Villaneueva Does The Right Thing And He's Apologizing For It?

So doing the right thing is wrong? Mr. Villaneueva did the right thing going out and standing for the Anthem and Flag yet he is apologizing to his teammates because he made them look bad? That is just wrong. To follow the crowd under peer pressure is the problem. The team and all associated with it should have known better than this. Because he stood and honored his fellow veterans the team pressured him to do this. Despite him saying that it was his fault, the truth is that the team wanted redemption. It is disheartening that he ended up doing this rather than the others FROM EVERY TEAM did not have to apologize for their actions. Free speech either goes for all or it goes for none! What do you think?
Steelers offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva explains why he didn't stay with his teammates during the national anthem prior to Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears.
• Riga, Latvia
Totally agree with you.
@RasmaSandra Thanks. I just find it disturbing that the one who stood up for what was right is the one doing the apologizing.
@Bluedoll (17005)
I really didn't understand what this was all about until I read the flag code. There are exceptions in it. It also says, his etiquette is as applied within U.S. jurisdiction. In other countries and places, local etiquette applies. What I found exceptionally interesting was that it is a passed law with pentalty but to date never enforced. This is commendable don't you think so? Thank you for posting this as it helps me understand foreign cultures and what the fuss is all about more fully.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search One means of collecting American flags for disposal. This box was found in a public library. The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag
Thanks @Bluedoll and you're welcome. Here is the code that the NFL has in place for the operations manual. It has been altered by some and is being watered down each year since 2011. Now the penalties have been withdrawn and even some of the interpretations broadened for look holes. "The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."
@topffer (29852)
• France
This guy is what I call a real hypocrite. He will go far in life.
• Dallas, Texas
I could not have said it better. Your logic and good sense shine bright, my friend.
@lookatdesktop What people don't realize is that there is a Rules Book and then there is an Operations Book for the NFL. The Operations Manual is not available to the General Public. In it however is a very clear stance on the Anthem and Flag. You are to stand at attention, hold your helmet in your Left hand and remain silent and respectful during the playing of the National Anthem. Sadly this is being ignored. There are several serious penalties for not following this Policy. Notably this is being ignored.