Playing in the Woods, Behind Our Home

@kobesbuddy (52923)
East Tawas, Michigan
As a child growing up, my favorite place to venture was into the thick woods, right behind our house. No, it didn't belong to my parents, but every child in the neighborhood, liked to play back in that beautiful forest. It was owned by an elderly couple, who lived in this community all their lives. When my parents built their home in 1958, they bought two large lots from this fella and most of the building supplies, came from the same man's building center. What a blessing, living in a relatively safe town, with wild-life all around us! White-tailed deer, birds, turkeys, squirrels, chipmunks, toads, to name a few The skunks don't count!:(
@vsai2008 (9356)
Really, it is a blessing, you could live your childhood that way, it makes us appreciate little things in life :)
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, we learned to use that beautiful forest, for entertainment! It was great:)
@vsai2008 (9356)
@kobesbuddy I am sure, you must have had great picnics and adventures :)
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@vsai2008 Oh, yes this is such a lovely area to live in, so close to Lake Huron.
A town filled with wildlife, with no skunks, is a mighty fine town for all residents.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Actually, our town isn't filled with wildlife. It's our section of the community, where all these animals live. Yes, we do have skunks, at times
@Platespinner (17047)
We live in a relatively safe neighbourhood as well. The kids have gotten too big to spend a lot of time rambling in the woods, but they still go back there every now again.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Now, my husband likes to ramble through a different woods, during hunting season!:)
@1hopefulman (31692)
@kobesbuddy Well that answers the question I asked.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@1hopefulman Jay is definitely a hunter, but never in this woods.
That must have been wonderful with great memories for you. =)
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, I felt like those woods belonged to me! LOL
Those woods still there?
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, they sure are, but a little bit thinner now.
@Scrapper88 (1332)
While I was growing up; there was a little wooded place behind my grandmothers house that I liked to go visit.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
And when my grandson's lived near a wooded area, they'd play out there, every single day!
@Essjayd (1619)
To me that sounds like the perfect childhood and a lovely place to grow up!
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I enjoyed playing back there, among all those tall trees.
@bunnybon7 (37175)
• Holiday, Florida
yes we have such care free memories from childhood. why we wish we could go back
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
And some days, I wish that I could go back, to relive it.
@bunnybon7 (37175)
• Holiday, Florida
@kobesbuddy everyone does.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@bunnybon7 Being young, free spirited, full of curiosity, I wanted to learn about everything!:)
@dpk262006 (56473)
Nice picture. I suppose it you and your daughter? It was interesting to know about your childhood and how you used to spend it.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Thank you, no this is a picture of me and my oldest granddaughter, Taylor
@dpk262006 (56473)
@kobesbuddy I stand corrected that it is your grand daughter Taylor with you in the picture. She looks sweet. . May God always keep her blessed!
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@dpk262006 Thanks, Taylor is only 19 in this photo, which was taken a couple summers ago.
@1hopefulman (31692)
Nice to have woodland with so many diverse creatures! Did you ever hunt any of the wildlife for food?
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My husband hurts deer, but not in our woods. Instead, he goes way out in the country, on private land.
@1hopefulman (31692)
@kobesbuddy Do you enjoy eating the deer meat?
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@1hopefulman Yes, especially the chops or as ground meat (mixed with a tiny bit of pork).
@Lucky15 (33718)
One of the places i would always love to go is the forest, there is so much in there for me, it makes me breathe more :)
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, it was fresh air, wild-life, beautiful flowers, & scenery wherever I looked!:)
@RubyHawk (28444)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I grew up in the country near a small town. It's wonderful for a child.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We were never afraid, walked everywhere without feeling threatened, the least bit:(
@RubyHawk (28444)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@kobesbuddy We walked everywhere and never thought of any danger. Children today don't have that privilege.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@RubyHawk Even in our small town, kids have to be watch very closely, at this time!:(
That's great! I played in the woods a lot as a kid too. It was a lot of fun. I didn't see the wildlife you did, but I always knew when a skunk was around.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
LOL You made me laugh! Except, skunks around our home, always came around during the night:)
@kobesbuddy I think they do here too. I've only seen one once. We were on our way home from Grandma's and we saw one - alive - on the side of the road. We were very happy it didn't spray us as we passed it. Even though we never saw one otherwise, their distinctive scent let you know they were around.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@just4him Our new neighbor was from Germany. She asked me, 'What is that wild smell?' I ran over into her yard to see what her problem was. I replied, 'That's the scent of a skunk"
@dgobucks226 (13308)
Enjoying the wildlife As this quote says; The wilderness is healing, a therapy for the soul. Nicholas Kristof
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
And Nicholas Kristof wrote a very truthful statement!
@dgobucks226 (13308)
@kobesbuddy He certainly did! I was going to mention the terrific photo, but someone else did. So I sent you and the responder a like
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@dgobucks226 It's just a picture of me and my grand-daughter, Taylor at her graduation picnic.
@moffittjc (44667)
• Gainesville, Florida
I grew up on the outskirts of our city, and was lucky to also have a nice forest behind our property. I practically grew up in those woods, with my brother, neighborhood friends and I always exploring the area! We also liked to build lots of tree forts as well!
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Doing this was the highlight of my life! Climbing trees, building forts, those woods made the best playground, in the entire world!:)
@moffittjc (44667)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy I agree! My friends and I would literally spend the entire day exploring the woods, and our parents would get so mad because they would have to try and track us down in the woods to tell us it was time to come home for dinner. Otherwise, we probably would have just stayed out there all night! lol
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc This sounds so familiar! My mother wouldn't come into the woods, she was afraid of snakes. So, us kids would stay just out of ear range, then claim we didn't here her hollaring:) When it started getting dark, I'd be afraid and head for home!
My father built our house on a double lot. We had the woods behind us and played with the neighborhood kids there all the time. I even had my own little ice skating oasis in the pond, more swamplike, but frozen water nevertheless in the winter. lol iIt was so safe back then that we never had to lock our doors.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@DianneN No, we never locked our doors! We were living in a perfectly safe environment, geared to keep kids happy! And believe me, I was very happy playing in those woods
@kobesbuddy The woods were great then for playing. Now, when our grandkids visit, we have to do tick checks!!!!
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@DianneN Oh, yes and the mosquitoes almost carry a person away!
A blessing all right.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, all the neighborhood kids loved, playing in the forest!
• Guangdong, China
Total jealous of your interesting venture life! You must have a happy childhood life.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I had a beautiful childhood, with so many things I enjoyed each day:)
@kepweng (17784)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
your states looks nice and happy its like a best place to invest work and raise a family
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We enjoy our life here, yes, it's pretty safe to raise kids, in this community:)
Wonderful childhood, mine was like yours.
@kobesbuddy (52923)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My parents never worried about where we were, we felt very safe in this town.