October Started with an Autumn Festival

Chestnuts Roasting
Switzerland
October has started with a drizzle and a gloomy sky, not cold but humid. My mood was not the best, we decided anyway to reach the neighbors at a local Fall festival. We had a wine tasting, while chestnuts roasted on an open fire, were offered at the guests. October is the second month of Autumn. The gemstone is the Opal and the flower the Calendula. The last day of October, it's Halloween, surely the most popular holiday among the kids. Albert Camus wrote: "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." Do you like Autumn and the month of October? Anything planned for this month?
@vandana7 (57493)
Hopefully, case papers are filed in time...lol I am, for now, concentrating on the case, as in December, it would be medical insurance that will take up much of my time. February donations, and in March, once aunt leaves for the US, take up some serious repairs to home before our summers which can be blisteringly hot. Lots of repairs needed. My tax papers have not yet been cleared by tax authorities. I filed on 1st August, and it is 1st October. I know it is too early to panic, but if scrutiny comes at this time, I have had it..I pray to god that it should not be in this year.
Good luck for your taxes, I hope you may soon get confirmation that everything is fine.
@vandana7 We have not changed our medical insurance, we are very happy with them and my husband has so many doctors appointments that I did not want to have more things to follow.
@vandana7 (57493)
@LadyDuck .. This year I want to do it, because I am 58..next year it would be cutting it too fine. The point is back then, when I started buying medical insurances, many of the new things that present insurers offer were not there, like there are sub limits within the overall coverage. That forced us to buy more policies and from different providers. Now I am consolidating them under one roof so that whoever is going to look after me doesn't have to run around. This means I do lose some no claim bonuses...that is why now, when the health is still ok...so that in three years, I become eligible for no claim bonuses on the new ones.
Love that Albert Camus's quote.
I love this quote too and it is so true. The leaves are beautiful before falling.
• , New York
@LadyDuck the colors are spectacular.
@chooseyourmissy1234 They are, I love to see the leaves on the ground, it's pleasant to walk on them.
My husband gave me a beautiful ring with an opal in the center and diamonds on the side. It was a lovely gift for my October birthday. Glad you got to enjoy a bit of autumn.
Is your birthday coming soon? The Opal is a beautiful stone, your husband gave you a perfect gift.
@LadyDuck No, my birthday is October 27, so I have a wait ahead of me. Sort of a Halloween baby, I was.
@Corbin5 Oh, so you are not a Balance but a Scorpio, a water sign like me. I am Pisces.
I am a big fan of Albert Camus though have not read him in years. I loved all his books that I read. i love the quote! I am thinking of researching him and find out a bit more as i am looking for a book by him next time I go to the library! i love autumn as it is a beautiful season where it is starting to get cold but not quite yet! Not too warm either . i love the leaves the best as I saw some trees that turned colors on Thursday and Friday when I was out, and it gave me a good feeling inside!
I also love Albert Camus, I want to take out one of his books and read it. I love Fall, it's the perfect weather. How is Onyx? I hope he is enjoying his days.
@LadyDuck I always loved his existentialism. I used to be big in that philosophy. I just recently got a Jack Kerouk book of On the road which i am looking forward to reading as I hear a lot of how great the book is. Have you ever read that book? Onyx is doing super! He loves to play awhile then take a nap and then sleep again! He goes to bed in our bed earlier than I do ! he goes around a little after 4 pm as he has to have his wet food first for dinner. He is a big eater and begs for wet food all day when he should only have one tablespoon twice a day which he gets! He is in our bed asleep now!
@Marty1 I have not read "On the Road", but I write down the title, I could check if they have a copy at the library. I am glad that Onyx is a happy kitty.
We don't do much to celebrate the month. Only a few birthdays, my daughter's birthday is the first one we celebrate. Halloween isn't much to celebrate even though the kids love it. I make Christmas a more special time to celebrate.
We do not celebrate Halloween in this part of the world and not even Thanksgiving, until Christmas there are no major celebrations.
@LadyDuck We do have a pumpkin and mums set out on the doorsteps. Other than that, there are no other decorations. I shake my head when I see people going overboard with decorating for Halloween.
@ElusiveButterfly Some people put outside some pumpkins, they are not wasted anyway, because after the celebration they are consumed.
I do enjoy this time of year. Next weekend is Thanksgiving here in Canada so I always look forward to that. Will be taking a few road trips to see the many colorful leaves. It is a beautiful time of year. It is what follows Autumn that I don't like.
I forgot that you celebrate the Thanksgiving in October in Canada, I think it's an important celebration. The colours of the leaves are beautiful now.
@LadyDuck yes it is. I like having it this time of year.
• , New York
Winter is rough
I do love Autumn. And what a great quote. Though our leaves are almost all gone now
I am sorry your leaves are gone, here they are changing colour. If the warm weather stays for some more days they will all be golden and red.
