Going farther by bus than I ever though possible!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
On Wednesday morning I had an injection at 9am as I do every two weeks. This time it was different and will be different in the future. I had my case manager, Susan, drive me, and then I took the bus home alone. It was not just the usual bus trip to the library I am taking a bus to a new town, and I have a walk across a major extremely BUSY highway. This time Susan showed me how to cross Route 65 to the bus stop, I have to stop traffic by pressing a walk button. The red hand on the signal that looks like it is saying don't walk then will then will turn into a walk signal and then starts blinking with how many seconds left before the cars start going again. The first time we went across twice. I had called right our station, and the lady told me that I could catch it 37 minutes after the hour, but the bus schedule said there was no 9:37 bus ao we walked across and waited for until9:50 then went to the lobby of my doctor's office ad it didn't show up and waited for the 10;37 bus home. She told me i did so well I asked her if I could go to my therapist by bus, so she said yes, and we went back up to my psychiatrist's office where i get my injection and made an appointment with my therapist. Then we had to cross the major highway again this time Susan says I would lead across the street and she would follow and tell me if I did something wrong. I did superbly, and she got me on the bus, and i rode home and went home. On Monday i will go to my therapist by bus then i will go to my injections and doctor's offices as all are in the same area. Susan said i had mastered the bus system! i am so happy as i will no longer need to get a ride with my uncle Bill to therapy and either Uncle Bill or Susan to take me to my injection!! i am very happy about that starting to feel very happy and thrilled with my new freedom lifestyle! Did you ever have a change in lifestyle that you just loved the change? Do you remember the first time you ever went far from your home by yourself and did you love it and feel free because of that trip?
This is fabulous to hear Jennifer! You are well on your way now to more freedom and a rewarding feeling of being independent. Yes, I have had this feeling and hope to have more of it soon tomorrow..some goal I have been working on. I am so very proud of you friend!! Thanks for sharing with us your new life, you have come a long way!!
An excellent response! it touched my heart. i hope you achieve your goal tomorrow. I would never even have guessed I would take the bus anywhere and certainly not myself and so far onto the big highway like i am going to do myself now on Monday!
@Marty1 So exciting..it is great to be able to go places Jennifer..I love getting the bus and train here.
@TiarasOceanView I adore catching and riding the bus! I never went by train as I do not think we have one near me that take passengers but do have cargo trains right behind to the road I am crossing to go to my therapist Monday
I am so happy for you! And proud of you
Thank you!! I never thought I would be able to go that far on my own! i always imagined that highway was impossible to cross but learned differently yesterday. There is no stopping me now!
@Marty1 always try before you start thinking you cant.
@Courtlynn Good advice, very wise my friend! I think I can do it to my therapist Monday as i thought about it and I only have to cross that highway once as I get left off to arrive in the parking lot right in front of the building, then just have to walk the across it to the door not far away! My therapist is going to be thrilled as I don't need Uncle Bill to drive me anymore !!! she was thrilled beyond thrill when I went both ways with Susan she will love i came alone!
That is great that you are learning how to get around by yourself. I've always been pretty independent and "free-roaming" ever since I got my drivers license at the age of 17.
Never had the chance to be able to be "free roaming" as my parents kept a too tight leash around me. I have no desire to have a drivers license, as it would bring back my anxiety if I tried. The idea of driving myself terrifies me but do love to go places by myself and to enjoy the midlife freedom I am suddenly experiencing!!! i am now going to be going out by myself frequently in the future! Give your cats and bird my love
@Marty1 It must feel so wonderful to now have these milestones each week.
@NJChicaa I could not possibly explain how great these milestones make me feel!
That was how I felt recently going to the store on my own. Now that I am not in pain I can leave the house alone.
This made my night that you can now go out alone and not be in pain! Do you find yourself going out more often on your own to do things you have not done in a long time or to try new things since you can do it on your own term of when you go and what you can do without having to consider others?
yes,My injection.Which I did not need them.
