My Packed Lunch

@sishy7 (27204)
Australia
# 86 Do you prepare your own lunch at home and bring it to be eaten somewhere else like at work or school? I do most of the times. It saves me time, money and the need to make increasingly hard decisions of ‘what should I get for lunch?’ every single day at work… I usually just bring sandwiches because they are easy to prepare, the varieties are endless, and very convenient to eat. But sometimes there are some left-over from dinner that would make a good packed lunch. This beef and broccoli stir-fry was my non-sandwich lunch packed from left-over of the previous dinner. It is served with steamed white rice. All packed in a single microwavable plastic container, the food is ready to be quickly heated up before eating…
@vandana7 (57466)
You all eat rice? Blink...I thought you all ate only bread...
@sishy7 (27204)
No, we eat all kinds of rice a lot too, even biryani...
@pradab (503)
@sishy7 what kind of rice do you eat?
@sishy7 (27204)
@pradab You name it, I probably ate it...
• Lakewood, Colorado
Looks so very tasty Sishy! This is your lunch is it?
@sishy7 (27204)
Thanks! Yes, it was my lunch...
@yugocean (4488)
@sishy7 so there is about rice too, I too had almost all types of rice, mostly Basmati types of rice.
@sishy7 (27204)
@yugocean I like basmati, I've tried them in biryani dishes... The steamed rice in the picture is not from basmati though. It used jasmine rice from Thailand.
Looks very delicious and healthy. I usually buy food but I'll make breakfast!
@sishy7 (27204)
I just learned that broccoli actually contains vitamin C three times more than an orange...
@pradab (503)
@sishy7 nice info
@sishy7 Wow thats even better. I am not a fan of broccoli but I should start liking it then!
When I worked outside of my home I did bring lunch with me, usually a sandwich since as you said it's easy and good! =)
@sishy7 (27204)
Yes, and I can make it any which way I'd like too... So many choices for the bread and the fillings...
I always brought my lunch to school when I taught. I could eat at my desk and work.
@sishy7 (27204)
Exactly! I eat at my desk too sometimes while continue working... It's convenient not having to go out just to get lunch or to eat out...
@YrNemo (8433)
I always settle for peanut sandwich, egg sandwich, or a few muesli bars...
@sishy7 (27204)
Muesli bars make a good packed lunch too... My kids often bring some to school along with some slow-energy-releasing milk drink... The stuff is supposed to make you full all day...
@YrNemo (8433)
@sishy7 The pity they didn't feel full through the night too, so that you wouldn't have to worry about cooking the dinner .
@sishy7 (27204)
@YrNemo That would be asking too much from the super food - all just so that I can carry on with my laziness...
@YesWay (3498)
Yes husband and I both take sandwiches to work. It saves so much money
@sishy7 (27204)
Exactly! And I like not having to think what to get for lunch...
@YesWay (3498)
@sishy7 Ah yes that is another bonus!
@pradab (503)
Never packed my lunch for work or school.. it's a habit that I have never inculcated..I guess it is good for your stomach health since you can be sure of the hygiene involved in preparation of the food.
@sishy7 (27204)
Yes, it's better all around... You should do it especially if you work or go to school every day... Or even if you're on a once in a while all day outing...
@pradab (503)
@sishy7 sound advice thank you
@sishy7 (27204)
@pradab No worries... By the way, when are you going to post a discussion?
@LilyBeBack (1670)
Your packed lunch looks DELICIOUS In the past I've always had the best intentions, but never been organised enough to have a packed lunch ready every day... I will do in future though, I have a tendency to convince myself that calories consumed outside my house don't count, and it's that kind of thinking that's stopping me from losing weight
@sishy7 (27204)
Silly girl, of course they count! But I'm telling you, you do look like you've lost so much weight in that new avatar of you and Leonard... I can see it, even if I have to keep tilting my head to convince myself...
