Duct Tape to the Rescue

My husband was the regional director of public affairs for the U.S. Department of Labor for 37 years. He worked in the city of Chicago. Cal's was a bar in the city of Chicago that was quite famous. On Friday's, my husband would always stop by Cal's to visit with friends and colleagues after work. Cal's popularity was due to the fact that no matter your lot in life, you were welcome at Cal's. If you were a millionaire, or if you were homeless, you were always welcome at Cal's. Cal's was closed a few years ago when the owner retired. A friend gave my husband a Cal's T-Shirt as a gift. I noticed that my husband came home from the dog park today with a piece of duct tape over one of the words on the shirt. He had covered up a really bad word, the F-word, so as not to offend others. I told him I would sew a very-well-done black patch over that bad word, but like most guys, he prefers the duct tape..
That piece of duct tape totally works and gives the shirt some extra personality ! Cal's must've been a cool place in its time - how sad it closed!
@topffer (35525)
• France
What makes a good bar is the personality of the owner/barman, and they cannot be replaced without losing half of their clientele. This t-shirt looks great, it was certainly a great bar.
Yes, Cal's was the place to befriend people from all walks of life.
@topffer It really was. Everyone was welcomed at Cal's. Friends from all walks of life were made at Cal's.
That was very respectful of your husband. You got a good man, a keeper.
Yes, he is a good guy. I will keep him.
@alberello75 (18351)
• Genova, Italy
By now, I believe that language "vulgar", it is fashionable among young people (in my opinion also a bit rude!). Obviously a t-shirt of that type, with that word, I find it unsuitable for a person like your husband.
I have to pass on this.Not my thing or type.too busy.But if he likes it.Let it be
@alberello75 (18351)
• Genova, Italy
@amadeo How to say: Everyone, has his personal tastes
Well, he did cover up the bad word, so that others would not take offense. I give him credit for that.
@crossbones27 (20780)
• Redlands, California
How funny and duct tape works great for holes in your jeans also. Get a few more uses out of them anyway and looks so cool.
Duct tape does give one's attire an industrial look.
• Redlands, California
@Corbin5 Yes, how us poor folks stay fashionable.
That was a good use for the duct tape. And glad your husband covered it up.
Oh yes, he is very concerned about being proper. He loves the shirt, but no way would he walk around with that word on the shirt.
One can do a lot with a simple piece of duct tape.
Yes, duct tape to the rescue!!!
There is very few things duct tape can't fix.
I love duct tape myself. I have pink duct tape!!
Well I see nothing wrong with the duct tape. Love the T-shirt. I think bars like that mean so much to some neighborhoods too bad this closed.
Yes, making everyone welcome is key to having a friendly face to meet so my different people. The duct tape is a point of interest, I would think.
A Very admirable thing for him to do! I would have been offended had I seen the word as is not my favorite word in the English language. I didn't even notice the duct tape, so that is good covering it up on his part! If I had a husband, I would attempt to sew on a black patch, also! My dad would have worn duct tape, too! Must be something with males lol!
Yes, that duct tape definitely is a guy thing!!!
@Corbin5 I wonder why things such as duct tape are such guy thigs? I know as a woman I would not think to put duct tape on it. I wonder if it comes off easily as you will have to wash it sometimes? I wouldn't want to imagine the mess in the washing machine if he didn't take it off the shirt before putting it in the laundry? Or won't it cause a mess?
@Marty1 Well, we both do our own laundry, so we will see if the duct tape stays put. I have pink duct tape for myself.
@topffer (35525)
• France
Duct tape is man's best friend. It makes me remember that I have to buy some black duct tape.
Duct tape is a miracle tape, for sure!!!
@topffer Do you also need to cover up some bad words on your shirts?
@AliCanary (1851)
That was thoughtful of him. I can actually see the lettering through the tape, strangely.
In the light of day, I cannot see the word. No one gets that up close and personal with the shirt, so all is well.
@AliCanary (1851)
@Corbin5 - I think it's just the light in the picture. It's amazing how much a flash will reveal!
I don't know, if people don't like it they don't have to look at it. I'd leave it, just don't let him wear it when he goes to visit the Pope
Yes, if the Pope invites him to visit, that shirt has to stay at home!!
@DeborahDiane (22969)
• Laguna Woods, California
@Corbin5 - Your husband was very smart. Is there anything we can't do with a little duct tape?! LOL
Yes, I wish he had used black duct tape, but he prefers the industrial gray. A guy thing for sure.
• Laguna Woods, California
Its just the f word? Noone around here would cover it up. Not even old women or men. People here wear stuff with "bad language" on it often. But the oatch may be better as it wont fall off
Well, my husband would not want to offend anyone with a word like that. I guess it depends on the area in which a person lives. Many here would be offended by that word.
@Corbin5 yeah, not many are offended from it here, or they just don't say anything. But to me its just another word.
Duct tape does fix almost anything. It's currently holding cardboard on part of my garage door so it won't bend.
So glad to hear that duct tape has come to the rescue for you too. I love that stuff.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
That reminds me of a joke. Silence is golden Duct tape is silver! Nice looking shirt but shame that Cal's closed down!
Loved that joke, as did my husband!! Yes, it was in business for 65 years. It was the site of a terrorist plot too.
The feds won’t say which downtown bar a suburban teen wanted to blow up Friday night — but Mike Feirstein is convinced it was his.
@bluesa (14039)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Lol, I am loving the strategically placed duct tape, it looks neat too. It is so nice your husband is thoughtful like that. :)
Gives my husband a rather industrial look.
Duct tape came in very handy - but I can still see the word.
Well, from a distance the word is difficult to see, so the tape works.
That is funny he prefers duct tape but nice that he cares to cover it up. My late husband always wore the most inappropriate shirts to get togethers.
Yes, my husband goes to great lengths not to offend others. I appreciate that.
@quantum2020 (9759)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I could hardly notice the duct tape at first glance. It´s not a big word. It´s good that your husband covered that bad word. It will keep him safe from unwanted vibes
Oh yes, he would never let a word like that be seen by others.