The Candy Wars Begin

My husband buys candy to hand out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween all by himself. I buy candy for Halloween for trick-or-treaters all by myself. My husband and I have different ideas on what quality Halloween candy happens to be. My husband always buys bags of Dum Dums, those little bitty lollipops. Now, I will admit that some Dum Dums have a flavor that is tasty, but what a cheap, puny thing to hand to a trick-or-treater who comes to our door. I buy what I consider candy of quality. Laffy Taffy, Snickers candy bars, Milky Way candy bars, and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are what I have to offer those trick-or-treaters on Halloween. I place the Dum Dums on the bottom of the huge bowl that holds all the Halloween candy. I then place the quality Halloween candy on top of the Dum Dums. I demand that the Dum Dums be handed out to trick-or-treaters only if we have run out of the good stuff. I make sure we never run out of the good stuff. All those leftover Dum Dums are enjoyed for many months by my husband, all by himself. Clever man. Photo: Cheap, puny Dum Dums
lol lol IL l ike dum dums lol and liorice tooi lol b ut when we handedout trick or trea candyI got mand ms'snickers, mars bars, all the top notch stuff and licorioce wshiops for the kids wholoved lico rioce lol lol
I hand out red licorice a lot. I love red licorice. Yes, I want to hand out something that is better than a Dum Dum lollipop.
We usually give out quality suckers to the little ones, or the really big ones-to teach them a lesson politely. Otherwise the children get a little chocolate bar and a couple of packs of rockets candy-those I hate, but kids love them.
Oh yes, I have handed out the rockets candy too, and the kids like those.
@Corbin5 Remember the nerds? Those were just the worst candy in the world I think! I remember if our son got a box of them on top of a birthday gift we'd quickly try to hide it because they were so small they were bound to end up ground into the carpet or stuck to the floor in the kitchen.
@Lucky15 (33718)
So, if i knock on your door, i will be getting sweet treats from you and your husband
Yes, you will be getting the quality treats, if you are in costume that is!!!
@Lucky15 (33718)
@Corbin5 I should be thinking of what will it be
@Lucky15 A superhero!!!!
@YrNemo (14398)
He is smart OK, buying something that he could eat the leftover. I often just get anything available from the store.
He loves those things. Not sure why, but he does.
@YrNemo (14398)
@Corbin5 Guess it is something related to his childhood. Some of my relatives, in their 60s now, still search for certain candies to buy because when they were younger, they did not have a chance to eat lots of them. Make sense to you?
@YrNemo Yes, I love the Caramel Creams that we called "Bulls Eyes" as kids. Stores still sell those, and when I eat them, I do feel like a kid again.
• Preston, England
I used to eat most of the candy my mum got in for trick or treaters myself
We tried that too. Mom hid it. We were free to roam back in the day and came home with so much candy. Not good for our teeth, that's for sure.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 my mum never noticed as she put out so much candy she could have fed a zombie horde with it
We only buy the good full size candy like Hershey bars, Kit Kat, Twix, Reese's Peamut Butter Cups, and M&Ms. We usually eat all the leftovers, and leftovers there are. Right now, we have Dum Dums, Tootsie Roll Pops, and M&Ms in the house for the grandkids. I often catch my hubs with a handful of M&Ms. lol
You have the really good stuff. We usually have around 80 kids stop by and I am a 3-per-kid giver. Just one will not do.
@Corbin5 80 kids is a lot!!! Wow! Some years we have 12 kids, some years none. We figure it's better to be prepared, and have to enjoy what is left. Btw, I forgot Snickers, my favorite!
My bank gives out those cheap, puny Dum Dums. I don't take them because I'm on a diet and I don't need them. Enjoy handing out your quality candy bars.
We do have a great time on Halloween, and Molly just gets worn out.
@Corbin5 Does she bark at everyone who comes to the door?
@just4him No, she used to, but now that she is older, she just wiggles.
He knows what he wants. Kids do not go around for tricks and treats here, so candies are not something we buy, but we buy chocolate, even too much chocolate.
I do love the chocolate candies, and I always hope that a few will be left at the end of the evening just for me.
@Corbin5 I love everything with chocolate.
@LadyDuck Me too. Chocolate is such a wonderful thing!!
@Raelove (17418)
• Saco, Maine
Since roughly 1999, I've never had the pleasure of handing out any candy on Halloween. That's mainly because I lived in remote areas that were off-limits, which was halfway down a dirt lane marked 'Private.' It wasn't really, but even those dark foreboding woodsy roads were too scary for Trick-or-Treaters. How's that for irony...on a night to be scared, do NOT go down a scary road! LOL That said, I miss handing out candy. It was so much fun watching the smaller more timid kids get their courage up and say "Trick or Treat." I can't remember now what kind of candy I bought either, but I do know that there was always something that I liked in case I didn't use it all up. You're lucky to still be able to do this. I miss it...
My husband and our son have a contest on Halloween. My son tallies the number of kids who stop by his house and my husband tallies the kids who stop by our house. We won with 84 kids last year. The kids display the most impeccable manners when candy is given to them. Such a joy they are.
