My visits to Christie cannot get any sillier than this

Suicidal
@Asylum (47325)
Manchester, England
Today I had an appointment for 12 noon at Christie hospital. The schedule was for blood to be taken at 12 noon and chemotherapy to begin at 3 PM. It is not unusual to encounter delays , but today was totally unexpected. I arrived at the hospital around 11-20 AM, allowing me ample3 time for a coffee. After giving blood I waited in the reception area until just after 4 PM, when I was called upstairs to the treatment room. What happened next was like a scene from a television sitcom. The nurse collated the equipment and then inserted a cannula into the back of my right hand. Next there is a steroid to be inserted, followed by a flush for around 20 minutes. This is the point at which the nurse arranges for my chemotherapy drugs to be sent over. Since the worst part for me was now over I simply have to sit there for several hours until the treatment is finished. However, someone from the drug preparation department came over to say that no such medication had been prepared. For some unknown reason every department knew about my appointment today, except for the drug preparation department. At this point the cannula was removed and I was given a new appointment for 9-30 AM tomorrow. Not only will I have to be up early tomorrow, but I shall also have to have the cannula fitted an extra time. It would not have bothered me if the error was discovered prior to the cannula, but having one inserted in my vein for nothing really depressed me. What a terrible waste of 8 hours.
• Riga, Latvia
That is totally unprofessional. Sorry you had to go through all that. I will put in a prayer tonight that everything goes well for you tomorrow.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I anticipate no issues tomorrow because the staff were very apologetic about this incident. I still find it hard to believe that it actually happened.
@Asylum that was my thought as I read that of all thing to not be prepared that really uined the day
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@Hatley How very true.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Well I am astonished at their utter inefficiency, not to mention keeping you there all day for naught. I am so very sorry to hear this..flippin eedgets
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It came as quite a surprise to me.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum And also waiting such a long time after you gave blood..
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView I would not have been too concerned if the cannula had not been fitted.
@garymarsh6 (12183)
OH good grief that is ridiculous. I am sorry that this added to your discomfort. I would have made a complaint so hopefully it never happens again although I am sure it will. Best wishes!
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I could never bring myself to complain, that would be unfair. The staff are human beings, so whatever attention to detail they try to achieve mistakes will happen.
@garymarsh6 (12183)
@Asylum NO you must so that it does not happen to others. I would not be offended if someone complained to me about it. It should not have happened in the first place. Quite remiss. I do object when people swear and hit you though! That is out of order! You would not believe how some people behave these days. Trust me it is true!
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 I would feel guilty making a complaint because the staff are so very helpful.
• Preston, England
that is pretty farcical - glad you took it in good humour. I would have been furious. Hope it goes ok next visit
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
To compound matters it took 5 attempts to insert the cannula today. I feel like a pin cushion.
• Preston, England
@Asylum obviously highly distressing - hope they get their act together for your future visits
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@arthurchappell They seem to have done so far.
• Portland, Connecticut
How annoying and having the unnecessary insertion causes discomforted that wasn't required was particularly so. I have been having scheduling issues as well with my husband's procedures. Calling them medical professionals is at times a misnomer!! Not much professionalism going around.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
When I arrived today I was informed that there was no appointment on the system. I checked with the chemotherapy department and finally ended up being treated in Clinical trials department. I should have an appointment for a catscan on 11th October, but that cannot be found either. Now I must simply wait for further news.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum In this day where everything is so easy to connect and access there really is no excuse for why something scheduled in one department isn't on the books in the other department.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr This certainly should apply in a specialist clinic for cancer.
I am so sorry, I can understand you are not happy about this error, I would not be happy at all. I think that you have already finished today and I hope everything went fine.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
The chemotherapy is still running, but I should be finished soon.
@Asylum I am glad of this, I know you do not like this procedure. I would not like either.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck To make things worse it took 5 attempts to fit the cannula.
Wow, what a day you had. What kind of cancer do you have? How long have you had it if I might ask?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I have single cell cancer, which I am informed is quite virulent but does respond well to chemotherapy. It was diagnosed early June, but I suspect has been expanding for most of the year.
