Ten Favorite Steely Dan Songs: Black Cow (#8)

@FourWalls (9525)
On this first post-end-of-the-world day I can tell you that I had a lovely end of the world. I hope you did as well. I have to work tomorrow, so I was kinda pulling for ol' "planet X" to hit us. But alas, I'll go to work. (It's not so bad: given that no one else is there I'll be in shorts and a t-shirt.) So for my first post-apocolypse discussion I'll continue the look at my favorite songs by Steely Dan. Here's the next song. #8: Black Cow I'd have this song on the list for the opening alone. If the first 20 seconds of this song was all there was to this song, it's still here. Dang, what a cool, funky opening! But there's also that little nod to Bill Murray's SNL catch phrase ("get outta here"...thankfully they left the "ya knucklehead" off ) as they roll through this song about a man who's a wild woman's "safety net" every time one of her relationships ends. He's tired of all of it: the drinking and drugs ("you were high, it was a crying disgrace"), the way she's always "looking so outrageous," and being the aforementioned safety net ("I don't care anymore why you run around") and tells her to leave him alone. All of that with a terrific melody that is as outrageous -- in a good way -- as her looks. Drink up. Black Cow Written by Walter Becker and Donald Fagen From Aja, 1977 Trivia time: the cover of Aja was designed by Phil Hartman, who later went on to star in SNL and NewsRadio. Screen out the sorrow:
Steely Dan - Black Cow (Aja, 1977) Songwriters:WALTER BECKER / DONALD FAGEN In the corner Of my eye I saw you in Rudy's You were very high You were high It w...
Phil Hartman, huh? Interesting. I had no idea.
@FourWalls (9525)
Yeah, he was a graphic artist before he became an actor.
@FourWalls - Really? I've learned something new today.
@FourWalls (9525)
@teamfreak16 -- he also did a couple of Poco albums. Of course, his brother was Poco's manager, so......
I might have to check these guys out sometime
@kepweng (5931)
thanks for sharing and the title of song is hilarious
Interesting tidbit about Hartman doing the cover art.