How many of you that moved away from your family home have visited it from time to time?

Hi, I used to go visit my first family home I lived in sat in my car looking at it wondering who lives in it now. I would have liked to go to the door and knock on it and meet the people that live there now. How many of you have gone up to the door and when someone answered you introduced yourself and got to go in and see the changes they made. How many of you felt horrible that you saw how the place looks now?
@kepweng (16794)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i want to leave our home the problem is im unemployed so i have no choice to stand in my own feet
I am sorry miss K and hope it all works out.
I never did, I do not live anymore in the same country.
ok Anna.That is fine.
We, my siblings and I, sold the family home a couple years ago. I haven't been by it to see it since it was sold. However, after my parents sold my grandmother's home, I did go by there and introduce myself and did get a look at what they did to it inside. It was very nice. I've also seen the back yard, which they enclosed and really did up nice with flower gardens all around. They've done a beautiful job with the house.
Valerie, while looking around your grandmother's home that belongs to others now did you think of memories you had there?
@Hannihar It was different to see someone else's belongings in my grandmother's home. They built that home and were one of the first ones on that block. Even though someone else lives there now, it will always be my grandmother's home. It wasn't my grandfather's home, though he absolutely lived there. He was a gambler and the bank wouldn't allow him to sign the paperwork, fearing he would gamble the house away.
@just4him Valerie, I can understand how the bank would not let your grandfather sign. That must have been hard on her married to a gambler. Did he gamble all his life and did she hide her money so he could not get to it? I understand the memories and how you can look at it as always being your grandmother's home.
@heyheyla (210)
• Aleppo, Syria
i do it once a year . the place always looks the same.
heyhey, do you ever go knock on the door and explain who you are and ask if you can come in and see how it looks now?
@heyheyla (210)
• Aleppo, Syria
@Hannihar no I'll never do that.. theyll think I'm a insurance salesman
@heyheyla Why would they think you are an insurance salesman? Have you tried knocking on doors and that is what people thought?
I have lived in the same Chicago suburb for most of my life, leaving just for college. We sold the family home, and it was rehabbed by the buyer. It looks wonderful now.
Deborah, so you are from Chicago. I am from Minneapolis and I was not that far from you. What kind of rehab is there now? I am glad it looks wonderful.
@Hannihar I live in a far west Chicago suburb. No rooms were added to the house, and the shape of the house is exactly the same. However, new siding, new landscaping, and all the rooms of the house being gutted and redone beautifully makes for a very nice home. A young family now lives in the home, and that is what my dad wanted to happen.
@Corbin5 Deborah, I have met a lot of people here from Chicago and I loved to visit there too. As a matter of fact I think it was when I moved to Israel I went from Minneapolis to Chicago to take the flight directly to Israel from there. My doctor is from Chicago. I am glad that you dad is happy who lives there now.
@ilocosboy (34377)
I did not felt horrible no matter how the look is, it was always nostalgic for me.
ilocosboy, I understand that.
@Hannihar ok then ilocosboy and that is good that you understand it.
I've driven by my old house, but now it's all gone. Someone built condos on the land where my father had built our pretty house. Now I only have the memories.
Dianne, I am so sorry it is gone now and yes memories can be nice too. My father had my first house I lived in. What do you mean you drove your old house? Did you drive it to another place and put it there or what?