WHAT KIND OF FUTURE?

Pixabay image.
How prepared are we to face whatever we are dealt with in the very near future and beyond? We hear of wars and rumors of wars, earthquakes, monster hurricanes - which may soon reach the level of category 6 - and don't forget the threat of man made disasters. I am thinking of our children, grand children and future generations - how will they cope in the face of a disaster which takes away all of the amenities which they presently enjoy?. Perhaps survival training should be a priority in schools - back to the basics. What do you think? After the passage of dangerous hurricane Maria through Dominica - there was no communication with the devastated island. It was only through Amateur radio (ham radio) which needs no internet or cellphones to work - that bits of information managed to filter out. Ham radio had its origins in the late 19th to early 20th century.
There is still Ham radio operators here too. I do not think the next generation will make it without cell phones and hamburgers, they have no idea what vegetables are much less how to grow them, and to kill their food, cows etc.? That is out of the question. When talking about end times, the end of man, its on its way. As you know I am going back to the old ways, have been for years now.. but I feel I am middle age, most 20 year old`s roll there eyes at me, looks at the phone and walk down to the fast food joints.
From reading your posts I know you are well prepared. I can prepare a meal on a coal pot if necessary and I can work by candlelight. I am wondering if Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts organizations are still around and if they are utilized as much as they were years ago.
@Kandae11 Yes they are still around here, they sell cookie and popcorn. That is how I see them around town.
@Kandae11 Boy and Girl Scouts still exist.
@1hopefulman (30211)
As we see all the disasters that happen, it becomes harder and harder to be prepared for what might happen. We can look after our health and stay in shape in case we have to run. Have some food and water in case we can't get out of our house. Stay close to God at all times and in all circumstances.
In Dominica hurricane Maria blew away some of the food that was stored by the residents and the flood waters washed away the rest.
@1hopefulman (30211)
@Kandae11 "As we see all the disasters that happen, it becomes harder and harder to be prepared for what might happen." That was my point! We prepare as it is wise to prepare but when the disaster hits, in some cases, all our preparations might be of no help. Let's say I have a lot of things at home in case of this or in case of that. However, I might not be able to go home in a certain situation as it is wiser to get out of town quickly. The only preparation that will be useful in all situations and events is the close relationship we have with God.
@1hopefulman I second that.
• Preston, England
I got to use ham and crystal radio sets at a museum exhibition once - very interesting and useful
Really! Imagine I have never seen one up close.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 impressed by the clarity of a crytal radio set - even digital radios don't sound so sharp
@vandana7 (66120)
That and morse codes could help..sometimes I feel delighted that I haven't any kids.
One of the main reasons why I have only one.
@vandana7 (66120)
@Kandae11 .. I keep wondering how people distribute their time thinking about so many kids worrying about one thing about one kid, another thing about another kid. lol. Nope. I am happy with my status. I do understand though that having one or two kids is ok. Having six or seven...that is utter lack of consideration for the children's future. Can't be motherhood.
@vandana7 Since I was a young woman I had decided that it would be best to adopt those already here who are orphans instead of having 6, 7, or 8 of my own. And that adoption plan would materialise only if I am a very well off person and can give them all they need - education, love, care and attention. As it turned out, I had the time and the means only for my son.
@acelawrites (11804)
It is really back to the basics like having a transistor radio on dry cell batteries. And we could be lucky if we survive those disasters and live even through crude means.
That is why preparation and training will be necessary so that we are not caught off guard.
@acelawrites (11804)
@Kandae11 I agree!
I think in areas that often have to contend with disasters, survival training should be part of the school curriculum.
I know schools and places of business have regular earthquake drills - but I don't think that is enough. Knowing how to survive after a serious disaster is of great importance.
I think it is always good not to lose sight of some of the old technologies. You never know when they might come in handy.
You are so right.
@YrNemo (13412)
time to go back to Morse code!
Cooking on a woodfire, bathing and washing in streams, catching wild animals for food -- I certainly hope not.
