH (19064)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Ick. Shame on them. Hope they can clean up that leafy mess.
Yes, the street sweepers will come by and take care of them, sooner or later.
@KristenH (19064)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 That's good to know.
@alberello75 (12093)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 The street sweepers, also pass under my house in the evening. They disturb me while watching TV!
@FayeHazel (9377)
Pretty! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea about these trees
Our former neighborhood did not have these trees, and we were a bit surprised at how those leaves just blow all over the place.
@FayeHazel (9377)
@Corbin5 It's always something, when you move to a new area. :-)
@bluesa (10788)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh my, that looks pretty, but yes, it must be a pain trying to keep it out of your house! I am now hearing Elton John...yellow brick road...or were you thinking wizard of oz?
Yes, when I saw that yellow road, the Wizard of Oz came to mind.
@bluesa (10788)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 that was such a wonderful movie, I loved her ruby slippers.
@bluesa Me too. I remember our son, when he was little, cried when Dorothy wanted to go home. My brother was scared of the flying monkeys when he was little.
@gilggg (2638)
• Israel
It looks so colorful and picturesque and wonderfully beautiful, but I understand from you that it is also impossible to control its bulk. I guess you should sweep or rake it ...
Well, they do have trucks that will sweep the streets of the leaves, but any leaves in our yards, we will have to rake. The color really is pretty, though.
@gilggg (2638)
• Israel
@RubyHawk (20995)
• Atlanta, Georgia
The yellow leaves are pretty lying on the ground. I don't know If I've ever seen a honeylocust.
I do not like the honey locust since it has too many spaces between branches. Not much shade from a honey locust.
@RubyHawk (20995)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 I like water oaks and maples for good shade,
@RubyHawk Yes, we have a maple in the front yard that offers such nice shade.
@YesWay (3158)
Yellow leaf road haha. I like that!!
I followed it, and at the end, just another road. I was hoping for a prize!!!
@YesWay (3158)
@Corbin5 No emerald city either? Man, it's not like in the movies
@YesWay I went to the end of the Yellow Leaf Road and no Emerald City!!!
@YrNemo (5951)
Look very pretty in the photo... I will have to go wiki more about that tree. Sounds a nuisance to dogs and residents.
It is a nuisance tree. The branches of those trees really are not that strong and big winds cause the little limbs to break off.
@YrNemo (5951)
@Corbin5 Anyone complained to the people in charge there about those trees? Our local council often comes remove certain type of tree if there are too many people complain about them.
@YrNemo I do not think they have had complaints. The do regular tree trimming here, but the trees lining the streets must stay, unless it is a diseased tree.