Storm warnings: Do you listen?

Photo of water by Pat Z Anthony
@PatZAnthony (12793)
Charlotte, North Carolina
So sad to say that many don't listen when they are told to stay home, stay off the roads, etc. when storms are flooding certain areas. First responders are usually busy enough without having to deal with those who won't listen when the roads are flooded or just disappear because of stormwater. Most we know just stay home unless they are a first responder. Somehow though, we all hear a story or two about a few people wandering around in the water going nowhere in particular.
@jobelbojel (7350)
I remember a forecast that only said storm signal 1. I did not monitor the weather forecast because the electricity went off. Went we woke up the next morning, my uncle's concrete house was devastated.
@Jackalyn (6654)
• Oxford, England
That is awful. Was he rehoused. This must have been a really devestating experience for your family.
@PainsOnSlate (20341)
We don't have flooding where I live but we have nasty winters and when the news says its going to be bad, we stay home.
@PatZAnthony (12793)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That is what we try to do too @PainsOnSlate It just makes the most sense to us these days.
@bluesa (13580)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
True, you always get those who won't listen and put themselves and others in danger. I definitely listen to storm warnings, too many here have been struck by lightning when ignoring warnings.
@PatZAnthony (12793)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Paying attention to the warnings have helped us many times @bluesa
Yes we do pay attention to the weather alerts. We get them on our phones.
@PatZAnthony (12793)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is so important to pay attention, but some just don't @Susan2015
@1hopefulman (30271)
When people don't heed warnings they harm themselves and also other people and waste money for many of us.
I do listen to storm warnings..on text, email and phone call..Code Red calls me.
I always check the weather alerts, we do not have hurricanes or tornadoes here, but when they announce heavy snow we stay home.
In Australia, we always get a few rubber-neckers when there is an emergency. They really do get in the way of rescue work and I imagine in flood times can even end up needing rescue themselves.
I listen but I know many people who will not stay home and they go right out on bad streets just to see if the roads are really bad. . It does make you wonder what is wrong with people.
@singhisback (2174)
• Jalandhar, India
I think we all should follow the alerts and it's ideal as well
Yes I listen, like you said no need to add to what they had to deal with already.
i do to a degree-they often blow things WAY out of proportion on the news up here. an inch of snow is a world ending event anymore..
@quantum2020 (9553)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Some donĀ“t listen to weather warnings. We only can hope the storm is not a heavy one and that it stopd soon without harming people
@Shellyann36 (10965)
I always listen to the forecast and heed the warnings. I have been through enough hurricanes that I know the drill. Some people are just too fearless or too dumb... I don't know which it is?
@YrNemo (13454)
I have heard cases in which fathers taking their children to dangerous areas intentionally to hurt the suffering mothers. (I always check the news the moment I feel something is wrong with the weather!)
@Jackalyn (6654)
• Oxford, England
I think there is an "it won't happen to me" mentality people have. After I got injured years ago when a car door swung back on me during a severe storm I have always been very careful. We haven't had hurricanes here like elsewhere, but if there is a warning I stay close to home.