@Raelove (17418)
• Saco, Maine
@Corbin5 Back when I did hand candy out, I never had a bad moment with any kids. Even the older ones were always polite. I so enjoyed doing that. Was just as much fun for me as it was for them!
@Raelove Yes, we are delighted the older ones have some good manners too. It warms the heart when young ones are courteous.
@ilocosboy (35847)
At the end of the day, its the trick-or-treaters will be the winners from you both he he.
Yes, and we love seeing the kids in their costumes. All are accompanied by their parents, and the children are so polite.
@ilocosboy (35847)
Wow, its going to be a happy feast
@ilocosboy Yes, Halloween means a lot of good eating!!!
We always buy pops for kids, and all different chocolates, and other candys (air heads, swedish fish, sour patch etc). We always give 3-4 pieces to each kid. More if we know them like family and friends kids.
Your place is the go-to place for Halloween candy that is the good stuff!!!
@Corbin5 yeah. Everyone who grew up living here would make our house their first stop cause they knew they'd get decent candy and alot of it . My old neighbor even use to say in beginning of october that she couldnt wait til halloween to come so she could stop in for it We even give the free junior frosty coupons from wendys to the 6months - 2 year old kids. Who cant really have candy.
@Courtlynn Oh, my. Your house was the place to go, my friend!!!
@Phelly02 (467)
We don't have the trick or treat in our country but I would love to knock in your door and eat those candies. Since I love candies, I don't care if there cheap or not.
I would love for you to knock on our door too. You could wear a superhero costume!!!
@Phelly02 (467)
@Corbin5 hahah, that would be nice, I need to buy the spiderman costume then, since he is my favorite :)
I've lived here 20 years and never had a trick or treater. Then again from 1997 to 2005 I'd always spend halloween with mom, she was alone all the time and I don't trust the teens she'd always get after 8pm. Mom always liked to give things like the teeny bags of jelly beans or m&ms and stuff like that. Since I don't eat candy I wouldn't even know which were the good vs bad.
We have around 80 kids every Halloween. They are all so grateful and so polite. We love seeing that.
People here don't do halloween that much but they do end up in the cemeteries on November 1st to have a meal with their ancestors @Corbin5 some actually go to Juarez for that.
@rebelann That is so interesting, my friend. I did not know about this.
Deborah, I think that what you both buy for trick or treaters are good. I like what you bought and also what your husband bought, but, that is good that he has left overs for him to eat.
I have to watch him carefully so that he does not hand out those Dum Dums. He can be sneaky.
@Corbin5 Maybe he will use Molly to hand them out so watch both him and Molly.
@fly802 (1517)
Every time I buy candy to give someone else, but unfortunately, they are enjoyed by me.
Same happens with me. I buy cookies for my elderly dad each week, and my husband has to hide them in his home office so that I do not eat them all.
@fly802 (1517)
@Corbin5 I can find out wherever the candy is hidden.It seems to me they are calling me!
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Small candies like that should be handed out by the handful, not just one per person. I try to avoid handing out candy anymore. My kids are grown and 90% of the time my husband has a shift on that day whether it be day shift til 7pm or night shift starting at 7pm. Last year he insisted we give out candy so I stepped back and told him it was all on him. I've never been big on Halloween... but love the candy... too much, which is why I don't want any left over.
My husband loves Halloween, me not so much. He keeps a tally of how many kids stop by. He does the majority of the handing out, thank goodness.
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Corbin5 Our trick-or-treater numbers have been slowly declining over the years. One of the reasons I stopped doing it.
@patgalca I love the fact that all parents accompany their children. The wait on the sidewalk for their children.
@YesWay (3446)
If I tried to buy anything for Halloween, my husband would just end up eating the lot
I hide the Halloween candy from my husband or he gets into it and back to the store I must go.
@YesWay (3446)
@Corbin5 I hide so much from my husband, I'm running out of hiding spaces!!
I was never a fan of dum dums But that is smart because the leftovers he can/will enjoy them. I usually buy the fun sized bars. Not sure which kind but I think we'll go with Twix, Kit Kat, Snickers and maybe Skittles.
I do like the blueberry Dum Dums, but I do end up with a blue mouth.
@Corbin5 I think I always liked the mystery ones! I also like the Mystery white ones in Airheads? Or something I forget!
@alberello75 (18427)
• Genova, Italy
Since a decade, the Halloween celebration has become popular in Italy as well. The day before October 31, often my mother and I buy a candy confection, to be distributed to children. I have to say, it's very funny
I love seeing the kids too!!!
@alberello75 (18427)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Very good
@WriterAI (5229)
• Bulgaria
Thank you for this fresh information. You really reminded me about Halloween. We, Bulgarians, mark this holiday too recently after our connections with the US became closer. I have a special costume that I dress on this day. I mark Halloween with pleasure. So we are already waiting to Halloween together.
Halloween really is a lot of fun. So glad you get to enjoy it too.
@WriterAI (5229)
• Bulgaria
@Corbin5 It's a very colorful day to me.