Closing Time

@sol_cee (13698)
Japan
I attended my friend’s sayonara party last night. After four years of working as an English teacher in Japan, she is finally going back to the Philippines. It was a hasty decision, I think. She said she no longer felt that she was needed in her company. That she was asked to do a lot of unnecessary errands unfit for her role as an English teacher. She claimed her company could not fire her, so they delegated tasks which she deemed lowly, like cutting her in the middle of the class, asking her to go the post office, etc. etc. She was wallowing in self-pity and no amount of friendly advice could convince her to just quit her job, find another school and continue working here. So last night was an emotional one as we bade her goodbye. When I hugged her for the last time, all memories came back, and I found myself crying. I wonder when I would see her again. :(
@dpk262006 (54849)
I agree with Judy that she might find another job and may come back again to Japan. When you are away from your home country, every friend from your home country becomes very important and her absence will definitely be felt by you. Having said that it is part of life, better take it on your stride.
@vandana7 (57528)
I learned that part when I was in first second and third standards. You could say I had six heart breaks then. I would not understand why a friend who used to sleep in the same dormitory as me would play my favorite games would suddenly disappear because her parents did not want her to continue in the same school. Summer vacations and Diwali vacations became difficult to deal with..because there was no permanence. So not getting seriously attached became a norm.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
I'll take this farewell in stride because I believe that friends come, friends go but true friends remain in the heart. :)
@dpk262006 (54849)
@vandana7 You meant to say that when you were quite young and used to stay in hostel, you learnt the hard fact of life that friends come and go, nothing is permanent here. You become used to it and you made yourself understand that getting attached with someone seriously is not going to do any good to you.
She should have found another job. I hope you will see her again.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
I do hope we will. :)
@vandana7 (57528)
Aw......that is so sad. And that was wrong..asking her to go to post office. Wrong! Aren't there any laws against that in Japan?
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
Apparently, dismissals in Japan are strictly regulated under the Labor Law. Employers won't fire you outright, unless you have given them reasons (misconduct, incompetence) which would stand up in court. Hence, the trick of getting you to leave voluntarily.
@responsiveme (14459)
I suppose it takes a lot out of you if people keep on behaving meanly. But big decisions should not be taken hastily. Hope you see her again...She gets another job and comes back
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
I hope it is that easy to get another job here and come back. Apparently, it's not. That's why we tried to convince her to stay since she's already here and going back home might mean losing the chance of a lifetime.
@ilocosboy (33307)
Of course you will meet again, that's what friends are for. So sad many company's like that, after getting the loyalty service of their employee they will treat them lowly when they thought someone are younger and prettier.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
From your own experience?
@ilocosboy (33307)
@sol_cee its not mine but I knew some of them. I have the feeling it could also happen to me.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
So sorry to hear the plight of your friend. Hopefully, she finds a better job here in the Philippines.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
She said she's going to sell vegetables in front of her house. :)
@sol_cee not sure if that would pay as much as her work in Japan but it is her decision.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
@allen0187 I bet she was joking. Or maybe not. ;)
I am so sorry, the farewells are always sad, but I am sure you will meet again, do not worry.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
Yes Anna-san. It's not goodbye but see you soon. :)
@sol_cee Think positive, so you will be less depressed.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
@LadyDuck her flight is today. :(
@peachpurple (10707)
She should have find another job in another school, don't leave Japan yet because this country has a good future ahead
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
The last four years must have taken its toll. :)
@peachpurple (10707)
@sol_cee maybe, sometimes too much pressure would drive one to crucial decision
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
@peachpurple agree. Worst enemy for a peaceful mind.
@YrNemo (8758)
Was that really true, what happened to her? (Or everything was just part of her anxious mind, worrying about something at home?)
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
We tried to put sense in her but she's deaf to our pleadings. Sad.
@YrNemo (8758)
@sol_cee I have a suspicion that there are problems at home, and she can't explain. This is a good excuse as any, you know what I mean?
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
@YrNemo yeah, it can be. But I hope, nothing serious.
@Kind4321 (866)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Sorry about that but time will heal everything.She feels its time for her to pursue her happiness elsewhere.Her season for teaching in Japan ended.Change is inevitable.Just keep her number and you can keep communicating. All the best to her and her future endeavors
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
You mean 'teaching in Japan'. :)
@Kind4321 (866)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@sol_cee oops i must have confused but i have corrected
@Lucky15 (33691)
No good in goodbyes ;/
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
From your own experience?
@Lucky15 (33691)
@sol_cee huhuhu. oh yes sol san
@FayeHazel (11863)
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. It is too bad that her company treated her like that. But my question is - would she receive the same amount of pay? Then why worry about it. But I'm sure when it happens to you - it seems much more personal. I do hope you will be able to stay in touch with her
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
I think it's all about feeling unwanted. She didn't care about the salary. Sigh.
@FayeHazel (11863)
@sol_cee That is a hard feeling. I wish her success in her new venture
So, what is your friend doing these days? they should have gave her fair compensation. Well, I doubt there's a support group like that probably in japan.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
She said she'd sell vegetables in front of her house.
@ridingbet (38163)
maybe if you have your vacation here in our country, you might see her again.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
She's from Iligan. :)
Don't be sad, you can always see each other in messenger, viber or skype. Besides you can see each other when you come home to the Philippines too. Yes, why can't she apply in another school? Maybe she really wants to go home already. Is she married?
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
She is single. Yeah, maybe she just wants to be with her family.
@acelawrites (10752)
Or maybe she just needed some rest and go back there again in a new school?
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
I don't know. It's difficult to get a working visa here.
That is terrible to do here that way.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
It doesn't happen in the US?
@Micmac (6858)
It's not easy saying goodbye to a close friend - sometimes it's meant to be that way, so we must endure and keep hoping that there might be a time to rekindle lost friendships.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
Her flight is today! :(
@Micmac (6858)
@sol_cee Hopefully, you'll be able to keep in touch with her later on.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am so sorry to hear this my friend..she will be missed by you. It is too bad the employer chose to do this to her. She must have felt so humiliated that she felt it best to leave.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
Humiliated, stripped of her dignity..
• Lakewood, Colorado
@sol_cee Precisely.
@JustBhem (22701)
• Davao, Philippines
Goodbyes are not forever Sol, as long as there are Messenger and Skype.
@sol_cee (13698)
• Japan
Thanks to the advent of technology then..
@JustBhem (22701)
• Davao, Philippines
@sol_cee Count WeChat.