@LadyDuck our fall always seems very short
@paigea It seems very short here also, sometimes September is still hot and the cold may come early in October.
I do like the month of October. =) My husband, son, sister, niece, and nephew all have birthday's this month. It's cooler weather wise too.
Oh goodness, you have a lot of celebration during this month. My brother was born in October.
• , New York
My daughter, and niece both have birthdays in October two days apart.
@LadyDuck Yes we do! =)
Yes I love October as today is the birthday of my oldest daughter and I do like that weather gets cooler. Halloween is fun with the grandkids
Happy Birthday to your daughter. We had a little sun later in the afternoon, the smell of chestnuts has filled the air, it smells like Autumn.
Autumn is my favorites.first as you know we are heading off to OK.I love to travel more.But my health issues is limits to my traveling. I want to go back to Italy one more time.But Mike does not feel right in case anything happen while over there?
I know you love to travel Alfredo, it's the same for me and we are not traveling from a long time now. Mike is right, if something happens while you are in Italy the hospital there are not very good.
@hostessman (7173)
• Tucson, Arizona
i love autumn and it is whatever comes along we will do
It's my favorite season, still warm, great colors and with nice celebrations.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I have never been fond of autumn because it heralds the approach of winter.
I do not like winter, but I like Autumn. I can say the same for Spring, it heralds the approach of summer that is a season that I dislike a lot.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I must admit that I do not like summer as much as I did in previous years because the heat affects me badly nowadays.
@Asylum I have the same problem, I cannot stand the heat anymore.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck I like Autumn - it will be busy for me with the film festival I'm working on coming up this month - I love chestnuts - we tend to get them more easily near Christmas
Autumn is a beautiful season, I surely like it a lot more than summer. We have the local chestnuts in October, later in November the big ones from Italy.
That sounds like a fun project. What type of film festival is it?-DB
• Preston, England
@dgobucks226 it's annual movie festival themed around movies relating to mental health issues - it is now in its 11th year
Oh, yes! It's a beautiful month here in New England. I have a wedding to attend this month! lol
I know Dianne, only a few nights, you must be excited.
@LadyDuck Five more sleeps to go! I'm so excited that I couldn't sleep last night.
@DianneN I think I would be unable to sleep either.
@bunnybon7 (33060)
• Holiday, Florida
i used to when i lived in Ohio but here it just is humid and not fun at all
Surely in Florida you miss the change of the colors of the leaves, I prefer November in Florida, at the end is also end of hurricane season.
@bunnybon7 (33060)
• Holiday, Florida
@LadyDuck good to hear. i hope you are sure of that. i am quite tired of hurricanes
@bunnybon7 YES, I am sure, Atlantic hurricane season is from June 1st to November 30, with a peak from late August through September. You are almost out of danger now.
I love your picture. Autumn is my favorite time of the year, and October in particular. We'll celebrate our anniversary this week and next weekend is Thanksgiving here in Canada.
Autumn is the most beautiful time of the year. I love the chestnuts and the smell that fills the air. You have two important celebrations coming soon.
@LadyDuck We do, and my medical procedure in between them both. Quite a week and start to the month.
@Juliaacv I remember you still had medical procedure that scared you a bit. I hope to have good news from you soon.
@Platespinner (18511)
I love autumn, but expect to be very, VERY busy for the next couple of months so I don't imagine I'll get to sit back and enjoy the season much.
I know that we are very busy this month, the schedule of November is not ready yet, but it's usually another busy month.
@LadyDuck I have a stage play to costume. Our community theatre is doing Alice in Wonderland. I suspect I'll be spending a lot of time with my sewing machine.
@Platespinner I loved the costumes of Alice in Wonderland, I imagine you are ready for a lot of sewing. Good luck. I hope Emmett is going to help.
@ramapo17 (19051)
• Melbourne, Florida
My sister was born on Halloween and every time we went out trick or treating she managed to get double the goodies.
We have a friend who was born on October 31st, but here Halloween is not celebrated, so no goodies for the kids.
@ramapo17 (19051)
• Melbourne, Florida
@LadyDuck Aww, the kids would have loved it. I loved it even when I took my kids out.
@ramapo17 I loved those kind of festival when I was young.
@thelme55 (11806)
I love Autumn when the leaves are golden to yellow and brown. The smell of the roasted chestnuts in my mind make me crave for it. That quote is nice.
I also love the smell of the chestnuts, a lot more that the taste, even if they are very good.
@thelme55 (11806)
@LadyDuck yes, me too. That is why I love to go to a Christmas market where I can smell this often.
I do like autumn. Very beautiful as the leaves all change. I love the quote. Busy month birthday wise - daughter, two granddaughters, and a niece. All in the last half of the month.
You have many birthdays to celebrate, only my brother has his birthday in October. It's a busy month, but I like it.
@LadyDuck It's one of my favorite months.