The Waiting Begins

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I live in a household of procrastinators. Four of the five Big People have spent much of their spare time in the past week scurrying around to make sure all fair entries were ready to go. The drop-off deadline was this afternoon and all four were still busy finishing things up after church this morning. An hour or so ago we loaded up in the car and headed to the fairgrounds to drop off all the completed entries. The education annex was a beehive of activity with people lugging in boxes, baskets, and even some utility wagons full of items to enter in the judged competitions. Our group had a fairly sizeable pile of items to deliver as well: The Boss is entering three photographs. The Artist is entering four pieces in the fine arts category. The Thespian is entering two sewing projects and two adult colouring pages. And the HuisVrouw (who will henceforth be referred to as Mrs J--since I think the Dutch housewife moniker is beginning to irritate her) is entering 3 quilts, 1 quilt block, 3 wall hangings, 1 table runner and two costumes. 21 items in total (small change for the four of them compared to @Morleyhunt ‘s 39 items earlier this week). The Thesbian and Mrs J will be taking a field trip to the fair on Friday afternoon to see if any ribbons are won.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
Congratulations...we'll be keeping our fingers crossed. Hopefully Friday night you share lots of good news.
All of our entries are little fish in a big pond. Last years second place was the result of accidentally entering a category with only two entries. Every item entered this year is competing with 12-30+ other items.
@kobesbuddy (16679)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Goodness, I hope everyone wins a bunch of blue ribbons, at the fair!:)
I think there will be satisfaction in ANY ribbons regardless of colour.
@kobesbuddy (16679)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner I think a ribbon is always an honor, with such stiff competition!
@kobesbuddy Last year Mrs J got a second place ribbon for a quilt. It was also a ribbon for last place since there were only two quilts entered into that particular category. No such luck this year, every quilt item was one entry in a list a page or more long.
Were all the fair entries fair, or did anyone cheat?
No cheating that I know of. But maybe this family has a darker side that they haven't allowed me to see.
• Denmark
Do Mrs J and @Morleyhunt know each other in real life?
They're sisters
• Denmark
@Platespinner Aha! Thanks for the info, yellow one.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
I thought you knew that. She's my baby sister and I'm her little sister...confusing? Yes....but we do enjoy telling people those tidbits. She's the youngest...I'm the shortest.
Wishing all the best of luck with their entries. Emmett, what is your entry?
No entries for me this year, I'm more interested in seeing how everyone else fares.
• Marion, Kansas
I suppose the fifth big person is the driver for all the rest. Good Luck.
The fifth big person would rather commune with his computer.
Oh I hope that your entries are as successful as your sisters were. I look forward to hearing the results and hearing all about the ribbons won. Good luck!
Mrs J isn't in the same league as her sister when it comes to quilting, but some ribbons would be nice!
I hope you win lots of ribbons. Is that one of the quilts entered? If so, if it doesn't win a ribbon, I'd be surprised. It's beautiful!
Thank you! Yes, it is one of the quilts entered. I don't have photos of any of the others .
@Platespinner I hope it wins a ribbon.
@just4him thank you!
• Lakewood, Colorado
I know you will win!!
Some ribbons would be nice, but I don't have high expectations in the quilt categories, the competition is just too steep.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Platespinner Well blessings for you to win.
@TiarasOceanView thank you!
Wow, nothing compared to the big work of @Morleyhunt but a lot of work anyway.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
Give her time Anna! She's still busy raising her family. I'm "retired" so I have all the time I the world.
@Morleyhunt Now she has a new addition to the family, she has to take care also of Emmett.
Wow, sounds like the whole family’s been busy. I wish you all the success!
Not the whole family, the one human resident who is not participating has hermit tendencies at the best of times. Of course he produces a fair amount of stuff that could be entered as well--he's mighty handy with a pair of knitting needles.
@kepweng (5820)
thats is good with the lego and the painting is like pixel?
The photo is of a quilt not a painting. Mrs J made it for the Boss last spring.
Good luck to the household! I hope many ribbons are won.
Thanks.
Oooh that sounds very exciting and the best of luck with all the entries . . .
@YrNemo (7505)
A family of artists. Wow!
There's only one real, honest-to-goodness artist in the family. But she tends to leave complete havoc behind her. This is her desk after she went to bed last night.
@YrNemo (7505)
@Platespinner I live with a few here, the place constantly a mess!
@YrNemo The Artist and the Thespian share a room. The one is creatively messy, the other is an OCD neatnik, it keeps life from being dull.
@KrauseHome (33250)
Sounds like all of you kept pretty busy to get in all these entries. Wishing you the Best.