@YrNemo (13412)
@Kandae11 When one needs to survive, one will do that readily. (been there done that so I know, shocking but now that I look back, it was sort of fun! re; everything you mentioned there - ah, except the catching wild animal for food!)
@YrNemo I am a vegetarian so I would have to hope there are a few fruit trees around.
@ilocosboy (34405)
These are real life nightmares
They certainly are. I know you have experienced typhoons in your home country.
@ilocosboy (34405)
@Kandae11 yearly we have 20 or more typhoons.
@ilocosboy We had a break from El Nino from 2013 to 2015 - but it returned with a vengeance in 2016 - remembering hurricane Matthew . And this year has been awful with two months left to go in the hurricane season.
@FayeHazel (18491)
I think that survival training is a great idea! Hopefully not needed. But a great idea.
Right now it is needed in Dominica. Maria's victims have no lights, no water and little food . Whatever was stored is water logged or washed away. I heard that during the storm, when roofs were blown away, some took refuge in kitchen cupboards, closets, bathrooms and even a refrigerator.!
@FayeHazel (18491)
@Kandae11 How sad. Tragic really. I complain about living in a place with harsh winter, but such complaints seem self centered now.
• Calgary, Alberta
The cost of living might be more expensive but these places can guarantee safety for your descendants for generations. Move to any of these States:
If mass shootings, natural disasters and other threats have you concerned for your safety, consider living in New England, home to the top six safest states in America, said WalletHub.
Very interesting - but that's in the United States. I am talking about the safety of everyone world wide. Natural disaster or man made everywhere can be vulnerable to something.
• Calgary, Alberta
@Kandae11 The safest country in the world at this moment would be Uruguay and Finland. on the other hand having a survival training is important so your children will be prepared for the worst case scenario. Kids musty have Martial arts training so they can defend them selves. They also need to learn homesteading to grow their own food. Hunting and foraging are also important skills.
@CaptAlbertWhisker Glad you agree - survival training is important.
@porwest (6015)
You can only take one day at a time, be thankful for the time you have, hope it all goes well, but always expect that something can and may go wrong. I think it is better to be hopeful than worrisome.
Best to be hopeful but also prepared for eventualities.
@porwest (6015)
@Kandae11 Like the old saying goes. Hope for the best, expect the worst.
@wongchoiyee (7376)
Be near to God is all I can do.
Good advice.
@Lucky15 (33751)
With being hit by typhoon, the government had somehow had this training every now and then for any disasters.
Its the aftermath that concerns me as well.
@cacay1 (33002)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
It was corrected, it was not category 6, but 5.All we have to do is help our mother earth regain its strength. What we suffer this time is caused by Climate Change. We must also be stronger in our faith to God.
I know it was not a category 6 - but forecasters say that storms will be getting even stronger and will soon reach that level. At one point Irma was over a cat 5 - but not quite 6 - it is only a matter of time until that happens.
@Shiva49 (13408)
We should realize united we stand, divided we fall. Now few are out to prove their points and can lead the rest too to Armageddon. It is an irony we do not progress on the very basics as greed and ego decide our future - siva
The realization will come soon enough that a divided house cannot stand.
@KrauseHome (35320)
As a Christian this is starting to shed a lot of light on things that have always been predicted in the Book of Revelations. It is a time to get ready and stay ready. Things everywhere continue to get a little Scary and all we can do is Pray.
It is like prophecy being fulfilled.
I think that is an excellent idea actually, as we will probably be getting more storms in the coming decades and not less.
Stronger ones as well.
@jobelbojel (7347)
I think of the younger generations too. I have survived the 1990 7.9 magnitude earthquake, survived multiple floodings and typhoons. We lived without electricity when typhoons hit. I second Felix thoughts move closer to God. As we move closer, we deepen our personal relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.
You have been through a lot. I have experienced only hurricanes so far. However what is scary is that the hurricanes are becoming stronger. Our house which withstood Sandy in 2012 may not stand up to a cat 5 or 6 hurricane. I started moving closer to God five years ago.
@sol_cee (15917)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Sad to say but I think only the toughest will survive.
You got that right.