Bet You the Kneeling Footballers Never Knew This

Have an Anthem = Pixabay.com
@Ceerios (4775)
Goodfellow, Texas
Bet You the Kneeling Footballers Never Knew This - I earlier posted about the music used for the USA's national anthem. Francis Scott Key, was the author of the anthem's words about the defense of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812. He did not supply the music used in the singing . The anthem's musical score came from one of the drinking songs used by the British drinking club, The Anacreontic Society, "To Anacreon in Heaven." You can listen to its music at the following link. It is almost funny to consider that all of the current-day fuss and bother about disrespect for the flag and for the USA national anthem is centered around a piece of music (with different words inserted) that originated with the drunks and others, members of the Drinking Club - the Anacreontic Society. Now you know. Image: Have an Anthem - Pixabay.com tags: Star Spangled Banner, Kneeling Nonsense, Sports Teams, Anacreontic Society Drinking Club, Great Britain
UPDATE 10/29/2016: 100K views! I appreciate the support, but this should have been the United State's national anthem. Lyrics: To Anacreon in Heaven, where h...
@Ceerios While I had never heard the song, I did know this! Many of our patriotic and Christian Hymns are from drinking songs!
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Berniezeitler - Hi Bernie - Not all that many people know these things. -Gus-
Interesting, isn't it? I say "live and let live." People have the right in this country, especially to CHOOSE what they want to do about certain traditions. I don't think its hurting anyone else if a person chooses NOT to do something, if they have any reason why they don't want to do it. It can't possibly hurt anyone else NOT to do something. Think about it.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@IreneVincent - Ms Alice - I DO understand what you are telling me, but, yes, I can definitely think of many things that would give hurt (or worse) to others if a person chooses Not to do something. I would consider "demonstrating" (or the like) to not be one of those hurtful things. I can also think of some things that a person chooses TO do that would be very helpful. Bet you can think of those things, too. -Gus-
@topffer (30800)
• France
It is interesting and I am learning something new with your post Our Marseillaise was a military song at start in 1792, but the music has changed several times. The actual one is from the 1930's. We had a slower and quite different version in the 1970's imposed by one of our Presidents, and we reverted back to the previous version under another President.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@topffer - Hi "Digger" - Music is not my thing, but like everything else, music is of interest. Making fun of stuff is where I live - and so, I suppose that my favorite "anthem" would be (verbatim) the song, Yankee Doodle" used for a time in derision of the American colonists. -Gus-
@topffer (30800)
• France
@Ceerios Lol, I heard long ago a French guardroom song (not a PG rated song) that was sang on the "Yankee Doodle" air.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@topffer - Hello again, "Digger" - I get a laugh out of the mistake many make over the ...and call it mMacaroni... words from the Yankee Doodle song. Some actually believe that the "Macaroni" is in reference to the kind of macaroni served on a plate with meat sauce. -Gus-
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@andriaperry Ms Andria - and a to you, too. -Gus-
@SHOHANA (7134)
• Bangladesh
good to know
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@SHOHANA - I will now try to put words around what is good to know about this whole bunch of nonsense. As for you, keep on thinking kind thoughts and keep smiling. -Gus-
@SHOHANA (7134)
• Bangladesh
@IreneVincent (15472)
I shared (suggested) your post with some of my mylot friends.
Drunks came up with a pretty good song.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Corbin5 - Ms Deborah - The Anacreonistas were high on "Spangles-Light" when they came up with their song. Music and party time go together nicely. -Gus-
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Corbin5 - Ms Deborah - I was kidding, but it may actually have been that way. -Gus-
@ramapo17 (19120)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Corbin5 I am sure there are many more that went into things when creating songs. We might never know them all.
this is my first to hear this. I am not surprised by this.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@amadeo - Hi Alfredo - When people get to the age of folks such as you and me, there are few things left in the world that would give us cause for surprise. As to music - new or old - there is little that should surprise anyone. -Gus-
@Ceerios well said there Gus.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@amadeo - Hello again, Alfredo - Well, maybe it is about time that I said something right. -Gus-
@KristenH (20521)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Now this is very interesting to know. Thanks for pointing it out.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@KristenH - Don't tell my family nor my old teachers that I pointed. They told me all during childhood and beyond that it is not polite manners to point. =Gus-
@KristenH (20521)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Ceerios No worries Gus.
@stbrians (11873)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Oh!