I wish i didn't need my injection, but it is essential for my mental health to get it as it is an antipsychotic injection. Nurses Elena and Patty, the two nurses in charge to give it to me, says it might eventually be moved up to once a month. But I saw the doctor in late August, and he said we would keep it as it for the time being as i have had no problems with it. Have a great rest of the day!
@Marty1 Mine is every week to keep alive.
@amadeo am so sorry; I had no idea. I hope you are getting better Mine keeps me sane if you can call me that lol! Seriously i am sorry you have to do that weely. But as long as you are alive it means you are here, and that is a good thing for all of your fellow my lotters who see you like I see you a very special man have a nice evening
Being independent is such a wonderful thing, my friend!! So proud of you!!! Driving on those busy expressways scared me at first, but after a while, I got the hand of it.
I get frightened very easily, so I didn't think I would cross a street like that! I decided to try it once and discovered I could easily do it again! And am going to try and do it for all doctor's appointments! There is no stopping me now! Watch out big world Jennifer is going to be out and about now!
Well good for you. Glad you can take buses now where you need to go. I have always found that I prefer getting to know a route that I have to take often and always take the same bus and same everything. That way I feel safer than doing something completely new when I don't know how it will work out.
My sister told me I stick to one time when I go to a certain place the driver will get to know me and the passengers might get to know me as well, and I might make a friend! I recognized the driver yesterday who is a sweetheart when she took me home. She took me to the library once a few weeks ago and was very nice both times!
I am extremely proud of your efforts to find freedom!
Blushing Thank you so much! There is no stopping me anytime in the near future!
@Marty1 Go for it!
@marlina I am going to do exactly that! Watch out world here I come! Hopefully soon with a cat in arms as I am going to try and adopt a cat from a shelter today!! I am all excited!
@kobesbuddy (55719)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Oh, yes! This brings back good memories, the first time I walked to town, by myself!
Was this before you were married or later in life? How old were you when you accomplished this? Good for you doing that! was Jay proud of you that first time? I know I am proud of you!
@kobesbuddy (55719)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marty1 When I was about twelve years old, I walked to town alone. But, coming home I ran, because I started to panic.
@kobesbuddy That was a still a great accomplishment!
@RubyHawk (29546)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Jennifer, I'm so happy for you. Now you can go anytime you please and all by yourself. Keep up the good work, you're flying. I can imagine how good you feel.
I do feel great! i am going to be ab;e to take the bus to the dollar tree and Goodwill for books as they are my two favorite places to buy books! I have not been to the Goodwill in about ten years but did get to go once, and the selection and price are great for their books!!
@RubyHawk (29546)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Marty1 Goodwill is the b est place to buy books. They look clean and new and the price is right. I'm lucky to have a Goodwill and Dollar Tree near us.
@RubyHawk Do you ever buy books at the Dollar Tree? I have two near me. I can get a bus to either one and plan on it. There is one Goodwill in my county, but I have to take a big bus ride but I can do it and will go someday! Big time at the GoodWill as they remodeled, so I am sure it will be even better. What are you reading now? I am reading a book again that I read the first time many years ago as part of a series I read. I don't remember the book's plot, so I am reading a good book like it is the newest published. It is Sticks & Scones by Diane Mott Davidson. It is a great book so far. It is a Culinary mystery, my favorite type of mystery, and it involves a caterer.
@ridingbet (59680)
no, i have not yet been into a situation like yours, but i am just contented with my lifestyle now.
I think you have every reason to be content You are a great nurse and have an accomplished career teaching. I know it might not seem possible, but there are many things about me I do not share that I have spent a lot of my life seeing and experiencing things i would not wish on an enemy but finally, have been having a lot better time lately which is why i love my new lifestyle
@ridingbet (59680)
@Marty1 i wish you the best, my friend. enjoy your life now, and have a happy weekend as well.
@ridingbet thank you! I have been having a great weekend as i got to adopt my kitten a black male named Onyx! He is a delightful kitten!