@Asylum koalemos, if chemo does not work so is there anything they can do for you?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@Hannihar Not that I am aware of, so I shall have to accept the outcome.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I am truly sorry that happened to you. How very inept of them. They should have checked to make sure they had everything ready. I hope your next appointment went well.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
Yes, although I did acquire a few bruises from the cannula.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Asylum sorry to hear that. Too soon you had to go through the whole process again, because they mucked up. Shame on them, truly. I hope they have all in order from now on.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@bluesa I have yet to discover what will be on the agenda next.
@Platespinner (18577)
Well, that sucks!!!
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It really does.
@Asylum tomorrow hope they get the c annula fitted without too much hurt then everythig goes as ils supposed to l ol
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@Hatley So do I. I have previously had the nurses take 3 attempts to insert the cannula correctly, which simply compounds the situation.
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
I am sorry to hear - you would think that with patients such as yourself that TIME is precious, so they shouldn't waste it.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It was rather devastating news, particularly since the cannula had already been inserted. Nevertheless, hospital staff are human beings, so despite the attention to detail mistakes will happen.
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
@Asylum Good Monday to you - I hope you are doing well today and for the rest of the week, I send you good wishes.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay I am weary a usual today, but it is only 4 days since I had my last chemotherapy session so this is to be expected.
@YrNemo (8741)
Such a waste of time OK! Odd that they could be that inefficient!
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It seemed impossible to me, but somehow they managed it.
@YrNemo (8741)
@Asylum Unless they like you so much and want to see more of you, so they created more chance for you to return. (sounds dumb )
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@YrNemo I cannot imagine anyone liking me that much.
• Eugene, Oregon
So sorry, what a farce for you to deal with and then go back tomorrow! I hope it all goes smoothly.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
The following day ran well, but it did mean that I went to Christie 4 consecutive days instead of the planned 3.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Asylum That is too many long days.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@JamesHxstatic I thought so too.
@LeaPea2417 (15410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is awful that happened to you! I would be very upset if I had that happen to me.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It was a nightmare at the time, but does not seem so bad now.
@LeaPea2417 (15410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Asylum I am sure it was. Saying a prayer that all goes well with the Chemo.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@LeaPea2417 I an hoping that will not be for a while.
Goodness! That is really an unhappy episode in your journey through this treatment. Your photo says it all.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
The image above is exactly how I felt at the time.
@Asylum I am so sorry that happened to you. When one doesn't feel well as it is, it's twice as upsetting. I hope you are done now with chemo and can concentrate on getting your steam back.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries That will be decided shortly when I have a consultation with the doctor.
That really is bad. I would hate to have a cannula inserted more than necessary. And to spend the whole day there for nothing! It's terrible.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
The waste of a day would have been okay by me if the cannula had not been inserted first. Just to make matters worse, when I returned yesterday it took 5 attempts to get the cannula in properly.
@Asylum That sounds very stressful. It is quite painful having this done.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv Certainly not my idea of fun.
@sallypup (22023)
• Moses Lake, Washington
They owe you an apology big time. That is not decent medical care.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It would be very difficult to decide who had been to blame.
@sallypup (22023)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Asylum You're a sweet person.
@Shiva49 (9717)
Sometimes I hear it has never happened before and then we question "Why me of all people?" You have been inconvenienced needlessly - siva
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It is common for people being diagnosed with cancer to think "Why me?", but I never reacted that way. Many people are diagnosed with cancer so I assumed "Why not me?".
@Shiva49 (9717)
@Asylum That is such a positive attitude to face the vicissitudes of life. When I see babies in pain I have prayed please pass some of them to me and as an adult I know that too will soon be water under the bridge - siva
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
Good Monday Morning to you - I have been watching the 499 posts and wondering when 500 would be written - no rush. Hope you are doing well today and that your week ahead will be good.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I was not even aware of how many discussions I had posted. There has not been much to post about lately.
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
@Asylum its okay - we are always on the lookout for your daily news - No news is always Good News my dad would say
@YesWay (3496)
What a waste of a day. I hope at least the coffee was nice....
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
Coffee is always nice.
@YesWay (3496)
@Asylum That's true haha
@CoralLevang (40896)
I am so sorry to hear this. I know the pain of this sh** that you are dealing with. I've had people stick me EIGHT times to get an IV started. Doesn't make us happy campers. HUGS and much love to you.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It took 5 attempts to fit my cannula yesterday, which was a nightmare.
@CoralLevang (40896)
@Asylum I am so sorry. Hugs