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@stbrians - Sorry to confuse you. -Gus-
• Austin, Texas
Actually lots of people take music from songs and revise the lyrics. There's lots of music with language I don't like but the music is terrific. I can easily take the music and insert my own song lyrics. My husband does that a lot! We don't resell the music though. It's for personal use. I'm OK with the words and the music of our national anthem. So the drunks knew good music when they heard it! The tune is memorable.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@cmoneyspinner - That is not being lazy, but shows good thinking. Not everyone is a musician. As to the anacreonistas, if they actually heard the music, they would not have been too drunk. My thought is that someone other than the drinking club members did the switch some years later. -Gus-
• Austin, Texas
@Ceerios - OK. Either way it happened, I'm happy with the way the national anthem turned out. (???) Where did I say the word "lazy"?
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@cmoneyspinner - You did not use the word, Lazy. I did. ( " That is not being lazy . " ) The tune (musical score) was a real oldie by 1931, the year the USA national anthem was adopted. From what I have learned, those tasked to sing the anthem as solos consider the melody to be difficult to follow. -Gus-
@buenavida (7687)
• Sweden
So, this is a drinking song? I have heard it in TV I think?? Interesting..
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@buenavida - Ms Marja - First thing to be said in this comment is that you have a very fine username. Minnesota is a state here heavily populated earlier by immigrants from Sweden. Next thing is to see if I can get a "saying" to you regarding something rather "Swedish" it is a saying from the USA state of Minnesota. It is what a Minnesotan might say when he or she is shown to be in error about something - defeated, so to speak... "I tenck I gohhh beck tooo Miennehsotaahhh." -Gus-
@buenavida (7687)
• Sweden
@Ceerios I can imagine immigrants from Sweden might say something like that.. and Thank you, my name Marja is Finnish, as I was born in Finland, but have lived in Sweden most of my life.. buenavida is my business name.. comes from the time when I studied Spanish..
• Marion, Kansas
Drinking songs provided a large collection of musical scores for other things to piggy back onto. John Wesley set a lot of hymns to drinking songs. I do not think the kneeling footballers really care where the song comes from or its history.
@ramapo17 (19120)
• Melbourne, Florida
You've got that right.
@inertia4 (26882)
I see nothing wrong with the football players kneeling down like that. It is not really because of the national anthem. It is because of the corrupt disgusting government we have here. How can anyone have respect for a government who don't really care about it's people.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@inertia4 - One needs to consider the cause of a "corrupt disgusting government." Don't you think that having such a government might be because the electorate has their attention on frivolous things more so than on serious affairs such as paying attention to their own government? -Gus-
@inertia4 (26882)
@Ceerios No, it is the government and the military industrial complex that is corrupt. They are working hand in hand to make all the money and leaving us to die. That's why they want to screw up healthcare in this country and social security. They don't want us to have anything.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@inertia4 - Not to say that there is NO corruption in the land, but as I look around the area I do not see that anyone wants to leave "us" to die. Fro where did you ever get that screwball idea? -Gus-
@YrNemo (8765)
Now that people know, they still stick to tradition I guess?
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@YrNemo - Darcy, all things are possible. -Gus-
Well that is interesting, it seems that our patriotism is still vested by the British.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@sumofalltears - Glad I am that you found the discussion to be of interest. Patriotism does not seem to have much to do with the musical score of the US' national anthem however. -Gus-
Wow I did not know that! Thank you to whoever suggested this post to me!
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@shaggin - It was good of someone to suggest this discussion to you. And now you know. -Gus-
I had heard that. It's interesting.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@AmbiePam - One more interesting thing to think about. Kinda fun, isn't it? -Gus-
Yes, I heard it was "The Whiiffenpoof song"
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@snowy22315 - One of these days I might be lucky enough to witness a poof being whiffend -- some day, some day. -Gus-
• Riga, Latvia
Thanks for sharing I didn't know this song. I love that photo of Kermit.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@RasmaSandra - You are, of course, welcome to share this story with me - but it really is factual and not just a tale. Lots of stuff came along with that War of 1812, including the burning of the White House and embarrassing military nonsense by an inept US military. It is a wonder that the country actually survived. And -- Kermit is a cool character. -Gus-
@LeaPea2417 (15469)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I did not know this. That is very interesting.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@LeaPea2417 - Ms Anne - When I first heard of the use of a drinking song as the musical score chosen for the national anthem of the USA, I felt the same way that you say you reacted today. -Gus-