Thank god......the expression analysis

@vandana7 (65123)
Ok..when something happens that we are pleased or relieved about... We say "thank god"...now that is so childish..it is like elders telling a child thank god. Under normal circumstances should it be interpreted as the person experiencing that relief asking others to thank god for whatever is the good thing that happened? That sounds ominous...I mean, it is like, you thank god, for this, otherwise, I would have given you a hard punch on your nose... Hmmm..I don't mind thanking god ..saves my bank balance.
We use a lot of words and expressions which are only a manner of speaking but not always meant literally. This is the same in all languages. They make conversations flow smoothly. If you try to get to the bottom of everything people say, you won't get far in a discussion.
@vandana7 (65123)
I know...I just came up with this for fun. lol
@vandana7 I didn't notice this and don't like it. I don't want to be seen answering posts in a serious way which are meant to be funny.
@vandana7 (65123)
@MALUSE I should have used some emojis I suppose...never mind. :)
I say a lot of "Thank God," when things go right. Gotta thank someone, so might as well be God.
@vandana7 (65123)
If you'd say thank you god, it makes sense. If you said thanks god, that too. But when you say thank god, you seem to be asking others to thank god...Right? LOL.
@vandana7 Usually, a "Thank God," is just for the individual here. It is a personal way of thanking God and does not mean others should do the same.
@vandana7 (65123)
@Corbin5 .. why do we then eat away "you" between "thank" and "god". I think we continue to ape our parents..they told us to thank god, when something good happened, so we tell ourselves the instructions of our parents ..like split personality..lol
@ilocosboy (34325)
I think its not ominous after all, because its our way of expressing satisfaction because of that good thing happened. Expression is what we felt and not because a hard punch will hit our face if we didn't say it.
@vandana7 (65123)
No no...If the rain stops, and I say thank god, in front of my friend, it is like telling friend you thank god, otherwise..there will be dire consequences...
@ilocosboy (34325)
@vandana7 its not only the case, for example you are standing in front of the road and a speeding almost hit you, you say "thank God", its not really a dire consequences another example is when someone win sports game, he/she will express "thank God." and when I lay down my back in my bed at night and go to sleep I will say "thank God" for the day. It was not an ominous, I believe.
• Japan
I believe in God and I do thank Him but I don't use that expression casually.
@vandana7 (65123)
It just seem to count naturally...
@MALUSE is right, there are so many expressions we use that are a way of speaking. I know a very colorful ones in Italian, it's a saying and not meant literally.
@kepweng (15230)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
nice observation a LOT of people saying it including me but not too much a religious
@hora_fugit (5442)
That is a child refusing to learn proper sentence formation. We managed to keep that stubbornness alive!