When Do You Give Up On Someone?

As a recovering Compulsive Gambler I know that there comes a tome when you give up on helping someone. My question is when would you give up on a person? Here are three different relationships to consider. 1. A spouse, child or other family member. 2. A close friend. 3, A person who asked for help in one of the groups you are a part of. How long do you provide support for any person when they keep going back? How long do you hold out hope? I ask these questions to get some impartial input. Later today I will write my answer to the question and see what people think of it.
I think you never give up on the people you care about but sometimes you have to realize the kind of help you have to provide may not be what the person needs.
I never want to give up on my child. But I can give up on all others. If I now a friend is with an abuser and won't leave. I won't help her. In this day and age with domestic shelters, I would leave that person alone. I would leave a family member too if they would except such behavior. but my child i have to hold out as much hope as possible.
@sharon6345 I agree with the child. I held out hope for my oldest son and helped him get clean from Robitussin. I still hold out hope for my youngest son.
@Berniezeitler Always and forever with my child. not anyone else.
If one does not allow a person to hit rock bottom, that person will not recover. Enabling an addict never works. Making a person dependent upon others does them no favors.
@weevee18 (527)
I think for as long as I care. As long as I feel that I can still help and that other party is accepting it. Maybe I'd stop if they don't want my help anymore
I would not be able to help anyone else..not capable of it now at this point in my life..they would be on their own with that.