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I am so happy for you, congratulations! I took the bus to school when I was very young and thought it was a great adventure. Enjoy all your bus rides and the extra freedom. :)
Was your bus ride to school on a school bus? I was able to go on one of those I don't remember if I thought if it as an adventure. I know I consider the ride both ways I am taking myself a huge adventure!
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Marty1 yes, it was a school bus and it was an adventure to me. I am happy you're enjoying your bus adventure. :)
@bluesa I had an adventure n a school bus going far to my high school as I went to a Caholic highschool that was in another county and across a bridge
@Kind4321 (850)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I am happy for you Jennifer in your new attained freedom I am sure things will get better and better. For the longest time i was unable to go to the countryside by myself and i always had to look for people to accompany me.Then one day i was determined and i got to learn and took myself there.I was really happy about the achievement and i have never looked back.
That is wonderful you were able to do that! Thank you for sharing this It makes me happy!
@Kind4321 (850)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Marty1 More and more happiness to you!
@Kind4321 thank you for the kind words! I appreciate them!!
@Ganma7 (2828)
Good for you. I give you allot of credit for doing what you did. You should be proud
I don't usually tell anyone, but I AM proud of myself as I never thought I would be to cross that road without being run over by the many, many trucks that each look a block long. But I did it, and it feels good!
@Ganma7 (2828)
@Marty1 You did it! Ya
@Ganma7 I never would have imagined doing this even last month, so it is an even more thrilling event for me!
@sallypup (28631)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Your progress makes me smile. I do think you are a very brave person. Way to go. Nothing can hold you back.
That is right there is no stopping me now! I had a taste of freedom, and I love it! I do it more out of excitement with a little bravery. I have good people teaching me to be independent like my case manager Susan whe n we started he bus odyssey she got on with me and taught me how to do it! Between her, my sister, my peer counselor, my therapist and my psychiatrist I have a ton of support and I am forever grateful
@sallypup (28631)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Marty1 This is the way it should be: people holding another one up and then letting go when its time. A beautiful thing. Precious. I'm so glad for you.
@sallypup Yes, i agree! My case manager says if she does her job well enough she will be working herself out of a client as they will have accomplished all their goals!
What is your injection for? That's quite an accomplishment to use public transportation so well. That would overwhelm me. I remember driving to Dallas (I live in Oklahoma City) by myself once and was really proud that I did. Those were the days I had to print directions from Mapquest.
It is for an antipsychotic, and when I was in the hospital my psychiatrist, case manager and sister decided i had to take too many pills to get the dose i need, so they stopped pills and get it in an injection
@Marty1 Oh. Do you prefer the injection rather than the pills?
@AmbiePam It is much easier in the injection form as I just go every two weeks and get the medicine and then I don't have to think about it again for another two weeks. With the pills to get the amount, I would need I had to take 6 of them a day. Now I take only one type of pill for mental health but do take quite a bit of heart meds so I am not without a lot of meds
What terrific news to hear! I am so very proud of you and how far you've come. You are truly independent now!!!! Giant hugs to you.
The giant hugs felt great! I never thought i would be going to another town by bus by myself! I think I have come kind of far. too!! Life has turned out fantastic for me! Jennifer and her new kitten Onyx are taking the world by strom as a pair!
Way to go! I am glad you are getting more and more independent. Yes I remember driving very far alone and it was thrilling.
Thank you! I am getting too independent! I may be out of control soon! Lol! Jennifer tackles the world and independence!
That is fantastic! I remember awhile back when I learned to cut the grass with the riding lawn mower. It was a new skill for me, and it was fun to master it!
Good for you! Did you ever do it with a push mower? or did you start out on a riding mower? I am so proud of you! I still have not mastered any type of lawn mowing as I have a guy who comes who is very good to me. He insists on trimming all the bushes in my yard and refuses to be paid for it!~He also cleans the yard and won't take more money as we just hired him to cut grass!
How nice to feel this new independence. I'm happy for you.
Thank you! Yes, it feels great with this new independence!