This Just Happened To Me On MyLot – A Scam To Earn On The Site

@poehere (17877)
French Polynesia
I wrote one discussion and received a comment from @YrNemo about a cunning scam some new people are using on the site. I had never seen this before today. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me. It was explained to me how this works. A person finds a discussion that receives a lot of attention. They make a comment in the middle of several comments the writer and the other person are writing. Their comment is meaningless and doesn’t pertain to what is being said between the two people. They scroll down further in the discussion and find another conversation between the writer and another person and they make another silly comment in this conversation. They can leave you more than one comment that doesn’t mean anything at all. Or they can leave one comment – only they will break their comment up into several different one line comments throughout the discussion. Most people to be polite will hit the like on this comment. Considering there is two people in the conversation both of us can like this comment. If they place several in your discussion they might earn 10 to 12 likes from your discussion. I did check this person’s profile and all he has is comments. If you look at his comments he leaves between 3 to 5 comments on one person’s discussion and moves on to a new discussion doing the same. I am not going to like his comments and I will report this scammer to the site. I don’t feel this is a fair way of earning on MyLot. Has this happened to you and what have you done?
@1hopefulman (20332)
But I thought that we don't earn from likes?
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
We do earn from likes. I wrote a discussion on this and it is true we do earn from likes. I also thought like you and I was wrong. Several people pointed this out to me and others. So they understand this and if they get 2 likes off every comment they leave this really adds up quickly. If they leave 5 comments then they receive 10 likes for little to no effort at all.
Yes, you earn from received likes, they are how you 'otherwise show interest' which is a phrase mentioned in the Earning FAQs
@kobesbuddy (19479)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake These deadbeats are cheating the system, what's new? There's always at least one jerk, to spoil things for all the rest of us, who work hard for our dollars!
@sabtraversa (9871)
That sounds like flooding or spamming. I'm likely to delete comments like that, if I have the rights. I don't care about missing out on earnings, I want to spend my time in a neat environment. If the comment is completely unrelated to the conversation, of course. Otherwise it's acceptable to receive comments from a third person. I sometimes comment on different conversations under responses of one discussion, but I'm always on topic.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
According to JJ leave the comment and report it to Admin. The user will be banned and all the comments will be deleted by Admin. It is best to report these people.
@poehere I see, I should be patient and wait for Admin. Hard task, but I'll try.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@sabtraversa That is what JJ told me to do. Just report it and let Admin handle it. Don't comment back or like back just report the comment. Admin will investigate and take care of it. Yes it is hard because the comments are silly and very stupid.
• Denmark
I haven't noticed anything like that yet.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
I never had either until today. I found this today on one of my discussions. I looked at the profile of the person and noticed he did the same on one other member's discussion. I guess what made me look was t he comment Darcy Nemo left me that explained this scam. We had several back and forth comments and then I noticed this one. I then scrolled down through my comments and I found another one. That is when I understood and saw what they were talking about.
@owlwings (38176)
• Cambridge, England
That's a very sneaky trick which hadn't occurred to me. I'm glad that you have reported those comments. That's certainly the right thing to do!
Thanks for alerting us to this! Will be on the lookout for this person.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
There might be many of them and they are hard to spot if you have a lot of comments and interactions on one discussion. They will hide their comments in the middle of long conversations back and forth with one person. You might even think they are adding something in. You need to look at all your comments to see if you find more like this. Then you will know it is a scam they are playing on you.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I haven't run into this--at least not to my knowledge. It's a slow way to make "money." A like on a comment might be worth 1/10 of a cent. I'd rather dress up as a bum, clean someone's headlights for $20, and call it a "good day on MyLot."
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
You might not of noticed this at all. I would never of noticed it unless another member explained it to me. OK look at it this way. If they make 5 of these comments on a conversation you have with another member you would more than likely hit like and so would this person. So now they have 5 of them and 2 of you hit like on all 5 - now they have 10 likes on just your post. They do this on many and it can add up for them. The more silly comments mixed in between a conversation between 2 people the more they can earn.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@poehere Hmm I still think the numbers would be ungodly low. Have the been getting likes on their silly comments?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@yugocean That is the way to go.
When this happens I wonder how they get away with such nonsense. They leave random comments that don't really make sense either.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
You are so right. Most people ignore this and just hit like. But thanks to Darcy Nemo I was made aware of this and I noticed it. I am happy they explained this to me. Now others can be on the look out for scammers like this and report the comment they have made. Don't delete it, leave it, and report it. Admin will then check their account and more than likely ban them from the site.
@poehere I don't look for rewards for the length of my responses, but I do make sure that the response is relevant to the discussion.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@ElusiveButterfly This is so true. I think if you read a comment and it doesn't fit the discussion or in the conversation you are having with another member this is a good sign that the person is scamming you and wanting you to respond back or give them a like. They are hard to detect that is for sure.
• Riga, Latvia
First time I am hearing this. Thanks for sharing and reporting. Hopefully this person will not longer be here but I will keep a look out.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
It is the first time I saw this. Darcy Nemo told me of this scan and I had never heard of it or seen it before. Then it happened to me and I wrote this. I think this is a poor way of earning on the site and I don't like people who want to scam a site for earnings.
