The Principality of Sealand

Daytona Beach, Florida
This is another micro-nation known as the Principality of Sealand. It is located in the United Kingdom and was founded in 1967. It is ruled by the Bates family and has a population of four residents. The size of this nation is unknown. This micro-nation is an old WW II fort which was taken over by a pirate radio broadcaster and is actually a platform in the middle of the ocean. Since it is in international waters it is not ruled by the U.K. courts.
Very Interesting @RasmaSandra. I believe they are having a bit of a population problem at the moment though.
Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness! Upgrade the way you live with a title pack from the Principality of Sealand.
Thank for sharing this @Berniezeitler
@Mike197602 (13899)
I can't even believe non UK people even know about this I doubt even 1% of UK citizens know about sealand That being said, it is a non entity...it isn't recognised as a nation by anyone and barring the armed incursions it is pretty much unknown. Maybe not legally ruled by UK courts but just watch if they mess with us in a big way...the sbs will end them. By sbs I mean UK special forces...if they mess with us in a big way the sbs will get sent in and that will be the end of sealand.
@topffer (35555)
• France
I do not think that a family of 4 represents a danger for your country.
Awesome! .Would have been nicer if Bates had a larger family.
That is very interesting. I don't think I would like to live on a platform in the ocean.
Imagine suddenly sleep walking and forgetting where you live @just4him
@RasmaSandra That would be a sudden wake up call. I'm already scared of heights, that wouldn't help any.
@sugartoes (41994)
• Greencastle, Indiana
WOW, that's some history I didn't know about it'd be a great place to call a home & no one could mess with you BUT I wonder how they deal with the bad weather that stirs to the water? be nice to fish from.
I suppose the problem would be getting off there and back on @sugartoes perhaps a private helicopter
@sugartoes (41994)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@RasmaSandra yeah that's what I was thinking.
Four residents in the whole micro-nation. I wonder if it's near a very populated city.
No cities there @Susan2015
• Pleasant Hill, California
How are property values there?
Good question. Just by looking at some of these micronations I am starting to think how awesome to own one if it brought in plenty of money @TheHorse
• Dallas, Texas
Just so they don't build the Bates Motel. LOL.
@jstory07 Well technically it is the Bates Island!
• Dallas, Texas
@alberello75 (18408)
• Genova, Italy
Thanks for information. I would never know about this. What you posted, is the authentic photo?
@DaddyEvil (25803)
• Aurora, Missouri
LOL! I wonder if they have plans drawn up for invading other countries?
Interesting! Wouldn't mind spending a few nights here!
Okay, I thought this was something else. I have now learned a new little bit of geography they would never teach us in school.
@YrNemo (14322)
I wonder how much money this principality has managed to make from their online business. Their workshop, printing (passport, certificate of royal titles here there) couldn't have been there could it?
I am fascinated by these micronations and wonder how much money could possibly be made from them @YrNemo
@YrNemo (14322)
@RasmaSandra Seems as a few hundred pounds per passport.
hahaha, I kinda want my own land to live on!
I can bet they get lonely!
What do you mean by a pirate radio station?
You can get info from this link
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search For other uses, see Pirate Radio (disambiguation). Pirate radio or a pirate radio station is a radio station that broadcasts without a valid license. In some cases radio stations are conside
@RasmaSandra I read the link and understand it better. Thank you for helping me!
Very interesting. I'd heard of pirate radio stations but you've added to my knowledge.
Some of the pirate radio stations have really great oldies music @JudyEv I get online and enjoy from time to time.
@LeaPea2417 (21582)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I just learned about this in the past month or so. I find it fascinating and do you know it has it's own web page?
@LeaPea2417 take a look and at what BernieZ posted. Same site.
During the Second World War, the British government built several Fortress islands in the North Sea to defend its coasts from German invaders...
@LeaPea2417 (21582)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@RasmaSandra Thanks