This Is What True Love Looks Like

My sister and I were waiting in the common area in the nursing home. Dad was not yet awake, so we decided to sit in the common area and talk for a bit. I happened to see an elderly couple at one of the tables in the common area. I believe the husband was visiting his wife in the nursing home. The husband was sitting in a chair, and his wife was in a wheelchair. Both elderly folks were sound asleep, and even though asleep, the wife's hand never left her husband's arm. What a wonderful example of a couple who still care so deeply for each other and a couple that continues to find comfort in each other's presence. . I took a photo of just the arms of the elderly couple. I did show the photo to the elderly gentleman, then awake, after we visited Dad. I asked the gentleman for permission to share the photo, and he happily agreed when I told him I wanted others to see what true love really looks like.
• Lakewood, Colorado
So very precious Deborah and so nice of the man to let you share this with us here. Bless them.
My sister and I both teared up when we saw the love between those two. I was so pleased when he granted my request to share.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 I would too Deborah..it was really a significant moment and capture my friend.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TiarasOceanView , Yes, so nice and it seems I wanna fall in love again.
What a wonderful photo.
I teared up when I watched the couple. Her hand slipped off his arm one time, and although it was a struggle for her, she raised her hand to place it on his arm once again.
@Corbin5 how wonderful for the couple. They sound very sweet.
@Marty1 It was a lovely thing to witness, my friend.
Cute. Sad how most don't last that long these days to end up like that though. These days, people let the littlest thing end their relationship wether love is still there or not.
Yes, loving someone else takes a lot of work and there are a lot of ups and downs, but those who are committed to loving a person work on that love to make it a reality.
@Corbin5 sometimes. Sometimes giving up even though you still love them, is best.
Indeed, people don't last anymore :(
Yes that is true love. My grandparents were married for over sixty years and everywhere they went they held hands.
I am so glad your grandparents loved each other so much! Wonderful role models they were.
@1hopefulman (18703)
Very nice! Some people find that and some hope to find that someday. Blessed are those that find true love for they shall be warm and fuzzy all the days of their life.
I love the "warm and fuzzy" all the days of their lives!!!!!
My mother has met a man at the nursing home that she is madly in love with. They sit together during the day and are always touching hands or she is rubbing his arm. They say I love you quite a bit. I am happy for them both.
Oh, I am so happy for your mother and the man she has met too. We all need to realize how important love, and the touch of another human, is a need of the elderly too. Of course, in your line of work, you are well aware, for sure.
@Corbin5 I render hugs everyday. For those who are not receptive to hugs I put my hand on their shoulder. You always know which ones don't like to be hugged.
@ElusiveButterfly I do the same thing, as does my sister. So many need those hugs or a gentle touch.
@Morleyhunt (15383)
Oh, the things we see when we visit the elderly in hospitals and nursing homes. Some couples obviously care a great deal about each other....years ago I did some sewing for an elderly couple (wife couldn't see to make the undergarments for her husband that he preferred.). When I bumped into them later at the grocery store, when I asked how they were...his answer...we wake every morning with a surprised expression on our faces...
Yes, waking up in the morning does become a nice surprise when old age is in the works.
• Denmark
I'm sure the couple was pleased by your attention.
The wife could not speak, but I was so pleased the elderly gentleman gave me permission to share the photo. One time, his wife's hand slipped from her arm, and although it was a struggle, she placed her hand on his arm again. It was a must for both of them, I believe.
@vsai2008 (7632)
Very beautiful picture, now that we know the story behind it, it is even more beautiful
Yes, I was so touched at the comfort this couple provided for each other.
@vsai2008 (7632)
@Corbin5 That kind of love is a bit rare these days, caring for each other despite all odds, it makes you happy :) thank you for sharing it
@kobesbuddy (11781)
• East Tawas, Michigan
That's so precious, a perfect picture of love, devotion, and a secure relationship. Thanks, for sharing this with us!:)
You are welcome. I was so honored to be given permission to share the photo.
@kobesbuddy Oh, that is so sweet my friend. That photo provided great comfort for your mom.
@crossbones27 (14328)
• Redlands, California
That is a rare thing to see indeed, nice to see and glad they allowed you to share the story and photo.
I was so pleased when he said I could share the photo. Wonderful role models they are.
• Redlands, California
@Corbin5 Indeed, like when people show a better way and especially when they are just being them.
@UncleJoe (7768)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My parents were really close like that. They often shared the same dentures.
Same dentures.
That is definitely a sign of closeness.
Awwww . . . that's so sweet . To see her hand on his arm like that you just know she adores this man so much .
She kept her hand there the entire time. Her hand slipped once, and although she struggled, she placed her hand on his arm once again.
• Marion, Kansas
Very touching and true. I am also glad you showed him, as it probably does him good to know someone notices and cares how he and his wife care for one another.
Her hand slipped once, but she struggled to place her hand back on his arm, and she was able to do so. Just the touch was all she needed.
True love indeed, that's what it's all about.
It was a wonderful sight to witness.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful photo. It's so touching to see that real love still exists.
Yes, sights like this one warm the heart.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck, You are right , only few loves till eternity.
@dgobucks226 (4892)
Such a beautiful expression of love. I visualize my Dad and Mom in that photo, because that is the kind of love they had for each other! It brings a smile to my face Thanks for sharing.
I am so glad I could share this photo. I am so pleased to hear that your parents have that kind of love!
@Corbin5 Thank you
@sishy7 (25635)
Aww, so sweet... And are those your beautiful sister's legs in the foreground?
Yes, those are my sister's legs. You have a good eye, my friend.
@Platespinner (17590)
Very sweet!
I thought so too.
@Corbin5 I hope to have a relationship like that with a Lego girl someday. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any dating sites geared toward mini-figures.
@Platespinner There is a great need for a dating site for mini-figures. Mini-figures need love too.