Shall We Dance?

Riga, Latvia
This is the name of one of the movies I love the best that stars actor Richard Gere, who was born on August 31, 1949 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I know that if this handsome actor came forth and asked me, “Shall we dance?” I would be on my feet in a second. He has starred in such popular movies like “Pretty Woman”, “An Officer and a Gentleman” and “Chicago”. I know that “Pretty Woman” despite the prostitute story reminded me of a modern day Cinderella story and by the end of the movie when the character Gere was portraying came after Julie Roberts’ character I was both crying and cheering. It’s a real feel good movie with a touch of comedy and romance. Gere spent his childhood in Syracuse, New York and went to the University of Massachusetts at Amherst on a gymnastics scholarship. Now let’s take a pause here just suppose Gere hadn’t left school to pursue a career in the theater suppose he had decided to be an Olympic gymnast. Hollywood would have been the loser because this handsome guy is some actor. I guess fate pointed him in the right direction. His first roles on the big screen included “Looking for Mr. Goodbar” with Diane Keaton in 1977 and “Days of Heaven” with Brooke Adams and Sam Shepard in 1978. He got his reputation as a sex symbol when he took the role of male escort Julian Kaye in “American Gigolo”. This made me think of another role where an actor could give you heart palpitations and that was Tom Cruise in “Cocktail”. Now imagine ladies how you would feel going out with Gere as he was in the role of the male escort and walking into a bar where the bartender was Cruise in his role. I think I might possibly not have survived that night but I would’ve gone with a huge smile on my face. His next role was in the very successful movie “An Officer and a Gentleman” with Debra Winger. This movie brought us the very lovely song “Up Where We Belong” which won the Oscar for Best Original Song. Then came the movie that I always rave about “Pretty Woman” in 1990. That same year Gere also portrayed a crooked cop in the thriller “Internal Affairs” The team of Roberts and Gere came together again in 1999 in “Runaway Bride”. I don’t think they quite had the same magic as previously but I did enjoy the movie. Gere went on to star in the musical “Chicago” playing a slick lawyer named Billy Flynn. For this movie he received a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. In 2002 he starred in “Unfaithful” with Diane Lane and Olive Martinez and in 2004 “Shall We Dance?” with Jennifer Lopez and Susan Sarandon. When he’s not on the silver screen Gere has become known for his advocacy work for human rights in Tibet and for AIDS awareness. From his second marriage to the former Law & Order actress Carey Lowell he has one son, Homer. It doesn’t matter that Gere just turned 68 because he still remains handsome and sexy. How many Richard Gere fans out there? What is your favorite movie?
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Try ad-free for 3 months Loading... Sign up by October 31st
I've always been a fan of Richard Gere and although I liked Shall We Dance I'd have to say Pretty Woman is my favorite
• Riga, Latvia
I can watch Pretty Woman over and over again @Marilynda1225
@poehere (17717)
• French Polynesia
He is a great actor and I do like his movies.
Gere is 68? How time flies. I have few favorite actors but I liked him in Looking for Mr. Goodbar and predicted he would become a big star.
I do not watch movies like that. I watch adventure and action movies.
A great actor. I really liked him in "Pretty Woman" and "An Officer And a Gentleman"