This happens all the time and what I always do is to REPORT the response incriminated.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I might do so as well. Usually I just ignore comments that don't pertain to the conversation.
@TheHorse If you do not want to report you can DELETE, so they earn nothing with their little trick.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
I have seen this around the site, but never on one of my discussions before. Now it appeared on one of mine and I thought it was time to say something on the site.
@Scrapper88 (1210)
I have not noticed this before. I will try to pay attention to this.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
I had never heard of this before Darcy Nano told me of it. I am glad she did because I found one today on that same post and where she was commenting back to me. I would never of noticed this if it wasn't for her and explaining this to me.
me neither
@Lizirazo (2484)
I have never heard about this before, will surely be on the look out.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
Just watch for comments that are silly and don't fit in to your discussion. Also look if you have several comments back and forth with another member and all of a sudden you see a silly response in there then you know it is happening to you.
@Lizirazo (2484)
@poehere Ok. Thanks for this great info, I'll surely keep a close watch.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@pgntwo (21733)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Cunning ploys abound, it seems. I'd delete or report the nonsense comment if it happened to me.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
I am reporting him,but don't delete the comment when you report it otherwise Admin can't find the person. Just leave the comment and report it. That is what I was told to do.
@pgntwo (21733)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@poehere Yes, either one action or the other, but not both.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@pgntwo Correct.
@YrNemo (8585)
I will just ignore those members, after giving them a few 'likes'.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
I don't give them any like now after you told me what they are doing hre on the site. I feel it is wrong and I don't like it at all.
Spamming, maybe?
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
The comment wasn't spamming. It said they they liked my cunning way of thinking or something like this. I reported it after checking on them. I saw they did this to one other person here.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@poehere Was it cut and paste? Same comment?
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@TheHorse Not suer but mine were strange to say the least. Something about cunning.
@Bluedoll (16817)
There will always be people that come to the site for the sole purpose of earning with as little as effort as possible. In this case though the "earning method" has seemed to go too far. You did well to report this.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
It is a problem and others have seen some of these silly comments. I just hope people will be more careful when liking and responding back on their own discussions. This way we can stop them from this mess and trying to earn off likes only.
@Bluedoll (16817)
I understand that the culprit has been identified, caught and sent on his/her way. Nothing much left to talk about then I guess unless the same problem should reappear.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@Bluedoll There is more than one person on the site that does this. It is just a matter of time to identify them and report them. Just look for strange behavior and comments that don't fit at all and we can stop this from happening.
@dodoazo (11247)
I couldn't remember when in the past several years a user was employing this kind of dubious style of commenting. In one post with 30 comments, he had left his uniformed comment, "I like it." I had reported him to the admin via private message by sending his profile link. In the following day or so, I couldn't find him in this. He's removed, banned or blocked.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
It seems to be happening again and it isn't just one person. Several people seem to have started this and it is annoying and should be stopped. If you see it again anywhere please report it immediately.
@sprite1950 (1655)
• Corsham, England
Thanks for drawing our attention to it. I might have realised there was something odd about the comments but I wouldn't have understood the reason for it. I haven't been on here enough lately to be affected thankfully.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
You are welcome. Another member told me of this and until it happened to me I just thought it was a one time occurrence. I guess I was wrong because it did happen and I wasn't the only one. They did it to another member also.
@Gillygirl (15290)
• Sutton, England
Sadly this happens on occasions. There was a user a few months ago who used to comment on every response on my posts. He did this with several people. Some answered and many gave a like. That person would have been paid for the likes. He has been banned now. Could you pm me the user name as it may be the same person with a new account and I know his style.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
I am glad that more people have found these types of posts and have reported them. It is a shame when people try and scam the system for a few pennies.
@Gillygirl (15290)
• Sutton, England
@poehere Yes it's disappointing. I found the person making the silly comments. He chose a member who hasn't been too active on the site recently. The comments are weird.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@Gillygirl I agree with you on this one. They are strange comments and do not add to the discussion at all. They stick out and make you notice them.
I have seen this on some discussions. Glad you reported it.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
It has to be caught before it can be stopped. I was wondering if people would think this was a real problem or not. I consider it a problem and not a fair practice on the site. It is wrong to do this just to earn a few cents on the site.
@poehere ......That's true.
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@gilggg (2688)
• Israel
I did not know there were people who did it. It seems that it has not happened to me yet. Thank you for pointing out this problem. I will certainly warn such a person not to do so, and if not help I will report to admin...
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
It is hard to find for sure. They hid their comments well and because they do it in broken English you just figure they used a translator to comment with. I had to really dig in and search to find the other comments hidden in my discussion.
@gilggg (2688)
• Israel
@poehere But you can see it in your notifications, and you can also set it to get it to your mail : each comment or reply that you get on your posts...(Discussins, comments, responds...)
@poehere (17877)
• French Polynesia
@gilggg I understand this and I have deleted email notifications and a few other notifications so I don't have way too many in my box. I have a lot as it is and the other stuff I am not interested in and I don't need to know who liked a comment or not.