Britain’s latest plastic banknote

Old and new banknotes
@Asylum (47268)
Manchester, England
The British banknotes are gradually being replaced by a plastic based version designed to last longer. The new £5 issue was released some time ago and now we have a new £10 note. Yesterday I encountered my first example of this new note when I withdrew cash from the ATM. My first impression was how much this reminded me of the old 10 shilling notes, which were withdrawn from circulation back in 1970. On arrival home I immediately dug out an old 10 shilling note to compare, which confirmed my first impression. These new notes are a very similar size, also similar in design and colour. Many people today would be unfamiliar with the old notes since they were withdrawn almost 50 years ago, but to me the resemblance was clear. This is almost nostalgic. You can clearly see by the 2 notes scanned side by side just how closely they resemble each other. I wonder how many other old fools have noticed this similarity.
• Denmark
How do plastic banknotes feel when you touch them? Much different from paper?
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
Yes, they are much more of a gloss finish. Of course the old notes were not paper but a linen based material.
• Denmark
@Asylum Can you fold the plastic banknotes?
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@MALUSE Oh yes, they are just as practical as the previous ones. If they were rigid then they would not really be practical.
Kool, I have never seen either one of these anywhere. Are these plastic notes very thin?
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
They appear to be, although I cannot truly guarantee that. It makes sense for you not to have seen either before because the 10 pound note is new and the 10 shillings was withdrawn almost 50 years ago
Plus there aren't very many Brits in this part of the USA @Asylum Now I'm wondering if the US will ever create a plastic note, it would make sense to me if they did since counter fitting paper money seems way too easy.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann It is more a case of producing a banknote with a longer lifespan, so I expect the USA to change over at some point.
I still have a couple of old 10 shilling notes, you are right that they are very similar. Your notes look a lot better than the new Swiss notes, they look like Monopoly money.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
This applies to many banknotes these days. I mentioned the similarly to my brother at the time, but he did not seem convinced until I produced an old 19 shilling note.
@Asylum I am so happy when I can prove what I am saying, my husband has the habit to contradict and you know that women do not like to be contradicted.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck This is true, despite the fact that women are usually wrong.
They do have a similar look about them.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
Enough for me to realise the similarly at first sight.
@Asylum There is a difference, which is good.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@just4him Clearly, otherwise it would present a problem.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Plastic? This is the first I had heard of this @Asylum. I have some of the old currency still English and Irish. Coins.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
The Isle of Man introduced plastic £1 notes decades ago but soon discontinued them. Now they are a better quality and likely to last well.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum Do you like them?
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView Yes, they are a very decent material and design.
@vandana7 (57495)
I had better start collecting British currency...lol
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
This would be a very expensive hobby.
@vandana7 (57495)
@Asylum I do have 1 pound note..from 1965 I think. lol But I want one from before that..lol
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@vandana7 1965 would be signed by J Q Hollom.
@Mike197602 (13518)
• Worcester, England
I had my first one yesterday too in change from a pub I went to. I like it very much apart form the it being plastic part...good idea to have braille on it too. I do like the design of the back and am pleased they put jane austen on it.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
Interesting to note that the image you have used has SPECIMEN printed on it. When I tried to scan the banknote into Photoshop I got an error message that the software did not support the editting of banknotes.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@Mike197602 What a great use for a banknote. Maybe they should change the currency from pounds into pints.
@Mike197602 (13518)
• Worcester, England
@Asylum it was a good use of the note as I seem to be developing a social life after a decade of not having one
@garymarsh6 (12094)
It takes an old fool to recognise another old fool! I too remember them although I have yet to come across a new £10 note. Remember next month the pound coin goes out of circulation too! So get spending!
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
I have managed to exchange all my old pound coins now.
@garymarsh6 (12094)
@Asylum Well done. I smashed my Terramundi pot and had £360 in it. I was quite surprised and thrilled.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 I had around £120 in a whisky bottle. After managing to exchange them I donated the £100 to my neighbour who was trying to buy a mobility scooter, which he now has.
A 10 pound note? How heavy is that in kilograms?
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
About four and a half kilograms. Since this is originally based on the old Roman Libra, which was one pound weight of silver, we have clearly had a lot of inflation over the past few thousand years.
@Asylum I think our pennies are made from zinc these days, they sound like plastic when you drop them on a surface
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake Another sign of the times. A penny was originally made from silver, then inflation changed them to copper, followed by bronze and now cheaper materials.
@singhisback (2255)
• Jalandhar, India
We still don't have plastic notes here
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
I assume that they will be changed into plastic in due course.
• Jalandhar, India
@Asylum Yeah may be in few years ?
• Eugene, Oregon
Truly very similar. Those younger than you are will never know.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
True, many British have never seen a ten shilling note.
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
They would be sticking to all the fences in SA like the rest of the plastic = thats where our plastic gathers - Jist some fun sharing. I remember my dad finding a wad of pounds that were 10 cm long and 6cm wide - grey blue in colour and because SA had moved over to their own currency - they were worth more, so It was a great cash stash. The rand was introduced in the then Union of South Africa on 14 February 1961
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
I imagine that many old banknotes have turned up after the date of withdrawal.
Two notes are indeed similar in colour and layout.What surprises me is that you still keep the old 10 shilling notes that were out of circulation 40 odd years ago.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
It is just a note that I had left over, so I kept it as a reminder of the old days.
Certainly the notes are quite similar. We have had plastic-type notes for years.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
They were used in the Isle of Man a very long time ago, but withdrawn shortly after. Obviously the actual material must be quite different now.
• Preston, England
and still depicting the queen looking youthful rather than her actual present age too
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
Very true, at least they depicted Victoria as an old woman.
@Shiva49 (9644)
We have had plastic based notes for a while here. You have a sharp memory to see the similarity with the old shilling note - siva
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
I used to have a great interest in banknotes when I was younger.
@kepweng (6388)
is british pounds is gone now and the new currency is pence sterling ?
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
No, our currency has always been Pounds sterling, but the content of a Pound has changed. We originally used LSD, which was based on the currency of the Roman Empire. There were 12 pence to a shilling and 20 shillings to a Pound. In 1971 we introduced a decimal system of 100 New Pence to a Pound.
I assume they are very thin like the paper notes. They do look similar except one is more colorful than the other.
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
Very true, but they are close enough for me to be reminded of the older note at first sight.
Very similar indeed!
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
Enough for me to immediately think of a 10 shilling note when I saw the new issue.
• Japan
Wow. Are they worth the same approximate amount figuring in the spending value?
@Asylum (47268)
• Manchester, England
No, there were 20 shillings to a pound prior to Britain going decimal in 1971, so the new note is worth 20 times what the 10 shilling note was.