@sishy7 That's very kind but your eyes deceive you, I've put 2.5 stone on since Leonard born
@pradab (503)
Good decisions
@kobesbuddy (19399)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yummy! I use to pack my lunch for work, every day:)
@sishy7 (27204)
To me, at least, whatever I pack for lunch always tastes good at lunch time even if it's some leftover from dinner the night before...
@kobesbuddy (19399)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@sishy7 My husband use to do that and some of the other workers got upset. They said it smelled so good, but they had to eat a cold, bologna sandwich! LOL
@ridingbet (37876)
mmm, your packed lunch looks yummy. i always ask my students if they bring their packed lunch along. i advise them to, because meals in the canteen are so expensive even if priced as students meals.
@sishy7 (27204)
You always have wise advice for your students...
@ridingbet (37876)
@sishy7 i have to allow them to bring their packed lunch because their parents or benefactors might not have enough money to give the students their allowances for the day. i have some students too, who skip lunch because they have no money to buy food
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Looks like a tasty lunch, and no special effort required to prepare, if you don't mind the same menu as you had for dinner the day before...
@sishy7 (27204)
I don't mind, but I know what you mean because my kids won't have such... They'd rather go hungry by skipping lunch instead...
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@sishy7 Kids are the same the world over, it seems.
@prashu228 (22826)
Yes i take home cooked food . Your lunch is interesting. Best use of leftovers
@sishy7 (27204)
It's a kind of left-overs that tastes as good as when it's freshly made...
My lunches, when I have them, are either at home, or from out. But then i don't work outside of the home to need to pack one.
@sishy7 (27204)
Packed lunch is good to have for some all day outings too...
@sishy7 maybe but when we go out we get food from out
@sishy7 (27204)
@Courtlynn The only thing I can think of now is a picnic... Usually people pack some food from home to take on a picnic... But yeah, I guess it's also easy enough to get some take out and bring it to eat at a picnic setting...
You could also have a beef and broccoli sandwich . This is my kind of meal (I would eat it for breakfast!) - rice, meat, and veggie - perfect! So will you bring a fork or chopsticks to work?
@sishy7 (27204)
That came with a fork, of course, I just didn't include it in my picture... I'm hopeless with chopsticks... I don't even eat noodles or sushi with chopsticks.
@sishy7 I can't get my kids to eat with chopsticks . .. they know where to find the forks .
@sishy7 (27204)
@much2say My kids are experts with chopsticks... I don't know how they learned it... Certainly not from me, probably from YouTube...
@salonga (27965)
I also pack my own lunch when I still work. I have always loved my own cooking.
@sishy7 (27204)
I don't do much of my own cooking, but I'm good in packing left-overs from dinner that my husband cooks the night before... I can make my own sandwiches though...
@salonga (27965)
@sishy7 You are lucky you have a husband who could cook.
@sishy7 (27204)
@salonga Yes, I am. He enjoys cooking though, so it works out well for us.
@vsai2008 (7630)
That looks good, food from home is always better :)
@sishy7 (27204)
Thanks! Yes, they're great! Especially when it's home-cooked...
@vsai2008 (7630)
@sishy7 (27204)
@vsai2008 Thank you! You too!
@cahaya1983 (9415)
That looks so yummy! I'm at home most days of the week, so I obviously don't need to pack my lunch I think it's a good habit, though. Healthy for the body and pocket.
@pradab (503)
A home maker the least stressful of all obs...you are solucky
@sishy7 (27204)
@cahaya1983 That's right! And I really like not having to decide what to get for lunch every day at work...
@pradab It's more like a different type of stress, I guess. I work from home so I have that to do, as well. But the eating at home part sure is a bonus!
@crossbones27 (15117)
• Redlands, California
Looks good, something about rice, beef and broccoli that just go so well together.
@sishy7 (27204)
They sure do... They make a good packed lunch too...
• Redlands, California
@sishy7 Indeed.
The lunch you will have sounds very good. At work I only had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. A lot of people brought me food to.
@sishy7 (27204)
Yes, I really liked that lunch I brought that day... It's different than what I usually have... I normally have just sandwiches too.