What are your favorite pasta substitutes?

Over the past year I have changed my diet a lot and pasta isn't something that I eat a lot of any longer. The shift was hard at first as I'm Italian-American and we used to have pasta like 2 or 3 times a week at least as a side to our meals if not as the main course. Now it is more like once a month. So, I've tried different substitutes for your typical wheat or other flour-based pastas. My new favorite is spiralized zucchini. It holds its texture and has a mild flavor. It is great in stir-fries or under meatballs and sauce. I also like spaghetti squash. The strands are shorter but they are delicious with some salt and butter on them. Yum! The Miracle Noodles angel hair was not that great in my opinion. The texture just wasn't pleasant and I wouldn't buy them again. I'll stick to fresh veggie-based pasta replacers in the future! What do you eat when you are trying to sub for pasta on your plate?
I often have either pasta, rice, potato or couscous as a side dish. What doctors have told me is to eat smaller portions.
@kobesbuddy (43960)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@marguicha We eat pasta, rice, and potatoes, quite often and love it!:)
My trainer recommends rice or potatoes but not pasta. My husband hates cous cous and that is pasta anyway so I rarely have it and only when he is away on a business trip.
@kobesbuddy (43960)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@NJChicaa My husband shies away from most noodles or spaghetti. He has been gaining too much weight.
I like the spaghetti squash the best. We have used zucchini too. I make a mac and cheese with macaroni and butternut squash that is really tasty. I could leave out the macaroni all together but I prefer to have some macaroni
I've seen a Nigella Lawson recipe for mac and cheese that has either sweet potato or butternut squash. I've been interested in trying it.
@NJChicaa a really tasty cheese sauce makes it all taste good
@kobesbuddy (43960)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I cook either spaghetti squash or summer squash, which both of us love! Then, with Italian meat-sauce and Parmesan cheese over the top.
Yum!
@kobesbuddy (43960)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@NJChicaa I also love these dishes, with mozzarella cheese melted over the top:)
@kobesbuddy yeah we aren't supposed to eat much dairy either so we don't often have cheese in the house.
@inertia4 (27605)
I know what you mean. I am also Italian and pasta is my weakness. And being diabetic it is not good to eat pasta. I love Zucchini. I have that machine that makes spaghetti out of Zucchini. And it is very good. And it cooks real fast. I have thought about getting that miracle noodle myself. Now I guess I will skip it all together. I have tried some of the so called low card pastas. Not too bad but they upset my stomach. I stick with baked chicken, no breading, pork chops and fish. And plenty of veggies.
I don't mind the Miracle Rice. If you rinse it well and cook in chicken or beef broth, it is fine. The noodles, though, just aren't a good substitute for pasta.
@inertia4 (27605)
@NJChicaa Thanks for the heads up on that. I still have pasta once in awhile. After all, being Italian, it is hard to stay away.
@inertia4 same here.
@topffer (33798)
• France
I have never been a great fan of pasta, I eat some maybe once or twice a month. I eat often rice mixed with a few lentils or quinoa, potatoes, bulgur, couscous...
I don't mind quinoa but it isn't something that is in the regular rotation around here. My mother made lentils growing up but without any salt or meat and they were cooked to the consistency of mush. I don't ever want to see another lentil in my life.
@topffer (33798)
• France
@NJChicaa Lol, I can understand that. I do not like lentils that much, but I buy a ready to cook basmati rice+red lentils+various spices in an organic shop, and it is really good.
@Essjayd (1620)
We have a lot of pasta, boiled rice or baked potatoes/ sweet potatoes. I've never bothered about finding a replacement! I just use more veg to bulk it up instead of large portions of pasta and lay off the cream or cheese sauces some of the time. Thankfully I have a very active job and do plenty of sport so I know I can easily burn off my guilty pleasure of mac cheese
That's great!
I used to get a high protein wheat pasta from Performance Bicycles website. That's the only time I really tried to substitute.
I will never sub for pasta,
@m_audrey6788 (13844)
image from google search
I heard a green Fettuccine noodles is healthier and better as a replacement for spaghetti and I put Olive oil some parsely a sprinkle of parmesan cheese with mushrooms tastes so great!
@peachpurple (12851)
I don't eat pasta that often because Asians are used to eating rice or noodles. So, I am having brown rice with side dishes
@amnabas (9949)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I am not a pasta fan but my daughters loves it. So I do provide them pasta treats every week.