A question about your past schooling

@LeaPea2417 (13410)
Toccoa, Georgia
When you were in Elementary School, did you ever have to repeat a grade? My husband repeated the first grade because his Dad died when he was in first grade the first time he was in it and he didn't do well. So, he repeated the grade. I missed a whole year of school when I was 12 going into the 7th grade due to an accident I had with my leg after being hit by a car in a parking lot. I was in the hospital nearly 4 months. When I started back to school a year later, I went into the 7th grade, but I was behind my original class that I had been in. But it didn't bother me. It just was the way things turned out. As a result of my husband and I being behind a year in school, we graduated from High School a year later than we would have. But, I am convinced, those things happened to bring us together. We may not have met, if he had not been behind a year with school. Did you graduate on schedule or were you behind a year?
@sishy7 (25460)
I was on schedule... My sons gained about half a year due to moving overseas with a different start of new school year.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That was good for your sons, right?
@sishy7 (25460)
@LeaPea2417 Yes, that was an advantage for my sons... It was during their elementary years too, so skipping half a year was not too hard for them to adjust or catch up with...
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@sishy7 Very good.
I missed first grade due to developing kidney disease and having to endure a long hospital stay, so I was always a year older than my peers. I did well in school due to being older.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, when I missed that year and then started 7th grade a year later, I from then on was always a year older than my peers through out High School & College.
I graduated on time and younger than most of the kids in my grade. My older sister had to repeat 1st grade because she has dyslexia and struggled so much learning to read.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am glad I never had a struggle with reading. Sorry your sister did.
@kobesbuddy (10822)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Actually, I started school at four years old! I was two years younger, than some of the kids I went to school with. So, had they held me back a year, it would have benefited me greatly!:)
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I understand that.
@UncleJoe (7677)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I failed so many times that I finally quit when my son caught up to me in the 6th Grade.
@fishtiger58 (29379)
• Momence, Illinois
I was on schedule, and some things do happen for a reason.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, they do.
I graduated on time
@vsai2008 (7632)
I repeated a grade when I broke my arm
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
How old were you when that happened?
@vsai2008 (7632)
• Lakewood, Colorado
Sorry to hear about both you and your husband having to repeat a grade Anne. I was fortunate not to have to do so.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
At the time, it kind of bummed me out, but when I look back on it, it was for the best.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@LeaPea2417 Yes of course Anne.
I'm glad it worked out so well for you both. I graduated with my class.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Thanks.
@1creekgirl (7335)
Since my birthday is in December, I was almost a year older than my classmates. Since I was a good student, I skipped the 5th grade. I was caught up age wise, but I hated it. I still felt like the kids were older and cried every day I had to go to school. Our grandson was a preemie, so he didn't start Kindergarten until he was 6. He's a year older than his clasdmates, but he excells in school.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Sorry you felt that way about school, but that is good for your grandson.
@YrNemo (5486)
Yes and no in my case. I was too young at the time for a grade one, so they kept me back. But because of that, I ended up being top of all the later classes.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is good that it happened that way for you.
• Riga, Latvia
Never had to repeat a grade. I graduated on time but it always seemed to take forever and in university I had to go all year round even the summer sessions just to graduate in time.
@LeaPea2417 (13410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, I took summer classes in College in order to graduate on time.
@Tracy04 (10660)
No, there's no repeating here in elementary or secondary schools. But universities, yes.
@Jackalyn (6186)
• Oxford, England
I was going to say no and then remembered that I had a terrible time just after I started school. I had a lot of illness, culminating with Pneumonia and ended up in hospital. They kept me down for what might have been a term. I was bored stiff repeating all the work a second time around and hated every moment.
I never skipped, or stayed back. Would've stayed on time to graduate at 17, if I didn't drop out to take care of my daughter.